Gastroenterology Community
anal fissure

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

anal fissure

I have had an anal fissure since mid September following a hysteretomy. I was first treated for hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) but finally asked to see a colon surgeon and was diagonsed with this fissure.He said the treatment for anal fissures was the same., sitz baths,fibre, water,stool softners etc. as hemmorids. He said that normally if a fissure doesn't heal in three months ,surgery is usually needed. After doing some research on my own I asked him about nitroglycerin cream 0.2. and he gave me a percription to try. I started using this on Dec. 20 and I have to see him again on Jan 8. The pain when I have a BM is definitely not as bad as it was. On starting with this fissure In Sept. the pain was horrible. I started using lydocaine on the Nov 26 and that definitlely helped also. My question is has anyone used the nitro cream and how long did it take to heal the fissure. How long before it was painless. I have to let him know on the 8 of January if I am going to have surgery the following week. I have to go out of the country for 2 months at the end of January, so he is fitting me in. Has anyone had this surgery and what was the recovery like. I would have the surgery on the 14 and leave two weeks later. If I thought the fissure would heal on its own I wouldn't have the surgery. I hope some one can answer these questions for me. Also If anyone has used this cream did you insert it in your anus or just around it. Also I am not having any spasms. just burning and pain when the BM is coming out. After that nothing. Thanks in advance
Tags: Recovery