Gastroenterology Community
bile duct

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

bile duct

I have had left upper quadrant pain for 2-3 weeks. Had an abdominal CT and showed a mild intrahepatic and more prominent extrahepatic bile duct dilitation with the common bile duct in the region of the head of the pancreas measuring to about 10mm in size. There is mild prominence of the pancreatic duct in this region also. Findings are related to a strictue at the papilla though an ampullary mass can't be excluded. I am a 56 year old very healthy woman until 3 weeks ago. I had a cholecystectomy 36 years ago. Just want your opinion of what it could be? I am scheduled in 4 days for an MRI-MRCP. Thank you

This discussion is related to ampullary mass.
I am not a medical professional so I hope you understand that I can only give you an explanation that is based upon my understanding of the situation and it is by no means a medically informed one.

What this sounds like is that - for whatever reason - you have a dilated common bile duct from the area where it makes contact to the duodenum close to the pancreas. That enlargement is found along the length of the duct as you follow it back up and slightly into the liver. Many times people end up with enlargements due to stones blocking the duct long after the gallbaldder is gone.

An enlargement is also found in the area in which the duct from the pancreas meets or connects with the common bile duct. In many cases, this can also be due to the presence of stones and a backup of bile or pancreatic fluids.

They have evidently found a stricture, or a narrowing of the normal diameter, where the pancreatic duct and the common bile duct meet. Although it's not possible to really know what the stricture came from, it could be the result of irritation from stones, or perhaps due to long term spasms, or? The report also postulates that the narrowing could be due to some kind of a mass, and that the narrowing is not due to a stricture but instead there is a mass that results in the narrower diameter - possibly they couldn't visualize it very well.

Hopefully the MRCP will give you a clearer picture of exactly what is going on with both the common bile duct and the pancreatic duct, and will clear up the question of what is going on at the area where they 'open' to the duodenum.

Have they already done a blood test to check both your liver and pancreatic enzyme levels?