Gastroenterology Community
bleeding one week after colonoscopy/polyp removed

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Had polyp removed one week + a day ago during colonoscopy. Post- instructions said to wait one week for any heavy activity. Today decided to mow lawn and did trimming.  Had bloody stool with moderate amount of blood in stool and a little bright red blood at the end.  I assume I caused some new bleeding with the activity, but don't know how serious it is.  Do I go to ER or wait and see if it stops?  My MD does not take call on weekends, so I am left to decide for myself what I should do.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks..
Well, consider this.  Usually after a colonoscopy, a person will get a little constipated, takes a while for waste to move easily down a digestive tract that has been completely emptied.  If you have had a little of that, then probably the blood you saw had to do with that hard waste pushing on the sensitive tissues where it comes out, hemorrhoids are usually the culprit of blood like yours.  Put some lotion or plain KY jelly on the area after bathing, so next time you have a movement, it won't hurt those tissues too much.  Also drink extra water and slowly add more fiber type foods to your diet.  

As for the place where polyp came out, it could be it did bleed for a while, then clotted as normal, and really should not have bled anymore after one week.  The activity you did helps waste move, so I think that's all that did to you, is get some old waste out of there.  I would say you would go to the ER if it begins to dribble blood when you are not in the toilet, rather it bleeds as you go about your normal activities, OR if a whole lot of blood comes out when you go, not just some on the waste or tissue.

In the meantime, rest up today and lay around, and on Monday morning early, call your doc and tell him what happened, and he can take over from there.  Just keep in mind that the body will clot by itself and you shouldn't just bleed profusely and endlessly, so I do not think you are in any imminent danger, just only if it keeps bleeding outta there when you're not in the toilet.