can't get rid of pinworms
I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
Try a week long water fast. If you don't feed them they will die.  it will be worth it.
8 years? Wow... Is it always intense? I mean have you felt intense itching every single night for the past 8 years?

Which medications have you used? Some of them are not as effective as the others. Make sure you use one of these drugs:

From wikipedia: "Antihelmintic drugs albendazole (Albenza), mebendazole (Vermox, OVEX), Piperazine and pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X, Reese's Pinworm Medication) are commonly used to treat pinworms; these medicines kill the pinworms 95% of the time, but do not kill the eggs. The person being treated should receive a second course after two weeks."

However sometimes even medication doesn't help, so you should go for the multiple method approach.

1- Take your medication everyday (my doctor told me it was safe to do it for 20 days or so for persisting infections, although you'd better consult a doctor anyway).

2- Eating 20-30 pumpkin seeds everyday (unprocessed, uncooked, with the peel) works wonders. You can also mix 60 gm of grind pumpkin seeds (with the peel) with honey and water. Eat the mixture in 3 portions every 2 hours. It is said to be the best solution for pinworms.

3 - Make sure to include garlic and lots of spices (especially curry) in every single meal you cook, also swallowing one garlic a day (as a whole, like a pill) helps too. You can also just eat 2-3 garlics a day. Another solution is adding honey to mashed garlic cloves and eating it 2-3 times a day for a week. In short: Eat garlic!

3- Refrain from eating meat and sugar for a while, because they feed the worms. Eat veggies and fruits and foods that are rich in fiber. Some ppl do the pineapple cure in which you eat&drink nothing but pineapple and pineapple juice for 3 days, worms can't take that much acid and die. You can also eat one tablespoon of coconut everyday in the breakfast. Also a small cup of grated carrot taken every morning is said to be offensive to all kinds of parasites.

There are a million ways to get rid of the adult worms inside you, but avoiding reinfection is the hard part. Make sure to

1- clean/vacuum the floors of your house daily (especially the bathroom and the laundry room, if possible buy a pair of slippers only to be used in these rooms and leave them there),

2- change bed sheets and underclothes daily, and be very gentle while doing so, do not shake the dirty laundry cuz then the eggs get airborne and that's bad, also do not forget washing them in boiling soapy water and ironing them with a red hot iron! Fry those eggs that are stuck to your undies!

3- wash your hands as much as possible, eggs on your hands are not persistent but make sure to use an antibacterial soap,

4- use disinfectent for cleaning the bathroom, but do not inhale while doing so, those products are extremely dangerous,

5- bathe twice a day (especially in the morning) or at least swipe your bottom with vinegar in the mornings (or a mixture of mashed garlic and vaseline at night so that the females can't go out and lay eggs),

6-  keep fingernails as short as possible,

7- most importantly do not touch or scratch your bottom,

8 - you can try wearing gloves and masks while using the bathroom or cleaning the house (my mum's a nurse, so I got a couple boxes of those surgery gloves and masks), this way you won't inhale the airborne eggs and your hands will definitely be clean after using the bathroom.

9- Eight years is a looong time! Your whole family must have been infected. So every member in your household should adhere to these rules, and they should be treated with medication as well, because if you don't, something called ping-pong infection happens and the family members keep infecting each other.

10- In order to get rid of the stray eggs in your house, always keep your shades open in the mornings, eggs are sensitive to sunlight and most of them will die this way, for persisting eggs, you can try leaving the house for a day, and heating it up to 95 degrees for 24 hours. That should kill all the eggs.

11- Oh and if you have pets in your house, wash them well and do not let them enter the bathroom or the bedrooms for a while. Although pinworms can only live in humans, animals like to play around on the floor, so they might pick up eggs on their fur, and you can imagine the various ways you might inhale those eggs. I had to shun my beautiful cats for a long time :(

If you do all these things and still get reinfected, there might be a problem. So the last step is the colon cleanse. There are lots of colon cleanse products out there, like MetaCleanse or Ultimate Cleanse, they clean your bowels thoroghly and make sure those little bastards don't have a hiding place in your intestines. They are made from natural ingredients and safe to use.

Good luck!
I have the EXACT problem, doctors think it is easy to get rid of but it is very hard. I have fasted as well as took a vitamin and garlic in a supplement pill form and have taken Mebendazole and nothing helps. I have been to the doctor multiple times and the first 2 they only gave me a days worth and the last time they gave me a months worth and it STILL did not help.

Then I went to my last dr who wants to refer me to a colon Dr and get a colonoscopy so they can look inside me which I heard is painful.

