bleeding getting worse
Hi there

I have now been getting anal bleeding for the best part of a year (see previous feeds). There is definitely some deteriortation in my symptoms (e.g more severe, heavy, regular bleeding - virtually daily with some darker blobs and strands - and upper central abdominal discomfort and general bloating, nausea).

My sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, barium xray, blood tests (coeliac disease) and stool results have all come back negative. Getting frustrated as I know there's something up and I don't believe it's simply piles. Can you help me understand why the bleeding isn't showing up on tests.

Many thanks
Hi there,
There are several causes of anal bleeding like haemorrhoids, anal fissure, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, rectal carcinoma and polyps. You have got several tests done. Other tests that may be done are nuclear medicine studies which may pinpoint areas of slow bleeding.Angigraphy may be used to evaluate active areas of brisk bleeding.CT scan can detect diverticulitis or tumors in the bowel. Seek the opinion of an experienced gastroenterologist. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for your response. This is really helpful. I will keep you posted.
Hi again

Just following on from your response to my last entry, From just before Christmas to mid February ALL of my previous sympoms virtually vanished (e.g. no bleeding, no stomach cramps, no bug feeling/nausea, firmer stools, etc). I hadn't changed anything about my diet yet I actually felt relatively healthy and myself for the first time in ages.

I informed the consultant of this at my last visit (mid Jan) and was told that it is likely to be IBS and was given some Meberevine tablets. After a week or so I felt constipated so stopped taking them. My gut instinct (not very scientific I know!) is that it is some kind of recurring infection rather than nutrition-related but I could be wrong .

In the last week, all of my symtoms have returned; today being my worst day. I have felt 'washed out', 'fuzzy headed', 'bug -like', have stomach cramps, sludgy ginger coloured 'burning' stools and bleeding. It feels exactly the same as before.

I wondered whether you had any ideas from my re-occuring symptoms as to what is going on? whether anything can be done about it? My next hospital appointment isn't until May I think.

Thanks again