can't get rid of pinworms
I can't get rid of pinworms. Have had them for 8 years now.  I have taken many prescriptions and over the counter meds and home remedies.  Now my rectum hurts.  Need advice on getting rid of these horrible things.  I'm fed up!!
Try a week long water fast. If you don't feed them they will die.  it will be worth it.
8 years? Wow... Is it always intense? I mean have you felt intense itching every single night for the past 8 years?

Which medications have you used? Some of them are not as effective as the others. Make sure you use one of these drugs:

From wikipedia: "Antihelmintic drugs albendazole (Albenza), mebendazole (Vermox, OVEX), Piperazine and pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X, Reese's Pinworm Medication) are commonly used to treat pinworms; these medicines kill the pinworms 95% of the time, but do not kill the eggs. The person being treated should receive a second course after two weeks."

However sometimes even medication doesn't help, so you should go for the multiple method approach.

1- Take your medication everyday (my doctor told me it was safe to do it for 20 days or so for persisting infections, although you'd better consult a doctor anyway).

2- Eating 20-30 pumpkin seeds everyday (unprocessed, uncooked, with the peel) works wonders. You can also mix 60 gm of grind pumpkin seeds (with the peel) with honey and water. Eat the mixture in 3 portions every 2 hours. It is said to be the best solution for pinworms.

3 - Make sure to include garlic and lots of spices (especially curry) in every single meal you cook, also swallowing one garlic a day (as a whole, like a pill) helps too. You can also just eat 2-3 garlics a day. Another solution is adding honey to mashed garlic cloves and eating it 2-3 times a day for a week. In short: Eat garlic!

3- Refrain from eating meat and sugar for a while, because they feed the worms. Eat veggies and fruits and foods that are rich in fiber. Some ppl do the pineapple cure in which you eat&drink nothing but pineapple and pineapple juice for 3 days, worms can't take that much acid and die. You can also eat one tablespoon of coconut everyday in the breakfast. Also a small cup of grated carrot taken every morning is said to be offensive to all kinds of parasites.

There are a million ways to get rid of the adult worms inside you, but avoiding reinfection is the hard part. Make sure to

1- clean/vacuum the floors of your house daily (especially the bathroom and the laundry room, if possible buy a pair of slippers only to be used in these rooms and leave them there),

2- change bed sheets and underclothes daily, and be very gentle while doing so, do not shake the dirty laundry cuz then the eggs get airborne and that's bad, also do not forget washing them in boiling soapy water and ironing them with a red hot iron! Fry those eggs that are stuck to your undies!

3- wash your hands as much as possible, eggs on your hands are not persistent but make sure to use an antibacterial soap,

4- use disinfectent for cleaning the bathroom, but do not inhale while doing so, those products are extremely dangerous,

5- bathe twice a day (especially in the morning) or at least swipe your bottom with vinegar in the mornings (or a mixture of mashed garlic and vaseline at night so that the females can't go out and lay eggs),

6-  keep fingernails as short as possible,

7- most importantly do not touch or scratch your bottom,

8 - you can try wearing gloves and masks while using the bathroom or cleaning the house (my mum's a nurse, so I got a couple boxes of those surgery gloves and masks), this way you won't inhale the airborne eggs and your hands will definitely be clean after using the bathroom.

9- Eight years is a looong time! Your whole family must have been infected. So every member in your household should adhere to these rules, and they should be treated with medication as well, because if you don't, something called ping-pong infection happens and the family members keep infecting each other.

10- In order to get rid of the stray eggs in your house, always keep your shades open in the mornings, eggs are sensitive to sunlight and most of them will die this way, for persisting eggs, you can try leaving the house for a day, and heating it up to 95 degrees for 24 hours. That should kill all the eggs.

11- Oh and if you have pets in your house, wash them well and do not let them enter the bathroom or the bedrooms for a while. Although pinworms can only live in humans, animals like to play around on the floor, so they might pick up eggs on their fur, and you can imagine the various ways you might inhale those eggs. I had to shun my beautiful cats for a long time :(

If you do all these things and still get reinfected, there might be a problem. So the last step is the colon cleanse. There are lots of colon cleanse products out there, like MetaCleanse or Ultimate Cleanse, they clean your bowels thoroghly and make sure those little bastards don't have a hiding place in your intestines. They are made from natural ingredients and safe to use.

Good luck!
I have the EXACT problem, doctors think it is easy to get rid of but it is very hard. I have fasted as well as took a vitamin and garlic in a supplement pill form and have taken Mebendazole and nothing helps. I have been to the doctor multiple times and the first 2 they only gave me a days worth and the last time they gave me a months worth and it STILL did not help.

Then I went to my last dr who wants to refer me to a colon Dr and get a colonoscopy so they can look inside me which I heard is painful.

He said that the laxatives, etc are strong, they are like colon cleansers and it totally removed everything from your colon.... I am not sure if those STRONG colon cleaners they give work or not but it totally cleans your colon (I guess pin worms can still be stuck to the colon wall but I am not sure)

I just wish they would go up in there and remove and clean my colon.

I mean at first the pin worms were soooo bad... I was itchy all the time!

NOW I am not at all itchy at night... But I still see them in my stools, not everyday but every few days... I have heard they are a pain to get rid of.

I also have been going through this painful cycle for the past 15 years on and off!!!! I have been taking vermox and zentel every 3 months or so for the past 15 years, but i have recently felt them again right after having taken zentel, and to make sure i went to the lab and did the tape test which turned out to be positive..
I have started taking blackwalnut capsules and garlic capsules every day with coloncleanser but my anus has been itching much more ever since and i don't get it!! I will go get tested again in 2 days, and if the result turns out positive, i really don't know what other options I have..since the drs seem to find my problem basic and don't know of treatments other than the vermox and zentel.
And for the record, i have had a colonoscopy last october, and the dr didn't see anythg (i didnt even know they could see them anyway).
Any person with a similar prob who has found a solution would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I got the same problem. Doctors look at me like I'm imagining it when I tell them the medication hasn't worked. I've been taking mebendazole sometimes daily for years; I buy it bulk at chemist warehouse; it only knocks their numbers back a little. I think they get resistant to medication. I've done the daily washing of sheets, clothes, towels, washing hands, vacuuming every day, wet cloth dusting all over the house, cleaning lightswitches and door knobs, vasaline on my behind, eating carrots till my skin went orange, etc, etc, etc. I even tried starving them, and nearly starved myself till I could barely stand, but they remained, determined to last in this body longer than I. The nights are horrible; they get over my buttocks, up my back, down my legs, in my genital region, it is like living a horror movie. Its so depressing and its made me reclusive like a hermit. Just me and these horrible creatures that have infested my body. When I die I intend to have this body cremated and I will take much pleasure in watching the bastards burn. I believe there is something missing in our medical understanding of this creature. They are so contagious yet some people don't get them and some people can't get rid of them -there has to be a reason for this. Personally I suspect people without them have an as yet unknown digestive enzyme that destroys them, and people who can't get rid of them are lacking this enzyme.  
The bastards just won't die. I have cried and cried, my husband thinks I am dirty.  They are disgusting.  I have used Pin-X 4 times now and I get real sick everytime, I dread it.  I have no clue where I could have picked them up at.  When it first started I was  rnauseous almost everyday for about a month.  I thought I might have been pregnant, so I took pregnancy test after pregnancy test.  My doctor couldn't even figure out what it was!  Soon after, I discovered a worm.  I absolutely panicked.  It took me two weeks to tell my husband, and I got the reaction I thought I was going to get: repulsion.  I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, and about 30 minutes to an hour later, they are on my underwear without even itching or feeling them.  I just don't understand, and apparently from reading what you guys have to say, doctors are so stupid!!!  I really feel for you guys, as I too can relate.  I have found myself feeling angrier and more hopeless because they always return over and over and they too return angrier.  I read on WebMD that you can either treat them with medication or just wait, I guess they "Only live inside you for 16 weeks".  Waiting my ***!  They just mutliply like rabbits!  Please leave me feedback. Thx.

