Gastroenterology Community
burping

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

burping

There were a lot of discussions from people with persistent burping in 2005. I have similar symptoms. I wonder any useful treatment/remedy was reported? Please help.  

This discussion is related to burping.
You may want to consider checking out whether or not you have H. pylori. Many people who have the bacteria have problems with burping.
i am 33, female and i have suffered from all manner of intestinal and digestive problems since middle school.  my biggest problems right now are gas, bloating, motility and BURPING.  i have not found any answers or test results that have helped me and no medications that will help.  drs have shrugged it off as normal for ibs but no advice.  
BUT>>>>THIS HEPLS ME FEEL BETTER....
as far as the burping is concerned i can usually find relief from a small glass (2 to 3oz) of warm water w/ a teaspoon of baking soda stirred in. drink it quickly before the baking soda settles but don't gulp.  sit in a lotus position and take deep breaths forcing my diaphragm out w/ my hand gently pushing upward on it.  as i release the breath i hunch gently forward and and then repeat this slowly and focusing on where the "burp" is in my tummy.  i can feel it rising and often have to force myself to let it out. like a heave, really. sometimes it comes quickly w/ a few repetitions on the breathing exercise  sometimes it takes awhile, taking a break, trying again.  after i get the air monster out i can pat my upper intestines gently to get more air out.  this is no cure but it helps me cope.  i have to do this at least once a day.  i caution you to not try to force it too much or hurry the process as i have made myself throw up before.  i do not know the science behind this...the baking soda drink came from my gramma...i have perfected the process of relaxing and breathing and pushing and making it work for me over the years.  when i was a child often i could NOT burp after taking the drink until i cried.  odd, eh?  
i am looking for a solution to this strange constant burping and all i am finding is more people looking for the same thing!!  yikes!  
through all these years of suffering all my digestive and intestinal problems i have maintained a focus on the positive...looking forward to feeling better in any way and enjoying everything that i can...
~chandajoy
Has anyone considered hypochlorhydria/achlorhydria as a potential cause of this? I was on Zantac for duodenitis for 2 years and noticed that, if I stopped taking the Zantac, I would get some burning in my esophagus so I kept taking it.  However, after the 2 years I started burping uncontrollably.  Like not big ones, just little ones that would build up.  If i was laying down I would have to sit up to let it all out.  This started after a long weekend of heavy drinking.  I thought antacid would help but the more Zantac I took, the worse it got.

I stopped the Zantac and the burning came back but I stuck it out and it went away after 2 days and stopped the alcohol and the burping went away.

I believe the cause of the burping is due to lack of stomach acid (achlorhydria) which results in food not being broken down properly and just sitting in your stomach making gas.  You can take betaine hydrochloride pills and see how that works.

Also, the symptoms for NOT having enough acid are the same as having too much, as weird as it seems.  I recall one article that talked about how the flap from your stomach to your esophagus would not close without the proper acid pH.
Wow, I had no idea this was a problem for anyone other than me. I've been having burping problems for the past few months, and getting nauseous during burping "sessions." I don't have heartburn to go with it. I thought it might be due to a switch in medications, but when I switched to yet another medication, the symptoms persisted. I've been too embarrassed to go to my doctor about this - I really don't know what to say about it - but seeing all these comments has made me want to find out the cause (although there seems to be no relief).

