Gastroenterology Community
can a polyp just disappear?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

can a polyp just disappear?

In late May of this year I had an EGD after sudden onset of heartburn. It showed erosive gastritus due to medications. It also showed two polyps in my proximal esophagus. The Gastr Dr. showed me pics of them. They actually looked rather small  like two smooth protruding boils. He told me that he did not want to do anything with them because they were out of his territory. He said they would have to be removed by an ENT specialist and biopsied after the removal. I waited 5 weeks to see the ENT Dr. at which time he said that he saw nothing in a routine up the nose and down the throat scope in his office. Also, the Gastro Dr. said nothing in his report to the ENT Dr. about the polyps and sent no pics to him ahead of time. I looked like an idiot who was imagining all of this. Meanwhile I have been having a feeling like someone is jabbing me in the throat with their finger. The ENT Dr. said this could be from my blood pressure meds and I should have them changed, which my family Dr. did already. The ENT Dr. also said that the Gastro Dr. may not have been sure what he was looking at. Should I get a scond opinion from another Gastro Dr.? My primary Dr. is willing to set me up with one, especially since then I have taken my pics that were given to me to him to look at.
He told me that polyps will not just up and disappear in the matter of a couple months. BTW, I still am having heartburn even with taking nexium 2X a day and my blood pressure is always elevated now. They have doubled my new BP meds plus added another BP med and it still stays at around 150/92.
On the end...it's important what you have now, and not what was before. Polyp, if it is pseudopolyp, which is caused by inflammation, may disappear at any time. I'm not sure what can or cannot happen with polyps which are benign tumors though.

If you have pictures of polyps, it may help in 2nd opinion.