bile leak
I have a close friend that had laparoscopy surgery, having a gastric bypass. She had a bile leak and she is now in ICU heavily sedated on a respirator, her pancreas has shut down and she has this black liquid coming out of her mouth. What are her chances of recovery? and what kind of complications will she have?
Sissy, I don't believe there is way of any of us could tell you you where your friend's health stands after the surgery. There are a number of factors that we have no understanding of. Many of those depend on the type of operation that was done. In many gastric bypass procedures, the gallbladder is not touched, So it begs the question why would they be 'near' the gallbladder? And where is the bile leaKing from - common bile duct, extrahepatic ducts, the gallbladder proper????
Thank you for your response, CalGal. I know that my friend went in for hernia surgery and gastric bypass, and now she is not able to breath on her own due to this bile leak. The doctors said that it was her stomach leaking and they did a second operation on her,becuse she was also bleeding and losing a lot of blood. I saw her the other day and she does not look good. I just never heard of what a bile leak can do to your body.