A lot of you have desk jobs - I have to say I am the minority, as I'm a photographer who works outdoors all day.
my wife is in the hospital now,she burps alot and stomache pain was bad enough for her to go to hospital.Doctors have done endoscopy today,and she has gastritis.She had Crohn's disease about 2yrs ago.Saddly,this disease is becomming more and more popular,and is miss-diaginosed.
i have had burping issue forever.I would get these like attacks and the only thing that would help is self induced burping it feels kinda like pressure and or panic attack feeling
i changed my diet and that helped alot!!!No soda,chocolate,tamato anything,greasy food (the worste),red meat and similar things try it..
oh and try prilosec it has helped me even though i do not get heart burn
My mother has always had a burping problem but it seems to be getting worse as she ages. She definitely has some GI issues but she believes that Zocort causes indigestion which causes her to have episodes of uncontrollable burping. In addition to the burping she often experiences chest pains and a fluttering heartbeat. Has anyone else had similar experiences with Zocort?
i posted about this burping gassy bloatedness in march and i wanted to share something that i have experienced (by accident) recently.  i have been in phys therapy for my back problems since the 4th of may.. since that time i have slowly but surely been doing more physical activity.  i've struggled so much w/ my ibs and my back for the last couple of years that i found myself doing less and less physically.  i've always known in the back of my mind that it's all interrelated...now i know for certain.  i have noticed in the last 2(ish) weeks that my burping and gas has let up.  my bloating and abdominal discomfort has decreased markedly and my constipation is getting manageable.  this is quite a wake up call for me and i am so motivated to continue working out.  i hate working out!!!  BUT.  as i walk more and do more crunches...all of it getting better.  not healed completely but on my way!  give it some thought--try it out.
I have read the comments and I suffer the same issues.  I have upper right abdominal pain, burping, dizziness.  It also affects my breathing.  Stress makes it worse.  I have ulcerative colitis for which I take sulfasalazine.  From past experience, I can say that when stress gets the best of me, I get my colitis back.  As I age, it is getting harder to recover.  This all causes stress and make sit more difficult to get healthy.  I sit at a desk all day which probably des not help.  But I do get regular exercise.  I am trying different things with my diet.  I avoid dairy, alcohol and red meat.  But I can not get a consistent state of well being.  It is frustrating to me and my spouse.  The doctors can find nothing seriously wrong.  If I find a majic cure, I will post.  Otherwise, all I can say is look at what makes you stressed out and try and change how you look at it.  My commute was really getting to me along with global warming and the price of gas.   I will do my part but I will not get stressed out about everyone else doing their part.
I have dealt with the burping issue for over 10 years, been to Dr. had tests, tried meds, etc. no relief.  I kept researching until I came upon information about lactose intolerance.
Now, I had considered it before, but because symptoms didn't always follow immediately after consuming dairy, had dismissed it. The thing that jumped out at me though, was how the dairy sits in your stomach and can't be broken down because of a lack of the digestive enzyme needed to digest the dairy, so bacteria that are in your stomach begin to work on it, and give off gases as a result.  That  explained for me why sometimes I would simply get up in the morning and drink a cup of water, and then begin to burp and feel bloated.  After giving it a week with no dairy, and having no symptoms, (for the first time in YEARS), I was convinced.  I'm still learning what I can and can't tolerate, and sometimes a little now and then (with some supplements that can be bought over the counter,) doesn't bother me much, but I have learned that if I have dairy too often it really builds up to a bad "episode".  I am also looking into other "intolerances" as I occasionally still get problems, though I don't think I have consumed dairy.( But. I've also learned, it can hide in things you don't think about, so I have to watch my ingredient labels).  I am so happy to have at least gotten the relief I have gotten, I want to pass it on to anyone else it might help, so best wishes and don't give up!
Wow, I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I started burping about three months ago. At first it wasn't that bad but lately it's been worse. I can literally feel the gas sitting on my stomach. From the time I get up in the morning till I go to bed, I am burping but usually around sun down it would go crazy. I burp so much, it hurts to drink anything for my cotton mouth. Others times it scares me because a burp would come up but stop right at the top of my throat making it hard to breathe or even swallow it back down. I really don't want to go to the hospital especially since my mother just had her gall bladder removed.

Is there anything OTC that I can test and see if it will work for me?
My husband burps all the time for 2-3 years now. It is driving us both crazy, as it is uncomfortable for him, and really annoying for me. He sometimes burps half a night, and I cannot sleep. He has no other pains or symptoms. he tried apple cider vinegar, it seems to help just a little bit. He tried digestive enzymes, also just a little better, but nothing really helps. We are at a loss. He is uncomfortable in public, and it is really annoying at home. Not sure what to do. . .
I know someone that had this burping issue all the time. Finally the docs figured out it was corn syrup.
i am 22 years old and everytime i wake up in the morning i have nausea and instead of vomiting i end up just burping. No heartburn or any other types of symptoms but that. I have no pains just constant nausea and burping. This usually happens when I have an empty stomach and all the symptoms seem to go away as soon as i eat something. I do smoke and I am starting to consider that this may be the main reason...being of all the air that gets sucked in.

Anything would help??????

