Gastroenterology Community
bad constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

bad constipation

I've been constipated for about a week or so now, only little marbles of stool would come out and the past 2 days I didn't even have that. I took some mineral oil yesterday with no effect, so tonight I used a fleet saline enema which has worked for me before in about a minute in a half, this time i laid on the floor for like 15 minutes and didn't get the urge. I got up to expell it and it wouldn't come out at first, some of it did after a little while, but no bm. Should I go to the ER or wait and call my dr in the morning? I was diagnosed with IBS about 7 years ago, but I stopped taking the medication when I got pregnant with my daughter 5 years ago.
Take a laxative, to get things moving.  Then make sure you are eating fiber, and you may even want to try a stool softener like Miralx for awhile.  But also the bacteria in your system may be off, and eating Activia will get it back on track.  I would do the Activia first, some need it every day, others every other day.  Eat it every day for the first two weeks and go from there.  I think you're just really constipated.
Hi...go to the pharmacy and ask for magnesium citrate...it comes in lemon, cherry and orange flavors and is best refrigerated.

The Pharmacist can tell u what to take ect.....but do see a GI dr to find out what is going on....do u drink a lot of water?

Once u have gotten it all out, try making ur own fruit smoothies..I too have IBS and it does help to drink more water and get more fiber.

Good luck
"selma"
What works for me is fiber plus bars. I eat one of those and the next day i am no longer constipated. Good luck....