--Hopeless
Try a low-fat diet.  I may try that.
I've had them for 4 years and its a real nightmare.The only way to get rid of them is to leave you're house naked,take a shower at you're old home,wash youre hair,leave EVERYTHING behind,money pets,clothes,food,important papers too.quite you're job and move into you're new apartment naked,take a shower there then bleach the tub out.make sure to take the medcine.then wait until you get kciked out for not paying the rent.Lets hope that got rid of them!!!!!

I am in so much pain and give up.I just gotta get used to it I should be by now.
I feel for you. I have had roundworms for the past 3 years and the doctors are no help!! I too feel dirty and it's hard for me to be close to my husband. I have taken Mebendazole, Albenza and Pin-X many, many times with no luck!! I taken black walnut oil and clove oil which helped some but didn't cure me. I would love it if someone could come up with a solution that would work for all of us!  I wish you lots of luck and hope there is someone out there with some real help for us. I can't believe there's not a doctor out there who can help. I am about ready to do anything I can.
Pin  worms can live 2-6 weeks inside the intestinal tracts and come out of the rectum to lay eggs at night that’s why the itching is worse at night. The eggs live for 2 to 3 weeks on any surface and are airborne. By scratching, the microscopic eggs get under your nails and can be transferred anywhere , including your ears and nose and the food you eat. They recommend that you wash the sheets every 3-4 days and to keep hands very clean to prevent reinfestation. You can either take an OTC pin worm remedy but please know they do not kill the eggs. You nan also use a black walnut husk tincture(15-20 drops a day) , wormwood and garlic to kill the adults. Cloves will kill the eggs, I used the clove oil around my rectum and vagina, that stopped the itching as well as killed the eggs. If you have garlic pills, you can break them and use as well. THE CLOVE OIL IS ESSENTIAL TO KILL THE EGGS. I have been using a Q tips and cotton balls to periodically apply clove oil under and around my nails to kill the eggs. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD NOT USE THESE REMEDIES WITHOUT CONSULTING A DOCTOR. Pregnant women should be able to use the clove oil externally to kill the eggs, but consult your doctor first. Clove oil is also good for toothaches and itchiness. I bought a spray called the ERADICATOR which contains pyrethum to kill the eggs on surfaces and the air. Pin worm infestations can be a vicious cycle as they are highly contagious. All family members should be treated. I will treat this for the next 2 months just to be certain. IF NOTHING ELSE USE THE CLOVE OIL TO STOP THE ITCH. What do you have to lose?
Everything can be bought on Amazon. Don't forget to spray your keyboard with ERADICATOR..
*** Just to let you know that the full strength clove oil does burn!.** I let it sit for about 10 seconds and wiped it off. Some remained because I am currently itch free.I'd rather have a few seconds of burning than a night of itching.The second time I used it on my rectum, it burned but I let it stay and then the burning stopped.You can dilute it with water but I think oil is better. Mix it to the strength you can take. Remember to keep using the clove oil under your nails and around the nail bed to kill the eggs. Spray the bed sheet with the Eradicator( or product containing pyrethrum) to kill the eggs before removing them from the bed. Shaking the sheet will only launch the egg into the air. I recommend spraying the entire house, pay attention especially things like doorknobs, keyboards and things you usually touch. I would also use some of the oil(mixed or not) inside the ears and around the nostrils. The eggs can be transported anywhere...we all probably have scratched in our sleep and touched parts of our faces.
I wanted to make sure that people are aware that having a vaginal itch with no discharge in addition to the anal itch is quite common with females that are infected by pinworms. I tried diflucan and other vaginal remedies that never worked.I had felt a creepy crawly sensation below  with intense night time itching . I kept trying to check but saw nothing. It was only when I understood that pinworms are also known as thread worms because they look like little bits of white or translucent thread that I knew I was infested. Take a bath before bed, wait for the itching and take a pice of tape and press it against your anus. You'll see them moving on it . Prior to that , I thought they were fibers from my panties or toilet paper fibers. I took Pin-X and got some relieve but it came back. During this time I finally saw a couple of them move. YUCKKK!!!! Anywho , get a prescription or the OTC remedy.  I am also taking the 20 drops of Black walnut tincture, the wormwood and eating garlic(or garlic pills). I am covering all my bases. NO PRISONERS!!!! Don't forget to use the Eradicator or any other spray containing the pyrethrum that's safe for home use in conjunction with coating under your nails and fingertips with clove oil. I carry it with me everywhere.  GNC , the Vitamin Shoppe and health foods  sell the clove oil and perhaps  the other things as well.. I ordered all mine online but couldn't wait a  day longer so I bought the clove oil at GNC .Give me some feedback and let me know if you guys had any luck.
Did any of you notice small black fibre-like things on your pants too? This sounds similar to what a friend of mine has, and she is really tortured by it too! Or small cotton wool-like nests?
Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade, of course)!
If you have pinworms, THIS IS A MUST! Look it up online.
Forget the OTC drugs, even the Vermoxx is questionable.
I believe these parasites have overtime become immune
to these drugs. The great thing about the DE is you can take it daily
until the entire life cycle of the eggs to adult has run it's course. You can
even continue to take this as it a great source of minerals!
Took vermox twice. outside the states the course includes the tablet twice daily for three days. Still feel the creepy crawlers. Funny there's no itch, just a 'bite' late afternoon.  i did however get a bad wave of perianal and vaginal itching at first and that's how i realised i had the infection. Stupid me. i was renting with a family and knew the little daughter had the infection and even though i'm a doctor i didn't bother to take preventive measures.
All i can say is that resistance is a scientific fact. my mother is african and claims that pumkin seeds are an ancient age old remedy that was always used by our ancestors. lets face it, these worms always existed but vermox didnt. and for the fact, the human race isn't all infected therefore the treatments of the past did work. She also mentioned garlic which is in its chemical composition an antiseptic. cloves as well. And honey has a glorious history of working wonders. Please do not use therapies that cause local irritation. the skin is already iritated and has had enough. Try to use milder forms but be persistent about it. it's a shame i couldn't find any scientific research to suggest the best therapy. Nobody will fund garlic anti-pinworm research.. yet!