Thank you
I have constant burping too, from the time I get up in the morning before I've even eaten or drank anything. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Crohns and had a mass cut out of my small intestine. I'm supposed to be in remission now. I don't know if this is something I'll just have to live with or what, but I have almost constant nausea and burping every day. It does get old.
Here in canada and Im sure its avalible in the states Ask your Dr for Pantoloc or Pantoprazole 40 M.G It stops all that dead in its tracks especially if you had your Gall Bladder Removed.Its expensive here in canada but I have a plan as Long as I have a job Im save!! Try it and you will see a huge improvement!
I'm so glad I found this site.  I'm 27 years old and my uncontrollable burping started 2 months ago.  It's driving me nuts.  It's bothersome and mildly painful.  I've tried Tums and Rolaids with no luck.  I appreciate all the helpful advice.  I'm going to first try and cut all dairy.  We'll see.  Thanks!
My girlfriend also has constant burping at night. Usually triggered by laying down in bed or laying on a sofa or couch. we have a couple good ideas that may help narrow it down for someone. Since no one has yet to find anything that helps.

She has done two things that may have started her constant burps. She moved to Denver from washington. High altitude. The other is that she has started birth control pills when the constant burping started. I wonder if this is a factor because I noticed that most of the post related to this style of constant burping seem to be posted by women.

Hope these two things might help.

-Brett
My problems started from food poisoning, and my doctor putted me on two weeks of antibotics for my nose infection.   I have suffered extreme acid reflux (can't sleep), chest pain, short of breath, indigestion, gas and burping all day long.   I have tried all most all of the over the counter medications and other prescribed acid blockers but non of them seems to work right.   Listed it in the order of used.

1. alka selzer
2. prevacid
3. zantac
4. prilozec
5. maalox  
6. mylanta  
7. pepto-bismol  
8. nexium
9. omeprazole

After a period of 5 months with no improvements, I decided to try antibotics for H-Pylori, I took it for 10 days and feel recovered from the acid reflux completely.  (I did this without health insurance nor testings).  JUST DO IT, since most of my symptoms resembled H-Pylori infection.

However, my gas and extremely burping has began.  I feel constant bloating and burping non stop through out the day.  I suffered from gas bloating for 2 months.  This time I decided to find the cure naturally.  And here are the products I've tried, listed in the order of used.

1. fresh aloe vera (mix with regular honey) - soothing, but didn't remove my problems
2. yugurt w/ probiotics - (didn't help)
3. tum tablets/probiotics pill (2 millions count per pill) - didn't help (CVS, HEB)
4. bean gas enzime - (CVS, HEB) - didn't help
5. apple cidar vinegar - when I have extreme indigestion / gas, it helps, but it's like gasoline, won't work went you run out :).
6. Manuka Honey UMF16 (eat whole before bed) - it works great so far, soothing, and the acid reflux goes away smoothly, but then again you gotta have one handy jar around.  
7. Digestive Advantage - for Gas - (walmart) - my gas has stoped
8. Culturelle - probiotics (walmart) (10 billiions per pill) - bloating has stoped

On top of that I avoid gluten foods (wheat), carbonated drinks, chew my food slowly etc.

I am 34 yrs old male.  Nobody knows you better than yourself.

Email me to compare your results.  ***@****      Ti

and PASS IT ON!
Have you been to your gastroentorologist yet?  I think I have same symptom as yours.  Let me know of your result if any.  I've posted my problem but have not gotten any comment.  Here is what I've posted:

I've been burping excessively for the last 7 weeks now.  Starts 20 minutes after I get up in the morning.  It's like 30 to 45 minutes apart when my stomach is empty and 5 to 10 minutes when I'm full.  Also noticed when I'm full it's hard to burp sometimes, nothings coming up.  A few times regurgitated small amount of food after burping, feel nauseated sometimes.  Only relief is when I'm lying down, so I don't burp when sleeping.  Been to my primary physician after a week my burping started and was given prilosec, tried for 10 days didn't help.  Went back to him and told him the medicine is not working, had me scheduled for ultrasound the following week.  Got the result and pancreas, gallbladder and liver are all ok.  Went to my gastroentorologist last June 5, will have an endoscopy on Jul.6 (what a long wait).  He gave me nexium, helping a little bit I think.  Losing weight too, I don't know if this is because of my anxiety, having problem sleeping because of worrying too much.  Does anybody have any idea?
Are you still symptom free after stopping the Culturelle  and the Digestive Advantage ? Did you have a coated tongue  along with the burping before taking the supplements ?
Did you have diarrhea before taking the supplements ?

