can a large hiatal hernia mimic heart problems?
I have a very large hiatal hernia that does not cause any problems such as Gerd, reflux, etc. but I did experience a loss of four units of blood over a period of nine months in 2007and after a blood transfusion did not lose blood again until recently when hemo went from 14.5 down to 9.9 in three months.   A colonoscopy and endoscopy  in 2007 did not reveal any reason for the blood loss.  My gastroenterologist did mention that my hernia might be the source of my bleeding but neither he nor my primary physician suggested any further treatment.  My main concern are other symptoms that I continue to experience in addition to the bleeding.  I have  shortness of breath, and have severe chest pain that extends up into my neck whenever I exert myself , but get immediate relief upon resting for ten minutes.  I have had two heart caths in four years and numerous electrocardiograms and echo stress tests and have had my heart valves checked and the doctors say there is nothing wrong with my heart.  My question is whether or not all of these heart symptoms could actually be caused by the extremely large hiatal hernia?  I also experience a very rapid pulse rate upon very little exertion.  Just cleaning off kitchen island or eating can sometimes raise pulse rate to 109.  Could this also be caused by hernia?  Thanks for any comments.
The chest pain could actually be the result of esophageal spasms, if you have any damage to the upper part of the stomach or the esophagus. Esophageal spasms are often likened to 'heart attack pain' in those that experience them.
What about short pain spasms in the left arm, sort of an ache. I also have these in my right arm. I have a large hiatel hernia with GERD and just did 35 minutes on my treadmill without much problem, no pain. I am 62, and have been feeling short of breath sometimes. I am stressed also with a whole of things going on in my life. But my hernia is hurting at times to the point the food has trouble going down.