good luck to all of us and remember the palcebo effect works 30% of the whole therapy effct, so keep it positive!
Ugh! Pinworms! Again! I am only thirteen years old and i have had pinworms on and off for about two years now. When i first got them it was during the summer when i was only 11. I itched and itched all night, too embarrased to tell my mom. I hate when i cant get a good night sleep. Now i noticed when i put pressure on my bottom they seem to quite moving. I cant even be active anymore without the itching. My mom bought me Conbactrin or something like that and it was like 20 dollars. But that was expensive to her and she didnt even think i had them even though i could pull them out of my bottom. Gross! I got them again 2 months later. And i have just keep getting them every two months since then, My mom is getting tired of buying medication for me. Back when i was eleven they would just dissapear. But now i dont know what to do anymore. They keep comming back! GRRRRRR! I am gonna try the suggestions from BlahBlah88. Thanks everyone. It means alot. I know what your going through. They make me wanna swear so bad!!!! UGGHHH!!!!!! Hopefully it works :)
Ok...after doing almost ALL of these interventions, I did the unthinkable.  I did a garlic douche and then *gasp* a garlic enema using tap water & garlic powder.  I slept the whole night after!  I also drank a small glass of water with garlic powder in it each morning & each afternoon.  It doesn't really have any taste, just the smell, which I GLADLY tolerated to get rid of these little bast***s.   I turned on ALL the lights in the house & washed the sheets every few days.  I even ironed the sheets while they were on the bed as soon as I got home from work.  I was desperate (quite obviously), but these things seemed to work.  Good luck.  All I can think is that God had a bizarre sense of humor when creating them, but all I want is for them to DIE!!!!!!
Pinworms are not easy to get rid of.  Some people need a lot more medication for a longer time.  You can order Vermox online.  Do a search online using the key words:   1564827 ICU    .  Look at the first link that comes up.  I had the same problem for months and this worked for me.  Remember that the medications must be chewed and taken with a fatty meal to be absorbed properly.
I've been dealing with this for over 3yrs.   I found them on myself the first three times and then on my daughter the last 3 times and once on my son.  It  happens every 3-4 months.  They are impossible to get rid of.  I have 3 children which go back and forth from my house to their dads.  I'm on them all the time about washing there hands.  They wash when they get up, before they eat anything and when they come in from being outside.  I have thoroughly cleaned my house everytime I find them.  I do a 8 to 10 hour cleaning.  I try to clean everything and anything they come into contact with.  But how do you clean books and papers and how about anything they may touch at school.  I can't clean their desks.  It's impossible.  I've even washed the walls, lamps, every light switch and door knob.  My vehicles, my dog and anything the dog may have touched...but they just keep coming back.  Is there anything that kills the eggs.  I need help.  I can't keep cleaning like this.  My laundry machines are going continuously.  My water bill is nuts.  My nine year old has been showering every morning for 5 months.  This is crazy.  I throw my hands up and say they won.  They are going to be part of my family.  I may even name them.  I there is anything out there to get rid of them please let me know.  I do believe that it is going to be impossible with kids.  They come into contact with so many other children I think they just keep re infecting each other.  Thanks
I truly empathize with you all. Pinworms are gross and annoying. The worst part is that we seem to suffer alone and the Doctors have no idea how to help us. I have been through everything - the vermox, herbal remedies, colon cleanses etc. Nothing lasts forever, if you are one of the unlucky ones who just seems to pick up the eggs out of nowhere - it makes me wanna scream, i presume the same is for you guys.......!? What has helped for me is using garlic capsules as suppositories every night - use a little olive oil to help it in. Yes it burns like hell but its worth it. I also take the capsules orally. In order to avoid infection, it it vital to take probiotics and digestive enzymes- one that is high in protease, an enzyme which helps digest proteins. I reccomend Digest Gold by Enzymedica. There is no magical answer, as of yet I am still  to find the guaranteed supplements to avoid getting infected. The cleaning can make you paranoid. Face facts the eggs are there and there is no avoiding them. The only thing we can do is help our bodies get rid of the eggs without them hatching inside us. MSM powder is also helpfull since it stops anything from sticking to the colon walls.
Good luck waging war, I hope this helps.
Wow...I am amazed at how many reponses I've gotten since my original post!  I quit checking this forum because I wasn't getting reponses and when I checked today for the first time in a very long time I was happy and sad at the same time.  HAPPY that we are not CRAZY thinking we are the only ones dealing with the pinworms and at the same time  SAD that we are not the only ones dealing with the pinworms.  (If that makes any sense).

OK...here is my story.
Oddly enough I remember the very night I felt one for the first time. It was Nov. 4, 2001.  I was laying in bed reading a Harry Potter book and I felt one wiggling.  I panicked a little but said nothing to my husband who was laying next to me because I thought he would think I was nasty.  I thought, I'll call the pediatrician and get some pills to treat my whole family and be done with it and never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be sitting at my computer in this forum many years later still trying to get help.

Oddly enough my husband has never gotten them.  We sleep in the same bed we use the same shower but use separate commodes.  My youngest daughter, now 16,  use to be able to get ride of them.  Through the years she might have gotten them maybe 3 times but the medicines always worked for her.  This year,  They aren't working for her . They for some reason are becoming resistant to medicines in her body(mebendazole, pinx).  My oldest daughter and myself have never been able to get rid of them.

We are very clean.  we never eat with out washing our hands. we change sheets every 3 days or so....so on and so on and so on.

OK...now ...What's my opinion of doctors?  The first 4 years of dealing with this I went to 5 different doctors: A pediatrician, 2 general doctors and 2 gastrointestinal doctors. After being prescribed mebendazole after mebendazole I finally gave up seeking help from them.  When I would tell them that the meds were not working they literally would look at me like I was crazy and bluntly tell me that they work and there is nothing else to prescribe. And that there are no other researches being done for new drugs because these meds work.  I'm sure there are some really good caring doctors out there but I haven't found one yet.  The ones I have delt with are smug and condiscending and down right don't care about us.  They simply wash there hands of us.  

