Gastroenterology Community
alkaline phosphatase level

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

alkaline phosphatase level

my alkaline phosphatase is 616 and I'm worried, is this a treatable problem?

This discussion is related to alkaline phosphatase.
I believe normal levels typically range from 20 to 140 IU/L (international units per liter). Although it can be slightly different depending upon the laboratory used, your level seems abnormally elevated. Since there are a variety of conditions that can cause elevation, it would depend on what the underlying cause is as to whether or not it's 'treatable.' You need to put this result together with any other test results and discuss it with your doctor.
Thanks for your reply.  I know that I'm concerned about the level of Alk Phosp.  I had a fractionated blood test and it shows that it is originating from the liver.  Of course I'm freaked out by this but the docs seem rather nonchalant.  In fact, my GP said it might be the early manifestation of bile duct blockage but wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear altogether.  However, he said that I should see the liver specialist re: next steps.  I feel pretty good overall except for the mental anguish and am at the point of wondering if I should pursue any more tests.  I have none of the symptoms for bile duct disorder, but I'm on the fence about moving forward.