He said that the laxatives, etc are strong, they are like colon cleansers and it totally removed everything from your colon.... I am not sure if those STRONG colon cleaners they give work or not but it totally cleans your colon (I guess pin worms can still be stuck to the colon wall but I am not sure)

I just wish they would go up in there and remove and clean my colon.

I mean at first the pin worms were soooo bad... I was itchy all the time!

NOW I am not at all itchy at night... But I still see them in my stools, not everyday but every few days... I have heard they are a pain to get rid of.

I also have been going through this painful cycle for the past 15 years on and off!!!! I have been taking vermox and zentel every 3 months or so for the past 15 years, but i have recently felt them again right after having taken zentel, and to make sure i went to the lab and did the tape test which turned out to be positive..
I have started taking blackwalnut capsules and garlic capsules every day with coloncleanser but my anus has been itching much more ever since and i don't get it!! I will go get tested again in 2 days, and if the result turns out positive, i really don't know what other options I have..since the drs seem to find my problem basic and don't know of treatments other than the vermox and zentel.
And for the record, i have had a colonoscopy last october, and the dr didn't see anythg (i didnt even know they could see them anyway).
Any person with a similar prob who has found a solution would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I got the same problem. Doctors look at me like I'm imagining it when I tell them the medication hasn't worked. I've been taking mebendazole sometimes daily for years; I buy it bulk at chemist warehouse; it only knocks their numbers back a little. I think they get resistant to medication. I've done the daily washing of sheets, clothes, towels, washing hands, vacuuming every day, wet cloth dusting all over the house, cleaning lightswitches and door knobs, vasaline on my behind, eating carrots till my skin went orange, etc, etc, etc. I even tried starving them, and nearly starved myself till I could barely stand, but they remained, determined to last in this body longer than I. The nights are horrible; they get over my buttocks, up my back, down my legs, in my genital region, it is like living a horror movie. Its so depressing and its made me reclusive like a hermit. Just me and these horrible creatures that have infested my body. When I die I intend to have this body cremated and I will take much pleasure in watching the bastards burn. I believe there is something missing in our medical understanding of this creature. They are so contagious yet some people don't get them and some people can't get rid of them -there has to be a reason for this. Personally I suspect people without them have an as yet unknown digestive enzyme that destroys them, and people who can't get rid of them are lacking this enzyme.  
The bastards just won't die. I have cried and cried, my husband thinks I am dirty.  They are disgusting.  I have used Pin-X 4 times now and I get real sick everytime, I dread it.  I have no clue where I could have picked them up at.  When it first started I was  rnauseous almost everyday for about a month.  I thought I might have been pregnant, so I took pregnancy test after pregnancy test.  My doctor couldn't even figure out what it was!  Soon after, I discovered a worm.  I absolutely panicked.  It took me two weeks to tell my husband, and I got the reaction I thought I was going to get: repulsion.  I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, and about 30 minutes to an hour later, they are on my underwear without even itching or feeling them.  I just don't understand, and apparently from reading what you guys have to say, doctors are so stupid!!!  I really feel for you guys, as I too can relate.  I have found myself feeling angrier and more hopeless because they always return over and over and they too return angrier.  I read on WebMD that you can either treat them with medication or just wait, I guess they "Only live inside you for 16 weeks".  Waiting my ***!  They just mutliply like rabbits!  Please leave me feedback. Thx.

--Hopeless
Try a low-fat diet.  I may try that.
I've had them for 4 years and its a real nightmare.The only way to get rid of them is to leave you're house naked,take a shower at you're old home,wash youre hair,leave EVERYTHING behind,money pets,clothes,food,important papers too.quite you're job and move into you're new apartment naked,take a shower there then bleach the tub out.make sure to take the medcine.then wait until you get kciked out for not paying the rent.Lets hope that got rid of them!!!!!