After I realized I would have to find a cure on my own (with no luck), several years went by, until last year I simply was just not feeling well.  I decided to go to the doctor and reluctantly told him about our issue. He then sent us to a different gastrointerologist.  My daughter and I both had an endoscopy and and a colonoscopy. But he found no pinworms in our colon which I believed the colon cleanser prep that we had to take washed out the ones visible to the naked eye.  So because he didn't see anything he won't try to treat us for it even though he mentioned before the colonoscopy that there are parasitic drugs that he could get across the border.  I told him to get my lab results from my last doctor who diagnosed the worm in 2005  but he wouldn't do it.  I don't understand why.  

And once again we are on our own to try to find a cure.  I have been watching that New TV series Monsters Inside Me to maybe gather some information about different types of medications.

We have tried many many different things herbal and of course nothing has worked. I hope that one day we can make doctors wake up and realize what is going on.  One of the problems I think is is that they are all in denial.  I guess one way to wake them up to this epidemic is to hand them a handful of eggs and see if they can get rid of it themselves.  (just kidding)  I would never do that but It has crossed my mind.  I have to find some humor in this.  Good Luck to everyone here.  And If you find a cure please let us know.  
Sorry for being so long winded!
Gah! Hello, I am Olivia, and I am only 13. Pinworms are the reason for my paranoia. I've had them for three and a half years on and off. I've gone to "doctors" who say these stupid meds will work, but nope. I've taken Reece's Pinworm Medicine and others so many times!!! I've also taken on the job of cleaning every nook and cranny of my room. I even cut my nails that I loved, but that's no big deal. It doesn't help I fear many things... So I cry myself to sleep. Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.
I wanted to add a few more things...

To: GRAYAM......when one of the doctors acted like I was just imagining things I explained to him that I can feel them wiggling down my legs and up my back and on my buttom he just shrugged his shoulders.....I also have wished in the past that I would catch the flu because i thought that maybe if my body temperature went up it might kill them because they can't handle temperature change.  (wishful thinking).  Hang in there!

To: HOPELESS080780.....I have done my share of crying to....It's a horrible thing to have to be going through and especially if your children are infested as well.  My oldest daughter had to go through high school and all of her college life with it....It has really affected her social life and self esteem.  I live in a small town and I worry about who is going to find out.  I wonder how many people in this small town are dealing with it as well.  I've read on the internet that sometimes they simply just go away.   That is a laugh.  Obviously the people who write those articles have never had to deal with this.

To: SUGARBEET.......We have taken the Diatomacious Earth food grade and it didn't work for us but I was in another forum back in 2002 that was started by someone else.  A woman in that forum tried it and it worked for her for some reason.  What everyone needs to know about DE is that you have to be careful about inhaling because it can act like asbestos to your lungs.  Thanks for your imput!!

To: KH07.....My heart goes out to you being so young.  It's one thing me going through this at my age but to see a child going through this is terrible.  Maybe one day we'll get this fixed!!!!  Hang in there!!

To: SICKOFIT08.....A good name for them could be a**holes. I have named them a few times myself.  At times I think we will just have to live with them.  Then I get my second wind and start fighting again and doing research.  As far as the cleaning goes I'm not as crazy as I used to be.  It use to make me frantic.  I just focus on the main things like the floors and sheets and good hand washing. I rub clorox cleanup on the toilet seat in the mornings after our showers. I fill the tubs up with scalding hot tap water a few inches just to kill that nights eggs.  It keeps me from having to be around so many harmful cleaners.  I don't let my girls sit on the furniture in short shorts and things like that.  Nobody does the laundry but me that way I know there is no cross contaminations.  

To: AFELLOWSUFFERER......I actually started taking a probiotic called Acidophilus.  Each pill has 1 Billion good bacteria in it.  My daughter and I have started feeling better.  The worms are deficating inside of you and can cause you to feel ill.  You can get Acidophilus at walmart at the herbal vitamins for anyone who is interested.  I also started taking a melatonin that you can get there as well.  I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems to calm them down somewhat and I can get a few hours good night sleep.

To everyone in this forum please keep in touch.  thanks

I came because I can't get rid of the pinworm, I also have end stage Lyme and it is like the invasion of the body snatchers!!
Grayam you mentioned you suspect a lack of digestiv eenyzymes might be the problem. I know that a lack of hydrocloric acid will cause candida albican so I did a search and sure enough a lack of HCI wll cause parasite and worms to grow.
You can buy this over the counter and just experiment with the dose. I did when I was first tested then kept forgetting to take it- Lyme brain - but sure won't now. Thanks for the memory jog and good luck
and strict diet.  
I did more reseach on the pinworm eggs and found we need to add HCI and digestive enyzmes to kill the parasites and eggs in the digesstive tract. Plus a diet of absolutly no carbs exept from vegatables. I had read where grains and some carbs are fine but apparently not- only from vegatables. So, it would be a diet of meat and veggies. Sure worth a try. And thanks you to everyone here for the information
I've had it for 10 years and just got the courage to go to the doctor. They gave me these 2 pills and I was SO excited to get rid of them. I've taken the first one 3 days ao and I FLIPPED when I saw that they were back! So I decided to see what was up. I found this site. And now I'm worrying they'll NEVER go away. Wish me luck when I take the 2nd one in 2 weeks...
Hi everyone,

I feel bad for everyone on here.  When I was growing up we had a run-in with pinworms!  We did not have money to go to the doctor so my mom was very much into natural remedies.  I remember she would give us wormwood and it is really bitter.  The little nasty things went away for good!  I have never had them again.  I noticed someone else on here recommended wormwood.  Maybe google and find out exactly how to use it.  

God bless you all.
I've taken wormwood in the pill form and it didn't work. It wasn't bitter.  Did you take it in the raw form? And, if so,  does she remember where she got it? If it works in raw form , and we can find it,  that would be awesome!
I too have had pinworms for 6 years. I've tried raw wormwood, garlic, carrots, zinc oxide, perscription medications, milk baths, papaya seeds, apple vinegar, aloe vera - basically every home remedy and perscription med out there. And the doctors laughed in my face and no longer even tried to help. Same story as you guys. However, I have a slight twist - my vagina is the only area infected. I cannot for the life of me get rid of them. I've been stuffing anything and everything up there in hopes of at least making a dent in their numbers. I've washed myself out with soap and have even been resorting to harmful chemicals. I'm getting desperate people! Has anyone ever destroyed a vaginal infestation before?

A helpful tip for anal victims:
To prevent travel between my vagina and colon, at night I tape my anus with medical tape. It works wonders especially if you feel the actual worms themselves as opposed to the itchy secretion. It also traps the eggs to prevent further reinfection.
I wonder if cortizone works? it says yo can put it on you anal and genital area ut i just dont know please helpp!!
15 years and I have not gotten rid of my pinworms for even one day!
Doctors: Worse than useless. I really do wish they would get worms so then I could laugh in their faces!
Health Food Store remedies: I've spent thousands of dollars. They don't work.

