backed up stool
Hi.  I was in the er 2 days ago due to bad pain in my llq.  I had a colon resection 4 years ago and was told the last time this happened to not monkey around with the pain and go to the er.  Well it turned out that I was backed up with stool all the way to my stomach!  I am in Pain management and take 15 mg of percocet a day.  I have bowel movement, 2 or 3 every day, but sometimes I will miss a day.  When that happens I take miralax.  I also take fiber everyday and when I think about it ( bad I know) colace that was prescribed by gi.  they sent me home with presciption for miralax and had me drink citrate magnesium that night to clean out.  I am now following directions and doing what I was told to do.  My question is has this ever happened to any one else?  Thanks.
Constipation while taking Percocet is inevitable.  Docs often recommend Colace (stool softener) to help with the constipation but it's not very effective and as a result a stimulant laxative is needed.  Ask your doctor about what laxative he would recommend and remember that too much fiber is as bad as too little. Hope this helps.
Hi.  They said i need to take Miralax everyday.  Also fiber.  I'm curious why you said that too much fiber can be as bad as too little?
Fiber adds "bulk" to our stool, too much bulk makes things slow down and even stops things from passing on through.  Make sure you are also drinking lots of water.
Thanks.  I didn't know that.  I try to drink a lot of water.  I always thought that fiber helped move things along.  What type of stimulating laxative do you recommend?
I would call your GI doctor for a recommendation on a stimulant laxative since he knows your health history.
Okay, I sure will do that.  Thanks.
Hi.  I was told to take Colace and Miralax everyday.  Also, at the hospital they had me drink citrate magnesium, which really cleaned things out!  I bought a couple of bottles but have been leery to take as I could not stay off the toilet and afraid it would last to work time.  Do you know if it is safe to take laxatives ( Miralax) everyday?  I am wondering about the doc's advice as it seems I would get addicted to them.
Certain laxatives, like Miralax, are fine to take every day.  You won't get "addicted" to it.
I am going to my GI this week.  Can you recommend a prescription medication for constipation?
There are many very good laxatives that are over the counter.  Laxatives that require a prescription include Lactulose and Amitiza.
My dil is a medical assistant and I have asked her in the past about to much fiber, she said there is no such thing. Fiber yes may bulk up but it attaches to the wall/lining of the colon/intestines and pulls the junk/garbage from it, which is exactly what you want it to do. Key is drink plenty of fluids with the fiber to help flush the process through.
I am in this "misery" with you all. I have suffered with chronic constipation since 2001 after my hysterectomy. Diagnosed later in 2007 with "lazy" colon. I'm still on a mission to find something that works, as literally being "full of ****" is not a condition I'm content with!!!