Gastroenterology Community
blocked liver duct?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

blocked liver duct?

For the past two years I have had incredible pain that started like a butterfly sensation under the right side rib cage.  The pain has gotten progressively worse.  I feel sick all the time, very weak and have a very dark coloured foul smell urine.  I don't have a gall bladder.  I have MS and diverticulitis which the doctor saqid are not related.  My doctor has told me it is likely a pinched nerve but truthfully I can feel something like a bulge under the rib cage.  I'm also very itchy all time with strange rashes.  I hate to complain but I feel so terribly sick and wondered if a walk in clinic I went to diagnosis could be right.  The doctor said he was very sure I have a blocked liver duct.  I have never used drugs and at age 50 have never been intoxicated.  Just never liked the taste of alcohol.  I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have.  with kindest regards, kathy
It is possible it could be some unfortunate changes that have happened since you had your GB removed. Please check back with your doc and discuss the fact that stones and sludge do form after GB surgery and they can cause problems. You may want to discuss or ask to have an MRCP done as one of the first steps in trying to find out what's going on. Also ask to have your liver and pancreatic enzyme levels checked. That itch and rash could be due to problems with bilirubin. But also check out the possibility of celiac disease which can also cause itch and rash. It probably would having nothing to do with the right side discomfort, but it should be checked out.
I agree with everything that "CalGal" said above. I am having the same symtoms (symptoms) of pain under my right rib cage and I am hoping to get my GI doc to request the MRCP also since I have already had my gallbladder removed. Please keep us posted on your diagnosis, treatment and outcome for it really helps the people with the same symtoms (symptoms) waiting to see doctor or get results. Thankks!