Gastroenterology Community
anal irritation and small amts of blood on toilet paper

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ive been trying to identify the cause of a minor problem. Once in awhile after a bowel movement I notice the anal opening becoming sore and inflammed to a point that after wiping a few times with toilet paper, small spots of bright red blood appear on the toilet paper. Not too much, but enough to draw your attention. There is no actual pain. There is just discomfort, a slight burning sensation, and anal itching for a few hours after the bowel movement and there is a slight feeling of pressure when sitting. There is no other symptoms and there is no blood in the stool.

I'm quite certain it is an external issue since when I apply Prep H to the anal opening, the discomfort starts to go away until the next bowel movement which inflammes it again. It also doesnt seem to bleed until after wiping it a few times. The whole condition clears within a week but seems to come back if there is constipation or after intense exercise.
I've always had some sensitive skin in that area. But the first time I noticed this problem get like this is when I did a lot of walking combined with some constipation.

Ive not asked a doctor yet because the issue always goes away before it gets bad enough to make an appointment. And it doesnt happen all the time. My thinking tends to go towards it being hemorrhoids.

Im a male, mid 20s, healthy, slightly overweight, non-smoker, non-drinker.
Im not sure if this is it but maybe it's hemoriods.
Hi jerry - think bip is right on - does sound like haemorrhoids and I would see your PCP.  I would be wary about use Prep H - my Dad had haemorrhoids that had to be surgically removed and gastro said this irritated them even further. I have Crohn's and have a fistula that leaks from the anus and vagina. I use Zinc and Castor Oil cream - a big tub costs little from the pharmacy, and no prescription needed. It is very soothing when the outer skin on the anus burns. I use a bit of toilet paper to stroke it on.
Jerry 214: I think you might have what I have—anusitis. It may sound stupid, but t's a bowel irritation that reveals itself on your anus. For years I had the symptoms you're describing and I was prescribed a cortizone cream that helped a lot...until...suddenly the minor problem became a full-blown horrible itch that didn't go away until a colon specialist told me to stop eating certain foods: chocolate, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, coffee, tomato sauce... The list goes on. You'll find a lot of information online.

Good luck! And go see your doctor. Whatever it is it might get worse over time.

Shmopo