Gastroenterology Community
barium test

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

barium test

what and how it is done?
You haven't provided enough information. There are various forms of use for barium, so you'd have to give some idea of which test they're going to be doing.
Thanks...I told my dr.that my I have diff.shapes of my bowel.I have regular movement everyday always in the morning.She told me to have a barium enema test.No explanation about it. Until I received a phone call frrom the Imaging clinic to set an appt.and b-4 that I need to pick up a test kit. I am kind of scared cuz I am a very healthy person thanks God for guiding me.
It sounds as though the doc wants to perform a barium enema which is basically a special x-ray of the large intestine (colon and rectum) to look for structural featues and look for any changes/abnormalities. Before x-rays are taken, a liquid called barium sulfate is placed into the rectal area. This provides a 'contrast agent' that can highlight specific areas inside the body for a clear image.

You'll probably be placed on your side on an x-ray table and a preliminary x-ray is typically taken. Then the barium enema is administered. A small balloon at the tip of the enema tube may be inflated to help keep the barium inside your colon. The flow of the barium is monitored on an x-ray fluoroscope screen.

There are a couple types of barium enema. Depending on the type that's used, they'll either do a single contrast barium enema that highlights the large intestine, or a double contrast barium enema that uses barium, but it also delivers air into the colon to expand it (for better images). You're typically asked to move into different positions and the table is slightly tipped to get different views.

I appreciate your info very much.U gave me what i want to know.Will it be a painful procedure that i will be sedated? I am a very nervous person and worried about this test.Thank U so much for your time to ans. me..Lelet
By the way,pls.pray for me that nothing will turn out bad cuz I am living alone.