What works somewhat is fresh garlic, fresh bitter melon, any kind of oil as it makes the intestinal walls slippery and they can't hold on. Gallons and gallons of water with fresh lemon and lime. And pharmaceutical grade bentonite clay powders that you mix with water and a little fruit juice. It's an ancient remedy.

Drugs work for this, just not the drug that the doctors give you. That drug is USELESS.

Go to wikipedia and look up "anthelminthic" drugs
10 out of 12 of them are not approved for use in the US.
WHY IS THAT? BECAUSE THEY WORK, THAT'S WHY
I have ordered several of these drugs and I finally have had some results.

You are very brave. I know what you mean about "a second wind". After I muster my money and resources and make a run at them, and I fail, I feel so emotionally and psychologically drained. It takes time to muster another attack.

I like to remember that we are all animals and we are all the work of the same creator. Most people's bodies just get rid of this naturally. Mine does not. There is a reason for that, but perhaps I'll never know it. Good Luck and God Bless You...
wow....15 years.  It's been like a nightmare that you can't seem to wake up from hasn't it.  Please let me in on where you can order the drugs that are starting to work for you.  We might try that if our new plan doesn't work.

Here is our new plan of attack:
We bought something at an herb store called Parastroy  by NaturesSecret.com. It comes in a box with two bottles, Para-rid and Para-sweep with 90 pills in each. My 16 year old is using it.  She started it on Friday and so far she feels like it is working.  I open two pills of each bottle and put it into a small glass of eggnog to make it taste and absorb better. She does it twice a day.  

My oldest daughter and I are taking something called Oil of Wild Oregano(oreganol P73).  website is www.p-73.com.  I had seen it on a show called Your Health with Dr. Becker (his is a different brand)(http://www.bioinnovations.net/prodinfo.asp?number=BN63105)and he specifically said it gets rid of parasites.  Soooooo,  I spent my money again and we are trying it.  My oldest daughter started it on Friday and  she is seeing a difference.  If you have a Whole Foods around you , you might be able to find it there.(if your interested).  But it must be wild picked from the mediterrranean. I started mine yesterday and the jury is still out on me.  

If this new plan of attack works I will sure let everyone know!!

If we can go at least 1 month without feeling anything I will assume it worked.  If we do get rid of this I think I will always live with the fear in  the back of my mind that we might catch it again. I always say that things could always be worst!
Im 14 and i got pin worms the other day. i have this mdication but afteer hearing these stories, im afraid it might not work. i have to cry every night the ich is unbarable. my brother and dad have it to,  
is there anyways to stop the itch????????
a cream for hemorrhoids work okay...but there is really nothing else.  Don't use ointment because it is harder to wipe off in the mornings.  Sorry you are going through this!
In regards to the "oil of wild oregano" and the "Paratroy" ....it didn't work! as usual
This has been the scourge of my life.  I first contracted pinworms when I was 11.  This continued intermittently for 8 years.  Medications worked for a while by the creatures would always make a come back  months later.  It suddenly ended.
When my oldest daughter was 6 she contracted pins worms.  My fifth child was six weeks old. Horrifying! The pinworm scourge continued to aggravate my large family for another 7 years coming and going in the same pattern as I had had as a child. Initially some of the other children were infected but later it was just my daughter and sometimes me. We are both nail biters. Medications and deep housecleaning worked, but the creatures would often resurface around Christmas time after I had carefully cleaned and decorated the house.  That's when I began to suspect the Christmas decorations...The occasional reinfections continued for the next 9years.  When my eighth child was 2, he got them.  He was just learning how the use the potty and also a terrible thumb sucker and later nail biter...not a good combination.  I was resigned to the fact that we would have this disease for some years more.  And we did, in the same intermittent way.  
Finally when I left my husband and moved out of the marital home taking the younger children with me (the baby was then 7), we had one more outbreak, took medicine, and poof! the scourge was gone. It seemed to be a metaphor for a bad marriage.
More recently the older daughter, now 34, took the family kitchen table out of storage and cleaned it up really well for her apartment and guess what...she came down with pinworms a few weeks later. She took vermox and is fine.  So what do you think?  I am thinking that the eggs can live for years in some sort of hibernated condition but be brought out of it somehow. The top and edges of that kitchen table was cleaned daily, but the underside, not so much... the door knobs, drawer pulls, light switches in that house were cleaned, but not daily... the Christmas decorations were put away in dark boxes each year.
I have been going through old toys and children's school papers this week.  My daughter reminded me to be careful about you know what.  So I have been using lots of bleach water and sunlight on the toys.  The papers I may have  to throw out(pain and suffering!).  I may have exposed myself after all.  Will be waiting for the night creatures to return in a few weeks. At least I don't have a house full of rug rats to contend with anymore, but that baby, now 19 years old, still lives with me...and still bites his nails...  It will be interesting. Bye for now.  

OMG, I cant believe u had to go thru that.. I am a mom of four and had my first pin worm case when I was 7 and it was bad, but I got rid of them.. Then like 6 years ago my boys stayed with their great grandfather in Florida and came back with them. They eat alot of catfish, they raise them as well. anyways I think they came from the fish not being completely throughly cooked, or not, never know, gotta start somewhere. So my oldest was 8 yrs old and yongest a small baby. Gross finding them in her diaper at a campground noless. I have been fighting them for 6 and 1/2 years now. They are so gross, when u think they are gone, they are back. One time we had them gone for almost a whole year. And then they were back, and back, have taken vermox, metab.., and pin-x.. Dont know what else to do. Have done the cleaning, washing hands, before and after touching anything.. My hands are like dry and cracked from all the washing.. I dont itch at night, I dont sleep well, so I would notice, but I do feel them during the day, and I usuall can get it, gross I know, but it is so nasty to have them and dont want to infect the kids. Well this time they infected me. So went out to walgreens in the middle of the night to get medicine, it is really expensive now.. So if anyone knows of a real cure, besides killing us all, HELP PLEASE.... Tooo Long, needs to end, and also we eat lots of garlic...
TO MOMTO8:
It is so hard trying to fight something that you can't see to the naked eye.  Both my daughters and I still have them.  I always read that the eggs can only live for a month or two.  But I don't believe that.  I also read that the worms would eventually go away on there own.  That info was definately written by people who have never had them because they NEVER go away on there own.  In our situation the meds have never killed the worms. (except for my youngest daughter...but now the worms are resistant in her body as well) There is NEVER a period of not feeling anything.  For us they are always there, all day and all night.  When you finally did get rid of them what did you take?  Was it the usual mebendazole or pinx?  Also, I was wondering if your kids had ever been in daycare?  I know it runs rampid there.

