Gastroenterology Community
bloating, sick feeling, and mild pain in abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I started getting bloated and nauseous about 4 years ago after eating peanuts, mushrooms or really fatty foods. I went to my doctor and he ordered a gallbladder ultrasound, which showed a small polyp less than 3cm near the neck of the gallbladder. A surgeon offered to remove the gallbladder, but also suggested that if I could deal with the discomfort and could alter my diet to avoid the foods that bothered me, I would be OK doing nothing. He did say that the polyp could be causing my symptoms. He also suggested that I get an ultrasound of the gallbladder yearly for a few years to make sure that the polyp isn't growing, since a larger polyp could turn cancerous. I've had two additional ultrasounds and they all came back the same, with no growth of the polyp. Lately I have been getting  bloated with mild abdominal pain and went to a gastroenterologist. He said that surgery should always be a last resort and suggested a breath test, which I completed last month and came back "abnormal", showing an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut. He then put me on antibiotics for 14 days, which I just finished up two days ago. After this course of treatment I feel terrible and my stomach looks like I swallowed a basketball because of the bloating. I'm hoping this is because all of the good bacteria was killed off by the antibiotics along with the bad, and that if I wait a few weeks and take pro-biotics I can build up the good ones and be back to normal. My wife, who is an RN, keeps telling me to have my gall bladder removed as she is sure this is my problem. Has anyone had a similar experience who can shed light on what may be the cause? It is amazing to me that in 2008, our doctors still cannot definitively diagnose many problems with certainty. Thanks
Tags: bloating