I am in so much pain and give up.I just gotta get used to it I should be by now.
I feel for you. I have had roundworms for the past 3 years and the doctors are no help!! I too feel dirty and it's hard for me to be close to my husband. I have taken Mebendazole, Albenza and Pin-X many, many times with no luck!! I taken black walnut oil and clove oil which helped some but didn't cure me. I would love it if someone could come up with a solution that would work for all of us!  I wish you lots of luck and hope there is someone out there with some real help for us. I can't believe there's not a doctor out there who can help. I am about ready to do anything I can.
Pin  worms can live 2-6 weeks inside the intestinal tracts and come out of the rectum to lay eggs at night that’s why the itching is worse at night. The eggs live for 2 to 3 weeks on any surface and are airborne. By scratching, the microscopic eggs get under your nails and can be transferred anywhere , including your ears and nose and the food you eat. They recommend that you wash the sheets every 3-4 days and to keep hands very clean to prevent reinfestation. You can either take an OTC pin worm remedy but please know they do not kill the eggs. You nan also use a black walnut husk tincture(15-20 drops a day) , wormwood and garlic to kill the adults. Cloves will kill the eggs, I used the clove oil around my rectum and vagina, that stopped the itching as well as killed the eggs. If you have garlic pills, you can break them and use as well. THE CLOVE OIL IS ESSENTIAL TO KILL THE EGGS. I have been using a Q tips and cotton balls to periodically apply clove oil under and around my nails to kill the eggs. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD NOT USE THESE REMEDIES WITHOUT CONSULTING A DOCTOR. Pregnant women should be able to use the clove oil externally to kill the eggs, but consult your doctor first. Clove oil is also good for toothaches and itchiness. I bought a spray called the ERADICATOR which contains pyrethum to kill the eggs on surfaces and the air. Pin worm infestations can be a vicious cycle as they are highly contagious. All family members should be treated. I will treat this for the next 2 months just to be certain. IF NOTHING ELSE USE THE CLOVE OIL TO STOP THE ITCH. What do you have to lose?
Everything can be bought on Amazon. Don't forget to spray your keyboard with ERADICATOR..
*** Just to let you know that the full strength clove oil does burn!.** I let it sit for about 10 seconds and wiped it off. Some remained because I am currently itch free.I'd rather have a few seconds of burning than a night of itching.The second time I used it on my rectum, it burned but I let it stay and then the burning stopped.You can dilute it with water but I think oil is better. Mix it to the strength you can take. Remember to keep using the clove oil under your nails and around the nail bed to kill the eggs. Spray the bed sheet with the Eradicator( or product containing pyrethrum) to kill the eggs before removing them from the bed. Shaking the sheet will only launch the egg into the air. I recommend spraying the entire house, pay attention especially things like doorknobs, keyboards and things you usually touch. I would also use some of the oil(mixed or not) inside the ears and around the nostrils. The eggs can be transported anywhere...we all probably have scratched in our sleep and touched parts of our faces.
I wanted to make sure that people are aware that having a vaginal itch with no discharge in addition to the anal itch is quite common with females that are infected by pinworms. I tried diflucan and other vaginal remedies that never worked.I had felt a creepy crawly sensation below  with intense night time itching . I kept trying to check but saw nothing. It was only when I understood that pinworms are also known as thread worms because they look like little bits of white or translucent thread that I knew I was infested. Take a bath before bed, wait for the itching and take a pice of tape and press it against your anus. You'll see them moving on it . Prior to that , I thought they were fibers from my panties or toilet paper fibers. I took Pin-X and got some relieve but it came back. During this time I finally saw a couple of them move. YUCKKK!!!! Anywho , get a prescription or the OTC remedy.  I am also taking the 20 drops of Black walnut tincture, the wormwood and eating garlic(or garlic pills). I am covering all my bases. NO PRISONERS!!!! Don't forget to use the Eradicator or any other spray containing the pyrethrum that's safe for home use in conjunction with coating under your nails and fingertips with clove oil. I carry it with me everywhere.  GNC , the Vitamin Shoppe and health foods  sell the clove oil and perhaps  the other things as well.. I ordered all mine online but couldn't wait a  day longer so I bought the clove oil at GNC .Give me some feedback and let me know if you guys had any luck.
Did you get rid of your pinworm infestation?
Did any of you notice small black fibre-like things on your pants too? This sounds similar to what a friend of mine has, and she is really tortured by it too! Or small cotton wool-like nests?
Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade, of course)!
If you have pinworms, THIS IS A MUST! Look it up online.
Forget the OTC drugs, even the Vermoxx is questionable.
I believe these parasites have overtime become immune
to these drugs. The great thing about the DE is you can take it daily
until the entire life cycle of the eggs to adult has run it's course. You can
even continue to take this as it a great source of minerals!
Took vermox twice. outside the states the course includes the tablet twice daily for three days. Still feel the creepy crawlers. Funny there's no itch, just a 'bite' late afternoon.  i did however get a bad wave of perianal and vaginal itching at first and that's how i realised i had the infection. Stupid me. i was renting with a family and knew the little daughter had the infection and even though i'm a doctor i didn't bother to take preventive measures.