TO MOMOF4AND1HUSBAND:
To my understanding you can't get pinworms from fish. But there are different worms you can get from undercooked fish.  They could of gotten them from an infected bathroom somewhere or a public swimming pool. I always tell my kids to put toilet paper on any public toilet.  Also, from touching grocery buggies after kids have been sitting in them.  You never know where there hands have been! Think of all the people that have touched them before you.
I have a strong idea of where ours came from.  I have told no one outside our immediate family and doctors who look at us like we're crazy...but I won't go down that road again...it makes me angry. And I'm tired of feeling that way.  I'm sorry for what you are going through.  I know how upsetting it is.  Just keep checking back to this forum for updates....you never know when a cure might be mentioned. :0)
I went to my naturopathic doctor because I suspected that I had pinworms.  He prescribed Vermex and Pro Vermifuge.  "Vermex was first introduced as an anthelmintic in 1953. A large number of piperazine compounds have anthelmintic action. Their mode of action is generally by paralysing parasites, which allows the host body to easily remove or expel the invading organism."  

Bella377 must be right about the link between the lack of HCI and parasites.  Due to taking birth control pills for many years I have low HCI levals. (Birth Control Pills contain high levals of copper.  Excess levals of copper deplete zinc.  Zinc is needed for HCI production)  So Birth Control Pills and Parasites must be a bad combination.  

I've been battling pinworms on and off since i was a teenager (15 years ago).  Back then i was too ashamed to talk to anyone about that wiggling sensation, but it used to drive me so crazy that i'd spit on my pinkie, insert it, and scrape out the offending pinworm.  I'd watch it wiggle away and then crush it.  The wiggling sensation would be gone and i could sleep.

Now i have kids, 7 and 9.  In the past year we've been infected(and i say this because i have the wiggling sensation) 3 times. Once i checked the kids and they had worms - did the nighttime flashlight check - we got a course of Vermox and that was the end of it.  A few months later that, unfortunately distinct feeling was back, didn't want to go to the dr. over it again for fear of social ramifications, and instead opted for Pin-X, seemed to do the trick.  Just a few weeks ago i started getting the wiggling sensation again.  I can't sleep because right as i'm dozing off it kicks up again.  I've been trying garlic supplements this time around and it's not working.  I also got some vermox and have used it twice already, 100mg/week for 2 weeks)  It seems to make it stop for 3-4 days and then it's back.  

It's 4:30am and i have to work in 3 hours and i'm losing my mind.  I'm going to pick up some pin-x tomorrow and do a mega dose.  Apparently, from what i've read on Wikipedia and some veterinary sites it's very safe as it's not absorbed well in humans and just paralyzes the worms.

On a side note i did research that People with low Hydrochloric Acid in their stomachs are more prone to parasites, yeast, etc.  I'm going to order some supplements and try it out too.  On a side note, i just read eating for your blood type.  It says type AB blood type typically has low HCL.  I wonder how many Pinworm sufferers are type AB.

Thank  you everyone for sharing your stories, it really helps.
I started using noxema on my botton and on my vagina today. It's the first relief I have had in years. I hope it keeps the worms inside and they all die. I put alot on.
Hi everyone,
I am 14 years old going to be 15 in April. I have had these pinworms since i was in pre-k. i was like 4 i HATE it so much. I realized it the night i was going to be the little canidate for the homecoming queen and king. It was just so hard to handle the itch it was so bad! I went to the docters and everything nothing seemed to work. I have had them off and on. They just seem to go away when they feel like it and then come back. Sometimes I dread just to got to bed even though I like to sleep it itches way to bad. During the day it itches bad sometimes too. It really ***** because I live in a really small town I mean really there is one school and there are probably baearley 500 kinds in our whole school. My class alone has 19 kids. I am so worried that someone it my class or town will find out. Like on science or Biology they will cringe their nose about it and I will just sink in my seat because I can't say gross because I have it!! I am just so afraid if I tell anyone they will not like me anymore.!
I am so sorry for what you are going through!  I definately would not tell anyone except your parents which I know you already have because you have been to the doctor.  People who are not going  through this would not understand!!!!  Especially kids your age. I do believe that there are other people in your school going through the same thing but no one talks about it.
It's sort of a "catch 22".  Nothing is done about it because no one feels comfortable talking about it, so the medical industry (supposedly) does not really realize that this is an epidemic.  And, at the same time, we need to talk about it so something could be done about it in the medical industry.  
Keep checking back from time to time!
The important thing about getting rid of pinworms would seem to me to be interupting their cycle. Since they must lay their eggs just outside the anus, that seems like the logical place (easy to get to) to stage your best defense. After reading many different remedies, this is what I came up with...while I internally take about 6-8 garlic capsules a day, I created a salve using what seemed the most effective ingredients for getting rid of the eggs. If you get rid of the eggs, eventually no more pinworms. The adult has a pretty short life cycle.

Here is the salve recipe:
1) I make a base using Triple antibiotic ointment, mostly because it is the consistency of vaseline and I don't have any vaseline. Any really thick ointment will work. Squirt a 2 inch blob or so into into a small dish. (smothers the eggs which require oxygen; also smothers their parents)

2) Add 4 or 5 drops of clove oil. (kills the eggs)

3) Add 3 or 4 drops of iodine. (kills the eggs)

4) Add a few drops of Neem oil. (kills the eggs)

5) cut open 6 or 8 capsules of garlic pills and squirt the contents into the mixture.

6) Mix it up into a nice paste. you should have enough to last you a day or so.

7) Apply to genital area and then slather onto your anus, working it in and pushing a bit up inside.  

I just started using this 2 days ago and it has definitely done something because the itching, which had become unbearable,  is entirely gone! Now I know that doesn't mean I've gotten completely rid of them. I will continue to take the garlic and continue using the salve for a couple weeks at least. After that I will evaluate the situation and decide what is next.

NOTE: Any of the ingredients should actually be able to kill the eggs or kill what comes out of the eggs. So if you don't have Neem, for instance, no sweat. Just use the others which are much easier to get. Or, to start, use which ever ones you have available. I do believe the thick vaseline type base is very important however, as it tends to 'suffocate' them. One woman said she used only Noxema. Slathered it on her bottom for a couple weeks and the worms were completely gone. Have made a note to pick up some Noxema as a back up.  

Just thoughts. Hope it helps.
Signed,
Not Suffering Today, Yay!
SOOO glad to know I am not the only one suffering from this.  I used to work with kids for 15 years and about 2 years ago I developed them.  The itching is driving me crazy and so much so that at times it gets infected and burns.  I havent been to the doctor because of the stigmatism of this and I am just plain embarrassed.  So again its good to know I am not the only one suffering from pinworms.  Thanks for everyones responses.  I have tried PinX but it didnt work.  Now I think I am going to try some other things.  And hopefully they will work.  
FWIW -

Suffering from these also. I think I get them from work :S. We got a few new employees recently.

Pin-X makes them go away for a few days, then they come back.