No coated tongue, no diarrhea.

My sympton didn't improve after 3 weeks on culturelle and digestive advantage (it helped in the beginning, but like other drugs it didn't solve my gas problem completely).  I have switched to gas X and was able to get full sleep now.  I have also scheduled to see a specialized gastroenterologist doctor.    I will let you guys know if they ever find out what I have had...

But for now I suspect I have hypothryoidism

Hi Group,

I am so thankful to have found this post. The last 3 years have been a roller coaster of miserable burpiness that it seems only you guys understand. My issues started towards the end of my 2nd pregnancy when I felt like I couldn't breathe and thought it was asthma related. My doctor assumed it was due to my weight gain and the baby resting on my lungs. I will also state that I was very sick with nausea during both my pregnancy's which led me here as well.

After my son was born in 2006, I had an upper endoscopy done and they found a small hiatal hernia and they diagnosed me with GERD and I was put on Protonix. Initially it seemed to work but as with most things, the medicine became less effective after about a year. I was then moved to 40mg Zegerid which was increased to 2x daily about 12 months ago. For about the last year the Zegerid has only been working about 25% of the time. My biggest issue like most of you stated is that my main symptom is the excessive belching and here lately, I have a burning sensation in my throat, equal to where my neck is located, that comes and go's. I'm taking carafate 4x per day to coat the esophagus, which helps control the burning in my throat. I was recommended for Nissen fundoplication surgery (360 wrap) and was supposed to have it done yesterday 7/30/09.

I couldn't shake the fact that all this just didn't add up! So about 2 weeks ago I spoke to someone who had the surgery and after he explained his complications AND the fact that his symptoms were totally different from mine (I've never really had heartburn) I canceled the surgery...thank GOD! I am scheduled to meet with a Traditional Chinese Medicine Dr. and after reading hundreds of posts tonight, I am thinking it's related to either lactose intolerance or a small intestine issue or other suggestions to check out further. I think it's also important to note though that I did a manometry procedure (which was horrible) and it confirmed that I have an incompetent LES (lower esophageal sphincter) which I feel has been caused by this issue and I get canker sores in my mouth regularly as well (not sure if there's a link there or not).

I am going to the TCM Dr. on 8/12/09 for a full allergy test and acupuncture and I will post my findings after my 1st session. I have lifted the head of my bed, which has helped and started an elimination diet, which has helped. I then ate tacos for dinner tonight with cheese and sour cream and here it is 3:30AM and I'm still suffering with the burps...how stupid am I!!

Thanks to all of you for making me feel not so alone in this big frustrating world of burpiness! Please feel free to contact me or offer any suggestions! May God heal us all of this frustrating ailment!

:)Sabrina
AFTER 9 MONTHS OF ACID REFLUX, INDIGESTIONS, BURPINGS....

I AM CURED, NATURALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ON MY OWN)

STEP 1) Stop taking all the meds

STEP 2) Follow this diet:

Foods to Avoid

Aged cheeses, alcohol, chocolate, dried fruits, fresh fruits (I eat small amount during day time), fermented foods, soy sauce, mushrooms, vinegar, glutenous foods (wheat, rye, oats, barley), all sugars, honeys and syrups (that includes any ‘ose’, like lactose, sucrose etc), and foods that contain yeast or mold (breads, muffins, cakes, baked goods, cheese, dried fruits, melons, peanuts - although nutritional and brewer’s yeasts are not harmful, as they do not colonize in the intestines).

Foods to Eat

Vegetables (including plenty of raw garlic), protein foods (beef, chicken, eggs, fish), live yogurt cultures (both dairy and non-dairy,) FOS*, whey, acidophilus, green algae (such as spirulina and chlorella), nuts, seeds and oils, and non-glutenous grains (like millet, rice, rice bran and oat bran).  TRY TO EAT FISH AND COOKED VEGETABLE FOR DINNER.

AND STEP 3:

DRINK glacéau SMART WATER (AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, I STARTED OFF WITH 6 BOTTLES A DAY, NOW I AM DOWN TO 1) BUT IT MAKE ME GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!  (YOU CAN GET THIS WATER FROM TARGET, WALMART)

I though I was a gonner until I went on vacation and stumbled upon this water!!!

AND LIKE  Sabrinaburpsalot I HAVE AN ENDOSCOPIC SCHEDULED FOR THIS WEEK, BUT I CANCELLED.
Interesting! and congratulations!

