Gastroenterology Community
bleeding from rectum

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

bleeding from rectum

I have bright red blood coming from my rectum. It has happened before but I assumed it was from running, because when I run it causes diarhea (diarrhea) of sorts.  I, also, have a dull ache in my lower back. I was wondering what could be causing this.  I am an alcoholic but have been sober for awhile now.  What could be causing this?
I don't know about the running part and causing diarhea (diarrhea). But if you have blood coming from your rectum or when you have a bowel movement, it may be hemorrhoids which can be inside or outside of the rectum. It is not anything major. You're given meds to treat it. But just to be on the safe side, you should consult your doctor.

As you are 40, you should seek medical advice.  Rectal bleeding is never normal and should always be investigated.  Type in rectal bleeding to google/yahoo to ascertain all possible causes for discussion when you visit your doctor/specialist.  Unless the doctor can give you a definite diagnosis that the cause is one of the more minor ones (haemorrhoids, anal fissure etc) I suggest that you ask for a colonoscopy.

regards
Morecambe