Gastroenterology Community
black stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

black stool

I have had constant abdominal pain and have started having black stool along with some red blood in it. I have been to the doctors before and was said to have internal hemorroids (hemorrhoids). What do you think my condition is and should i bother going to the ER? thank you!
If your stool is black the cause is other than internal hemorrhoids. If the black is due to blood, it's blood that's being put out somewhere just past the stomach. The 'red' will turn black as it travels through the digestive system. Make sure that the doc does further tests to find out why you're experiencing black stools. Work with a doc, not the ER. The ER isn't going to do much except to tell you to see your doctor.

Further to Calgal's very sound advice, the medical name for these black/tarry blood-impregnated stools is MELENA.  You might want to look up possible symptoms, causes etc on google so that you are more fully informed when you see a doctor - hopefully a GI specialist.  Do take prompt medical advice.  I would expect you to undergo both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy for maximum (hopefully...??) reassurance etc.

regards
Morecambe
Whoahh... I just want to put my 2 cents in. Black stools along with constant abdominal pain?? This very well *could* be serious (ie internal bleeding). I vote for going to the ER. Just my opinion and I speak from vomiting up buckets of blood and waiting about 8 hours to go to the ER which was a near fatal mistake. Take care and keep us posted.
thank you everyone, I went to the ER and after a CAT scan they said I have Crohns Disease and need to see a GI doctor and get a colonoscopy.