What are the ingredients in the glaceau water?

I was recently following a thread about fructose malabsorption ( look for posts by "boron") and have been leaving off foods with alot of fructose such as fruit (which we think is GOOD for us), and just sweets in general ( I have a sweet tooth a mile long), and I have had much less problems.  I did however try some nuts one day and IMMEDIATELY began the belching.  I posted previously when I thought I'd found a "cure" in leaving lactose products out of my diet, but now I wonder if it is more about the sugar in the ice cream, yogurt, and other dairies that bother me most.  

any reason why raw garlic?

Get this:  as a result of some of the stuff  I read on the fructose malabsorption, I wanted to see if I could get the "hydrogen breath tests" they suggested when I have my upcoming gastroenterologist appt.  The nurse I spoke with said she had never even heard of the tests?  I broke down and made the appt. because of a recent really bad bout I had, but after reading these posts again, I wonder if  there's any real help to be found with these doctors?

Please keep us posted on your progress/success!

If you like garlic, then eat more of it.  If not then eat what you can.  The smart water has electrolyte (its more effective then drinking powerade, to me) which will help your body recoup from dehydration/fatigue.  

These are the foods I eat:

rotisserie chicken, grill fish (no skins), fry fish (no skin), steam fish, green beans, corn, mash potatoe (no gravy), oatmeal (apple cinnamon), apple sauce, jello (plain), arby's roast beef (no breads, just the beef), vetgetable soups ("victory with vegetable!"), banana, coconut milk, steam chicken, vitamins water, probiotic yogurt, steak (without the a1 or tobasco), okra, tomatoes (small amount), orange juice (small amount) etc...

Foods that gave me bloating to painful attacks:

carbonated drinks, beef jerky, mushrooms, chocolates, crackers, sunflower seeds, soy sauce, chese, bread.

People told me this method takes about 6 months or longer for the stomach to cure itself (to build up the normal flora).   Then you can go back to eat normal foods again.

My granddaughter who is eight has not been able to attend school since August. She has belly pain and burping and spiting like no body's business. She doesn't sleep half of the night due to this. We are besides ourselves we don't know what to do. If anyone has a child that has had this problem and has help please e-mail me at ***@****,  
You need to take your child to see a gastro doctor for acid reflux diseases and if the burping/wheezing persist then she might have a congestive heart failure (CHF).  Either way this is a serious problem so go get it check out.  And watch out for doctors who just want your money!   I have to changed 3 doctors to find out.  And all of mine doctors work at the hospitals!

STOP FEEDING YOUR CHILD WHITE BREAD (BLEACH FLOUR/GLUTEN)

My Mom has excessive burping.  Just finished colonoscopy and endo-scopy and ultrasound.  Waiting for results.
But - she was told to stop her daily Activia yogurt.   Has anyone else heard about Activia causing burping problems?

Tobyred
It's a bit of a relief to see that there are others who have this problem, but also frustrating to see that so many people have not found solutions, even though many doctor visits. I'm 38 and female. It started for me at the end of last year. At first it was just the heaviness (felt like I had rocks in my stomach) and the slightly odd breathing (as if you have a cold and there's a restriction). After a while, the constant burping and gas came into play. At first I thought it was because I was eating a lot better (cut out processed and canned foods and started eating more fresh and frozen veggies; I also started monitoring sodium). My doc said that those things should have made it better, not worse. With just talking to me, he said I must have GERD and prescribed Prilosec.Those actually helped me. It took it away completely, but I recently read an article about Prilosec that made me stop taking them. It also suggested that Prilosec was not intended for GERD in the first place, if that's truly the problem. Mine went away for a few months, but I could slowly feel it coming back when I stopped with the Prilosec. Today I'm back to stomach feeling like rocks, the breathing as if I have a slight cold, lower back pain, the burping, and feeling like I have gas in my stomach.

The one thing I see most from reading two of the threads on this forum is that most of us seem to have desk jobs, with a few exceptions. Even for those that exercise a lot (I exercise less when it gets really warm outside), we sit a lot during the day. Maybe that really could have something to do with it.

