Gastroenterology Community
blood in stool hx colon polyps family history colon ca

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi I am a 44 year old female, with recent bright red blood in my when  i wipe after diarrhea. I have a history of colon polyps 1 year ago and my mother has colon ca Diagnosed June 07 with soft tissue mets (specifically 7.3 cm x 5.3 cm X3.5 cm paraspinal muscle met) confirmed with biopsy 9 days ago. Do you think I should seek another colonoscopy soon, I was told last year every 5 years, what are the chances mine is ca?
Xes, you should have another colonoscopy. Except, if you can say that the blood is from hemorrhoids.
I agree with boron.  You are at the age when the more sinister colon diseases can develop - and on top of that you have a family history of colon cancer.

One of my wife's uncles procrastinated when he had noticed rectal bleeding and, as a consequence, colon cancer was diagnosed - but too late.  The doctor said "if only you had come to me sooner....."

Unless your doctor can categorically confirm that the bleeding originates from a minor source, then I suggest that you insist on a colonoscopy - and maybe challenge your doctor as to whether 5 year intervals are too long.

You deserve the maximum reassurance that medical science can provide

Good luck
Morecambe
Since my last post i have scheduled an appointment with my gastrointerologist, by BM's have changed, The diharrhea has gone from "normal" color to a 'brick Red" to green with at least 1 bean sized black piece. It has also become more watery. I am pretty nervous although I know it can be anything from hemorrhoids to cancer. My colonoscopy 2 years ago also showed  a few diverticula and 2nd degree hemorrhoids. At that time my reason for the scope was anemia. There was no bleeding at that time. I did have gastric bypass surgery in Jan 04. That was determined to be the cause of the anemia, an inability to absorb iron, I had iron infusions and have not had anemia since. Any advice or input is appreciated.
Even with a family history of colon cancer, it is early to have a cancer at 44. Polyps also rarely bleed. Blood from hemorrhoids wouldn't mix with the stool to give brick red appearance, so it's more likely this is from diverticula.

Those black pieces could also be blood - from the stomach. Such blood is tarry, sticky, so you can check this by yurself, or take it to the laboratory.
I went to my GI Dr. today. He said he felt a small hemorrhoid, no active red blood today. He did order a colonoscopy to be done in 2 weeks, thats the soonest we could get it scheduled.He also ordered blood work I will have drawn tomorrow,  CBC and Metabolic profile. I hope baron is correct about the diverticula, although I don't know what the treatment for that is.
Diverticula may be infected (diverticulitis) - in this case you get antibiotics. In ongoing problems, a part of colon with diverticula can be removed.
I had gastric bypass surgery 4 1/2 years ago, could any of this be due to that and could the surgery change treatment options.
Gastric bypass is not connected with a bright red blood. Bright red blood comes from distal parts of colon. Green diarrhea may be due to small intestinal malabsorption. Those black things should be checked in the lab.

Have a colonoscopy, and think from that point on.
I had my colonoscopy today, showed hemorrhoids s the culpret. I had a chest pain all evening but feel it was probably gas. I still dont have an explination for the left side pain when eating and bloating of the upper abdomen with meals.
You get bloated shortly after the meal? You ,aybe also burp?

Then, you should gave a breath test for H. pylori.