Windex! This offers some immediate relief. Spray directly to the bottom if you have an itch at night. The ammonia turns them away from coming out.

I'm contemplating dip used for animals to kill the eggs. This worked for crabs once - that I got from an on-base bunk back in the Marines. This would be highly toxic and nothing a pregnant woman or woman wanting to get pregnant should consider.

Yes - please keep adding to this forum. The problem's not going away soon mostly likely...

Parasites may be related to a zinc deficiency -

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/5/1412S.full
are pinwormstransmitted sexually?
For a long time i have had a runny nose issue which is also a symptom of it. also my nose and ears are itchy a lot.
How would you treat this if you have a nose/ear/vaginal infestation?

I am itchy everywhere, mostly my legs,chest,back, and stomache
try a little vinegar in an enema bottle a couple of times a day; and take a shot of vinegar with lemon - often; let me know how it goes.  i find the vinegar deadens the tissue and relieves some of the discomfort.  unfortunately i haven't gotten rid of them myself yet, but a little relief helps.
How's it going, after using your paste? Thanks for the recipe!! I'm going to get the ingredients tomorrow and start it.

By the way, I've never seen the worms or felt the itching (thank god!) but Metametrix Lab diagnosed them from a stool sample. I have continual itching on my back, wonder if that's due to pinworms?

CHECK THIS OUT: an anti-parasite product at http://www.onelifeusa.com/doctorparasitecleanse. This is made according to the recommendations of Dr. Hulda Clark, a leading expert on parasites, and the author of book 'The Cure For All Disease'. It has liquid clove oil, black walnut oil, wormwood and other essential ingredients.
Only $16.97(!) for starter kit. Check it out.

Blessings to everyone, may all beings be free from suffering, happy and healthy!
As someone already posted. DIATOMEOUS EARTH FOOD GRADE.
Kills worms physically and not chemically so they can't build up resistance.
If you dont rid yourself of these worms you will likely end up with cancer through lack of vitamins.
100% of cancer patients have worms or parasite infection.
Please don't give out incorrect information.  !00% of cancer patients DO NOT have worms or parasite infections.  This is completely wrong.  Also, these worms WILL NOT cause cancer.
Anthing that is robbing u of vitamins and minerals may well cause cancer.
Google "do cancer suffers have woman" and take expert opinions.
Ha! that should be worm's not women but works just as well
~.0
I did not find any reputable websites when I googled that.
My 6 year old son I THINK has had these for a few months BUT we just found out 3 weeks ago He has been to the Dr. twice and he gave him one pill each week .. I don't see him scratching his but that much anymore BUT he but is still VERY RED and still hurts him which was the symptom that I has seen from the frist of this.. so yesterday I went and bought some Pin-X because we are going broke and this JUST STARTED.. OMG reading all of this is really freaking me out.. I started him on Garlic pills 3/day about 9 days ago also giving him 1 Acidophilus pill a day I also Break a Garlic pill open and apply it to his butt 2 to 3 times a day and making him wash his hands ALOT.. I am also washing sheets and bedding like CRAZY and using my steamer ect.. Wonder IF Destin would help maybe mixed with some Garlic???? I am going to give him another Pix-x pill in a week and keep up with the Garlic and washing everything ect.. GOSH I hope and pray that we ALL can get rid of these STUPID things..
Wow! So glad I found you guys! This is the worst feeling sensation ever, the little wiggles in my vagina and my ***. Worms no longer poster has a great idea. Don't let them out of your *** or vagina and they will have to die off because oft their short life cycle.
.
So last night here is what I tried. First took a shower and scrubbed my body and especially *** and vagina. Then tried the posters idea who tried windex (which contains ammonia and sprayed that on *** and vagina.
Then took a clove of garlic (which you can buy for about a quarter at the grocery store) and put one clove just barely inside my anus and one clove just barely inside my vagina.  Then took a globe of vics and put that on my anus area. Not one wiggly or itch all night long! Whew, what a relief!
Will continue this battle for the next two weeks and keep everyone posted
.
Forgot to say poster who posted that noxema works may be because it also contains a form of
Ammonia as well as windex. So maybe that is the connection. Also forgot to mention that garlic is found in the produce section in a clump. You peel off the skin and break it apart and it naturally will break apart into a small clove which should be about 1/4 inch wide and 1/2 inch long approximately. Hope this helps!
Also decided to take a zinc tablet everyday to increase my chi levels to see if that helps. Thanks to everybody's help!
Hi everybody. Forgot to mention if you try to garlic clove idea for your vagina as I am doing, I heard from other sites that it can migrate a little, so to prevent that, some sites recommend  sewing a thread through it and let the string hang out of your vagina a fair distance so you can just pull it out when you are ready. Or just buy the garlic oil capsules.
I haven't tried that yet, as the cloves are a fraction of the price.
You can buy 600 garlic pills at Sams Club for about 14 bucks so they do not cost that much at all.. This week Walgreens has them onsale buyone get one free and if you have coupons to throw in with them you can get them cheap and they do last for a long time.. I just read today that Cranberry helps SOOO going to add that to the mix Cranberry pills today when he gets home from school.... This morning I got to thinking that I had them so I took Pin-x myself also today... I am hoping that its just my mind thinking that I have them and I don't :(  anyways washing bed sheets today...
Voila la solution!!

Ingrediants:
Black walnut hul (finely shreded if green/ powder) 5-10gm
Cloves 1-3gm
Garlic  4-5gm
Cumin seeds 2-3gm
Menth leaves 4-6gm
Thym leaves 2-4gm
Origano leaves 2-4gm

Recipe:
Put the ingrediants into a pan then add to it 2 litres of water. Simmer it  for 2-3 hours on a low flame. Filter and use it (1/4 cup daily).

Believe me it works.

For an ointment
Add 1-2 grams of DE in 5-6 grams of oil. Apply gently and don't let the females lay eggs (reduce the probability of re-infestation).

Hi everybody.  Garlic in my anus and vagina definitely does the job .
Relief!  Also, found something else, I am going to try mms, or
Miracle mineral supplement, just google it and download the free ebook.
It is not an herb and does not work by chemically killing, but works by
Exploding the creatures when the molecule comes in contact with them .
Inside your body, safe for humans, but not for parasites!
What a HUGE Nightmare this is.. We have been dealing with this for 5 weeks now with my 6 year old son.. I have been giving him 3 garlic tab and 3 Cranberry tabs a day.. The Dr. Treated him 2 times once every 7 days AND I have treated him twice with Pin-x once every 7 days.. Last Friday I started Give him Fresh Green Black Alnut with workwood Complex 1/4 Dropper 3 times a day.. I have been Giving him a Bath everyday AND today I am started to bath him 2 times a day..  I have been putting baby powder on his But thinking that MAYBE it just needs to heal I put it on there 4 or more times a day.. AND last night after his bath his but started getting MORE red AGAIN.. GOSH this is a NIGHTMARE.... so went today to try and get some more Pin-x and they were OUT BUT ordered some I will get it tomorrow.... I am washinging bed boths like Crazy my water bill was 95 bucks :( this is Breaking us... Next week after payday I am going to take him back to the Dr.. With the long list of things that I am giving him...
I Do have a Question..
Can you see them in your stool??? I have put tolet paper down so that he could use it and it would sit at the top I get a Flash light and look BUT have yet to see any in there.. OR at least nothing at all is  moving..
PLEASE help... I thought that he was almost over this until today when his bottom is MORE red which was the symptoms that he has in the first place... GOSH sending lots of prayers to everyone that is dealing with this NIGHTMARE...
Here is the ONLY scientific evidence I have found as to what destroys the PINWORM EGGS.