I read that a natural alternative to Prilosec is ginger, so I'm willing to try that to see if it works. How frustrating though. Thanks to everyone for all of your posts. As I said, it's a relief and frustrating at the same time.
I, like everybody else here, have burping, belch issues but mine is slightly different.  I need desperately to burp at times.  This has been going on a while.  I have been on omeprazole for over a year...only because I was told anybody taking daily aspirin should be on it (didnt have acid reflux).  I would like to stop but understand it is very difficult to do.  Cant decide whether to try it right now.  I feel as if there is an obstruction between the bottom of my esophagus and stomach (I guess the LES).  Had an endoscopy a couple of weeks ago and all is fine BUT things are much worse.  Even eating small amounts leaves me with a feeling of something there.  Belching and burping help.  Carbonated beverages help me a lot as they bring on the burping.  I do not burp/belch much normally.  Can an endoscopy show if one has hiatal hernia or does one need an upper GI or barium swallow?  I have not been back to the gastrologist because he was somewhat condesending when my endoscopy was just fine...and now to go back and tell him things are worse.  Can endoscopy (btw I also had dilation) make things worse?  I, too, am worse lying down with anything in my stomach.  I am best when I am up and about but cant be all the time as have pretty bad arthritis.  I think part of it is positional...maybe a kink?  Driving bothers me, tight clothes, belts, etc.  I go around with my pants unbuttoned a lot of the time.  Think I will try the ginger as cant hurt.  Also wonder if maybe my pH is too low.  I know as one gets older the pH frequently goes down.  I'm joining the club!
My burping started 2 years ago and I couldn't understand why.  I tried hard to think what I did different then that would cause the burping and I think it was because of milk. At the time I started a new job requiring me to sit infront of a computer all day.  To get myself off the chair I would go and buy coffee at least once a day.  When my coffee drinking habit become more regular that's when my burping started.  I would burp until I gag and throw up, and it's been like this ever since.

Funny enough, I don't burp during 2 holiday trips in China and I think it was because I didn't drink coffee (not a strong coffee drinking culture over there).  My burping continues during my trips to NZ and Malaysia, and I noticed I did drink coffee during these trips.  But all this are just my suspicion... I have yet sought medical advice for confirmation.

I should really cut out my coffee (and therefore milk intake) for a period to see if the burping stops.....
I started excessive burping almost 7 years ago.  It happens throughout the day and I too feel the pressure in the upper stomach.  And about six months ago my intestines started growling.  Now if I eat breakfast, dairy or not, they will growl all morning.  I have a computer job so sit all day long and really think this issue is somehow related or exaggerated due to having a sedentary job in a sitting position.  I find that during the weekend when I am active I don't have the growling.  I still have the burping but is lessened.  What I have found that helps is doing crunches or situps.  I have not changed my diet significantly but the situps do seem to help the pressure buildup in the rib triangle area and reduce the burping.
It has been a good year that i have had these sypmtoms and episodes:

1. burping...lots
2. chest pain in and around my heart...so bad that i thought it was a heart attack and went to the ER.  Had stress tests and several EKGs...all normal - thank god.
3. Feel dull, numbing muscle pain on my upper back (behind my heart) and around my heart area.
4. random squeezing heart pain...lasts seconds but scary as hell and hurts.
5. random left arm tingling/numbing.

any advice? suggestions?

My doc has scheduled me to do an MRI (brain, cervics and thorasic next week).  I will keep you all updated.

