Gastroenterology Community
bowel obstruction with mild abdominal pain upper left side

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

plz i need help,iam a 32 years old femal,resently diagoned with cronic (chronic) peptic ulcer,takin omiprazole,the pain has reduced but i still have a dull mid upper abdominal pain,resently i also discorvered i cant have a bowel movement without laxzatives,i cant gas and have become depressed and withdrawn,plz what can b wrong with me,loss of weight and appitite even thirst,donont know if its cazuse am depressed plz help
If you need laxatives to have a bowel movement, you definitely need to see a GI specialist, ASAP. Laxatives are dangerous as the body does become dependent on them as they do to drugs, and you eventually have to take more and more to get the same effect. Also, the longer you are on laxatives, the less likely you will be able to regain self-controlled bowel movements off laxatives in the future. Some people even require colostomies. And first, if you cannot pass gas, that's a sign of obstruction which means you should seek treatment at the ER as an obstruction is very serious and requires urgent treatment. Constipation and GI issues can definitely contribute to depression, especially if you are a female as it affects body image and self-esteem. I bet the sooner you get your bowels back in shape, the sooner you'll feel better emotionally. So I suggest going to the ER and getting evaluated by an obstruction. Next scheduling an appointment with your primary doctor to get a referral to a GI specialist. A secret is I struggle with the same problem right now, but I have Medi-Cal and it takes forever for a referral to go through. What helped me was to go shopping for empire wasted shirts so I could hide my stomache as it's always swollen and bloated now! Good luck to you and take action before things get worse, your bowels are at stake!

Sara, RN