bloating after colectomy
I had a complete coectomy in 1999 after being unresponive to medications for ulcerative colitis. I do not have
an ileotomy, but the surgeon formed a "pouch" at my rectum. I really haven't had many complications other
than a blockage and pouchitis. I have recently noticed infrequent periods of bloating high in my abdomen that
are very uncomfortable, even to the point of abstaining from a normal diet. Several months ago, I had tried a new
allergy medicine that was a 24-hour pill. I wound up in the ER because I couldn't eat at all without severe bloating
and discomfort. I thought something was seriously wrong, especially since I had lost 5 lbs in 3 days. After a series of tests, they couldn't find anything and sent me to my regular Gastro MD who couldn't determine anything either.  We concluded that the makeup of the timed-release medicine and the way it works in the digestive sytem were the cause. Yesterday, I had a similar episode that carried on throughout all day today, accompanied with back pain.
I did not discontinue eating, but decreased the amount of food I ate. It is very uncomfortable and I wonder if it is an indication of some other complication. My doctor didn't seem to know anything that would be common for someone in my condition. Do you have any insight?
try HealingWell.com ostomy forum - there are a lot of folk on there who could help you.