I developed excessvie burping about 8 months ago. I am a 23 year old Male. I have undergone many tests including X ray and Endoscopy. At first after the Xray I was told I have GERD. After the endoscopy I was told everything looks normal. This lead me to conduct my own research on why this extremely excessive burping is occuring everyday all day. I found on many medical sites from doctors that a direct cause of bloating and burping is BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH in the SMALL INTESTINE. I now strongly believe that this is my problem and many of yours. I am currently waiting to see my Gastro specialst again so we can conduct every test known to determine what kind of bacteria overgrowth it is and treat it with the appropriate anti-biotics. I STRONGLY encourage all of you with this excessive burping problem to inform your doctor that you believe it is due to BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH. You can find alot about Bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine on Google. Many doctors are unaware of this condition and it is easily treatable with antibiotics. Good luck to all of you I know what a horrible burden on life this burping can be.
I'm a 59 year old male. I always had a few food allergies, lots of colds, a sensitive stomach, etc. as I was growing up. In my early 30's I began to have serious digestive issues: acid reflux, abdominal cramps, bloating, occasional bouts of intense stomach pain. In my search for a medical answer, I went down many, many dead ends, including helicobacter pylori, candida, food allergies, etc., etc.
In my early 50's I began to developed large patches of psoriasis that spread over parts of my legs and abdomen. Psoriatic arthritis started to affect the left side of my body. The constant belching that everyone is mentioning here became a daily experience. Eventually, even depression raised it's ugly head.
Finally, an observant nutritionist suggested that I might have an issue with gluten. I was desperate and willing to try anything, so I eliminated most wheat, barley, rye and oats from my diet. Amazingly, I started to recover a little. For awhile, I thought that might be the end of it. At least the belching cleared up within a few weeks of getting off most gluten.
Since the psoriasis was still not clearing, about 4 months ago, I went to another nutritionist who ordered lots of blood tests, including ones for Celiac disease. Amazingly, the lab results showed I have the genetic markers for Celiac, as well as highly elevated levels of the gluten (IgA and IgG antigliadin) antibodies.
I thought I had been pretty careful to eliminate gluten, but it seems that the little bit of gluten I was getting in the toaster, the communion wafer, etc. was still causing issues.
For two months now, I have been as gluten free as I can possibly be. The wonderful news is that my gut is finally being my friend instead of my enemy, my psoriasis is clearing up, my energy is back, I feel like I've regained my life.
Celiac is considered a 'silent epidemic' in the US. If affects a little less than 1% of the population. But only about 5-10% of those who have it are diagnosed.
I know that being gluten free seems like a big hassle, but if you have Celiac, none of the other things you try will actually get you on the road to recovery. The medical community highly recommends that you get tested for Celiac before you go gluten free, because it can be difficult to diagnose when you are off gluten. But very few doctors in the US are aware of Celiac and how it masquerades as a lot of other conditions. So if you have one of these seemingly unsolvable cases, please consider Celiac. There's a ton of info about it on the Internet. Of course some of the info is awful and full of misinformation, but sites like gluten.net and celiaccentral.org have all the necessary info to help you get diagnosed.
I developing excessive burping about 5 years ago after my throat swelled up 2x.  I went to two different doctors and neither could figure out why my throat swelled up but they did notice redness and prescribed antibiotics.  Ever since then I've had an issue w/ burping - loud, constant burps.  That was followed by chest and side (near ribs) pain.  The pain was so bad that taking deep breaths was not an option.  I've had chest x-rays and since seen at least 3 other doctors about the problem and all have said that either nothing is wrong or it's just gas.  However, none have helped me w/ preventative treatments.  Now my stomach gets upset often.  I'm lactose intolerant so I avoid products containing dairy and lactose and read labels like a hawk!  I'm tired of seeing doctors who either don't care or lack the required knowledge to treat symptoms.  My appetite has since change.  I used to eat...A LOT...and since I worked out constantly, I was always hungry.  Now, I don't have much of an appetite.  It's comforting to see that other people are taking active steps to trying to figure out their symptoms!
I have been having exessive burping, especially when I first get up in the morning. I also have a pain next to my sternum on my right side. I feel it more when I am lying down. This is scaring me. My mother died from pancreatic cancer.She burped excessively and had very much swelling. I'm wondering if it could be a hernia.
Your symptoms are very similar to mine.  Are you better today?  If yes, how did you accomplish that?
Hi hopeful820,

Try to google Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome (also called sibo) and see if this rings a bell. If it does (like it did for me) go to a gastroenterologist and ask for antibiotics. I hope this helps!

Eveline
I had the same burping problem, but no health insurance, so no doctors or prescriptions available to me. I couldn't eat or drink anything without fear of an attack, I started getting sick from not eating and drinking enough. I tried a few over the counter things, but nothing worked. During my searches, I found references to Apple Cider Vinegar curing acid reflux. I was skeptical, but bought a bottle of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (I've used regular ACV in a pinch, but organic is better). I drank about 2 oz diluted in 8 oz of water every morning. I hated the taste and would usually feel nauseous and burp for about 5 minutes afterward, but after that I'm perfectly fine for the rest of the day. I can drink soda and alcohol and eat as much greasy food as I want. I know because I went on a little food binge after months of being afraid to eat. I stopped taking it after several months and have been fine for the past 2 months or so, but now it's back. I'll be at the local health food store in the morning to get some more ACV. I hate the taste, but it's better than being afraid to even drink water.
I started having digestive problems in 1997 after going through a very stressful time in my life. Since then I have been diagnosed with IBS, reflux and a hiatus hernia. I have taken Omeprazole, Lansoprazole and other PPI's all to no avail. I have extreme bloating to the point where I look like I'm pregnant and have bouts of constant burping that can last for hours at a time. I have extreme chest pains and have ended up in the emergency room on a couple of occasions thinking I was having a heart attack. The IBS gives me constant diarrhea, sometimes explosive diarrhea.