All i can say is that resistance is a scientific fact. my mother is african and claims that pumkin seeds are an ancient age old remedy that was always used by our ancestors. lets face it, these worms always existed but vermox didnt. and for the fact, the human race isn't all infected therefore the treatments of the past did work. She also mentioned garlic which is in its chemical composition an antiseptic. cloves as well. And honey has a glorious history of working wonders. Please do not use therapies that cause local irritation. the skin is already iritated and has had enough. Try to use milder forms but be persistent about it. it's a shame i couldn't find any scientific research to suggest the best therapy. Nobody will fund garlic anti-pinworm research.. yet!
good luck to all of us and remember the palcebo effect works 30% of the whole therapy effct, so keep it positive!
Ugh! Pinworms! Again! I am only thirteen years old and i have had pinworms on and off for about two years now. When i first got them it was during the summer when i was only 11. I itched and itched all night, too embarrased to tell my mom. I hate when i cant get a good night sleep. Now i noticed when i put pressure on my bottom they seem to quite moving. I cant even be active anymore without the itching. My mom bought me Conbactrin or something like that and it was like 20 dollars. But that was expensive to her and she didnt even think i had them even though i could pull them out of my bottom. Gross! I got them again 2 months later. And i have just keep getting them every two months since then, My mom is getting tired of buying medication for me. Back when i was eleven they would just dissapear. But now i dont know what to do anymore. They keep comming back! GRRRRRR! I am gonna try the suggestions from BlahBlah88. Thanks everyone. It means alot. I know what your going through. They make me wanna swear so bad!!!! UGGHHH!!!!!! Hopefully it works :)
Ok...after doing almost ALL of these interventions, I did the unthinkable.  I did a garlic douche and then *gasp* a garlic enema using tap water & garlic powder.  I slept the whole night after!  I also drank a small glass of water with garlic powder in it each morning & each afternoon.  It doesn't really have any taste, just the smell, which I GLADLY tolerated to get rid of these little bast***s.   I turned on ALL the lights in the house & washed the sheets every few days.  I even ironed the sheets while they were on the bed as soon as I got home from work.  I was desperate (quite obviously), but these things seemed to work.  Good luck.  All I can think is that God had a bizarre sense of humor when creating them, but all I want is for them to DIE!!!!!!
Pinworms are not easy to get rid of.  Some people need a lot more medication for a longer time.  You can order Vermox online.  Do a search online using the key words:   1564827 ICU    .  Look at the first link that comes up.  I had the same problem for months and this worked for me.  Remember that the medications must be chewed and taken with a fatty meal to be absorbed properly.
I've been dealing with this for over 3yrs.   I found them on myself the first three times and then on my daughter the last 3 times and once on my son.  It  happens every 3-4 months.  They are impossible to get rid of.  I have 3 children which go back and forth from my house to their dads.  I'm on them all the time about washing there hands.  They wash when they get up, before they eat anything and when they come in from being outside.  I have thoroughly cleaned my house everytime I find them.  I do a 8 to 10 hour cleaning.  I try to clean everything and anything they come into contact with.  But how do you clean books and papers and how about anything they may touch at school.  I can't clean their desks.  It's impossible.  I've even washed the walls, lamps, every light switch and door knob.  My vehicles, my dog and anything the dog may have touched...but they just keep coming back.  Is there anything that kills the eggs.  I need help.  I can't keep cleaning like this.  My laundry machines are going continuously.  My water bill is nuts.  My nine year old has been showering every morning for 5 months.  This is crazy.  I throw my hands up and say they won.  They are going to be part of my family.  I may even name them.  I there is anything out there to get rid of them please let me know.  I do believe that it is going to be impossible with kids.  They come into contact with so many other children I think they just keep re infecting each other.  Thanks
I truly empathize with you all. Pinworms are gross and annoying. The worst part is that we seem to suffer alone and the Doctors have no idea how to help us. I have been through everything - the vermox, herbal remedies, colon cleanses etc. Nothing lasts forever, if you are one of the unlucky ones who just seems to pick up the eggs out of nowhere - it makes me wanna scream, i presume the same is for you guys.......!? What has helped for me is using garlic capsules as suppositories every night - use a little olive oil to help it in. Yes it burns like hell but its worth it. I also take the capsules orally. In order to avoid infection, it it vital to take probiotics and digestive enzymes- one that is high in protease, an enzyme which helps digest proteins. I reccomend Digest Gold by Enzymedica. There is no magical answer, as of yet I am still  to find the guaranteed supplements to avoid getting infected. The cleaning can make you paranoid. Face facts the eggs are there and there is no avoiding them. The only thing we can do is help our bodies get rid of the eggs without them hatching inside us. MSM powder is also helpfull since it stops anything from sticking to the colon walls.
Good luck waging war, I hope this helps.