Gastroenterology Community
burning stomach/chest...inspite of 80 mg protonix

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

hi, i am 21 year old young guy , about 4 months ago i started to get excesive burning in the stomach
and chest..went for an upper GI series and an endoscopy that came out to be normal.all the blood tests came out fine as well.But this burning sensation doesnt seem to end , it lasts for 24 hours
i have been on nexium 40 mg a day which initialy controlled the symptoms, then the problem came back, then i came to india and the doctor swithched me to aciphex 40 mg a day that completely cured my problem. now after taking it for a month it seems to be ineffective as well..the doctor switched me to protonix 80 mg a day but and an antacid but they dont seem to help at all.
can anyone tell me what is happening to me? is this GERD? doctors said it is but why are the
PPI's not working for me now..i cannot live with this burning anymore, its extremely distessful,
i feel the burning all the time , seems like a fire stove is burning in my stomach..
any advice would be highly appreciated..
Try Gaviscon, and cut out dairy products and see if it helps.
I also have found the PPIs stop working for me! This is very aggravating, especially when I hear about people on Protonix drinking red wine and claiming their reflux is cured.

There are some alternative web sites that claim some people don't have enough acid and that the PPIs -- in this case -- make things worse. They recommend actually taking HCL in formula called SuperEnzymes. I'm afraid to try to this myself! But maybe you can ask you doctor if it's possible if you have too little acid. I dunno, but it sucks. I have mild chest pain all the time that worsens at night. Chewing gum really helps.