It doesn't seem to make any difference what I eat or drink or don't eat and drink. It appears to be completely random and has gotten a lot worse over the last few months or so, to the point that the attacks are more or less constant.

Stress definitely makes my symptoms worse, even a minute amount of stress causes my digestive system to go into overdrive.

I used to be a fit individual and have a flat stomach, but now any kind of exercise, especially bending or lifting and I start burping uncontrollably.

I have never known anyone else with these kinds of problems until I came here. At least I now know I'm not alone.

My symptoms have completely ruined my life to the point where I can't make plans to go out anywhere as I simply don't know how I'm going to be at any point in of the day or night.

I have noticed that making a concious effort to breath through my nose does help to control the burping somewhat.

On waking up in the mornings my bloat has all but disappeared, but once I have a drink, even if it's only water, within ten minutes or so, the bloating and burping return and another day of discomfort is upon me.

Perhaps I'm unconsciously swallowing air when I eat and drink and if that's the case, then I would love to know if there are any techniques to help avoid this.
I have been suffering from the symptoms described here, for the last three years. I went through all the same tests and treatments, which many of you had mentioned here, without any success.
After all this time, I came up with three things, which help me to keep the symptoms bearable. Here they are, from the most to least important:

1) Stop drinking coffee completely. Avoiding coffee had the most significant effect for me. If you want to try this, keep in mind, that effect will not come quickly. For me, it took about two months, until I felt the difference. During the coffee-less period, I tested my theory several times by drinking some coffee  (no matter what kind) and every time I have suffered badly from it. When I need the caffeine to wake up, I have an energy drink instead of coffee.

2) Do not drink anything with or close to a meal. I always wait at least half an hour after a meal before I drink anything.

3) Eat smaller meals.

4) Wine, whisky, vodka and any strong alcohol are bad. Beer is good!

Regards,
Albert.
continuous burping early in the morning and stops after 10 mins....is it something serious?
I have had IBD for almost 30 years and belching is only one of the problems. The information in this blog is useful but there are many different solutions that may even change for the individual over time. Educate yourself with articles and then use that fabulous brain connected to your body to figure out what you need. My solution will not be yous and it probably will take trial and error to figure out your solution. However todady I can go out to restaurants and eat at friends houses. I have regained the 55 pounds I lost at my worst and I no longer have diarrhea very day or pain every night.

If your problem is poor digestion it could be low HCL, pancreatic deficiency or a gall bladder problem and you need to figure out which one is your problem. There is plenty of advice in this blog on HCL deficiency and I would try their advice. I prefer to take HCL after a protein meal. Enzymes work in an alkaline environment and protein digestion takes place in an acid environment. Enzymes help me some but they are not the whole solution nor is HCL. Actually grape bitters work better for me than either HCL or enzyme supplements.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is one of the best and the most restrictive. It just depends where you are at with your health. I currently follow the Perfect Health Diet. In any case you probably will have to figure out what foods work for you. Following the advice of Michael Pollan of don't eat too much, eat real food (not processed) and mostly vegetables is a good start. I would add on, that I follow a low carbohydrate, low protein diet that includes healthy oils like butter, coconut oil, olive oil or macadamia nut oil. Also I include goat yogurt and fermented vegetables. I an not Celiac but I eat a very low gluten diet, low lactose and low fructose diet.

Digestion issues mess up your microflora. Probiotics help but are not the total solution for me. People that have the worst cases have fecal implants. Besides a messed up microflora ones immune system seems to get involved if you are bad enough and the transport of food, peristalsis also becomes messed up and can cause strictures or blockage. Undigested food that moves too fast or too slow through ones GI tract just makes every thing worse. The advice to find a holistic or functional doctor is good advice because this can be a complex problem without easy answers. But there are answers and happy to say I found mine. But not without paying a price, I have to manage what I have every day to continue to feel good.