Pinworm eggs scientific name is SYPHACIA MURIS

Here is the link

http://la.rsmjournals.com/cgi/reprint/38/1/11.pdf
For all the years that I have been dealing with this I have only seen 1 pinworm in my stool.  that is because I took a HIGH dose of pinx one day out of desperation.  But of course, it did not get rid of them...probably only a few. Normally you do NOT see them in your stool.  That has always baffled me because you would think that you should see them in your stool mainly because of the sheer amount you have inside you.

Have you actually seen the pinworms on his bottom at night?  typically the worms don't make you red like that. Unless he's scratchy alot.  When my daughter was young she was on antibiotics for several weeks and developed a TERRIBLE red rash around her anus which kept getting bigger and bigger.  I found out that it was a yeast infection caused by the antibiotics.  She had to take yeast medication to get rid of it. Check to see if its a yeast infection.  It's been 11 days since your post...hope things are better...keep in touch
Not sure if anyone has tried this, but this is what my mom did to me when I was a kid and got these worms.  She put some Vaseline around the anal area at night before I went to sleep.  If I remember correctly they come out to lay eggs and the eggs would be stuck in the Vaseline which would be wiped away in the morning.  This worked when I was a kid.  Just a suggestion, best of luck.
for pinworms/threadworms use a dollop of zincoxide cream ie sudocrem inserted into rectum after passing stools. this stops them becoming airborne/traps them/kills them. do this for a few months. albendazole can be used for resistant pinworms (most will be now). but it is very bad for the liver so do not keep using it. it will kill some other worms, i bought from indian internet pharmacy
Yes I have seen one worm after the first treatment from the Dr. His Bottom is looking better so I THINK HOPE AND PRAY that he is rid of these TERRIBLE things.. I think that he had these for awhile and we didn't know it.. I think the  Fresh Green Black WAlnut with workwood Complex I am now giving him 2 dropper fulls a day now and it seems to be working his bottom is looking better OR at least it was the last time I looked and I do not see him scratching anymore.. KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED.. I will update later... We are going on Vacation in 4 weeks when we leave I am going to turn the AC off because the heat in the house will kill the eggs we will be gone for 9 days.. I need to order more  Fresh Green Black Alnut with workwood Complex  tho because I am starting to run low and do NOT want to run out of it..
Ok this might sound nasty but back in the time in Mexico people for  getting rid of pinworms they  would get a bucket with a small hose specifically for this and stick it in your anus and inside that bucket was a special liquid to kill the pinworms the liquid will go up to your intestines and cleanse it by later having lots of diarrhea which meant you were severely infested and obviously it worked. But now they made this tablets similar like the ones the doctor offer that obviously are higher in dose. Which are excellent  and do help to those difficult ones that don't want to go but you can't get those here. They are 3 times effective than the ones prescribed by doc.
Here is the stuff that I am using with my son
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Fresh-Green-Black-Walnut-Wormwood-Complex-2-fl-oz-60-ml/591?at=0

I give him 1/2 Dropper full in the morning and at Lunch time at night I give him, 1 full Dropper full..
I am also giving him 1 Adidophilus 3 Garlic pills , 3 Chranberry pills per day.. For Adults I would Double this.. I give him a bath in the mornings and at night.... I THINK that we have beat this.. I am going to go ahead and treat him up to and through our Vacation because when we leave I am turning off AC which the heat in the house will kill any left over eggs :)

I also wash there bed sheets every few days and this is GETTING OLD LOL.. and running up my water bill BUT I am ahead of the game so NOT got to lax on this because I KNOW how hard this is to get rid of..
I hope that this helps others here because I do think that he is over this and the above is what helped MORE than going to the Dr OR Pin-X and its cheaper...
Let me know if this helps you alll to..
I have tried the black walnut and wormword in powder form but not in liquid form.  I will definately try that when I can afford to buy several at one time...right now school expenses are taking all my money this month :(     hopefully by august we can get started on it.  My oldest daughter started drinking pure unsweetened condensed cranberry juice that she found in the SPECIALTY ITEMS SECTION at winn dixie because she started feeling really bad in her back and abdomin (not sure if worm related)..within a day she started feeling better and the pain went away. its was about 9 dollars but much cheaper than a doctors visit.   Can be found at kroger as well.  just wanted to mention it just in case you are interested in trying it.  have a great vacation!
Use combantrin it the best in treating pinworms it comes in chocolate squares, orange flavoured chewable tablets or in a liquid form it evapour rates pinworms within a few hours of taking it. But it doesn't  stop reinfestation
I'm so glad/but also very sad people have this problem too. I have had the little (insert any horrible word) on and off for the last few months and am resistant to every medication i've tried.

Ive tried piperazine, mebendazole, albendazole and Ivermectin. (all in the normal dose and in large doses)

A few years ago i treated with mebendazole (first time i had pinworms) and it worked fine. As did the second time i contracted them.. but then it didnt work after that.

Ivermectin seems to make the itching worse.

Piperazine i dont think has ever worked for me

Albendazole worked.... but i must have picked up some eggs because two weeks later they were back... and resistant to the Albendazole..  even though i was taking a 400mg dose every day...

A week later I went abroad and got a stomach bug for about 9 days. The main symptom being diarrhea (sorry) and they were gone! not a wriggle... until the 10th day - the wriggle was back. and now the intensity is increasing. :(

I'm on birth control pills and so seem to think this may have something to do with why i am prone (Someone said they contain copper which depletes zinc which is needed for the production of hydrochloric acid) so my next step is to take some HCL supplements.

I have had a scotch tape test done and it came back negative! Which was almost expected as it doesn't feel like the worms are leaving the anus - just wriggling wround inside :/

I'm also going to try diatomaceous earth as well but i'm feeling very hopeless at the moment :(

woops sorry for the double post... im new here!
I have had these little fu***** for 2 years and its horrible. By accident I discovered something these worms can't stand.... ALCOHOL   I was on vacation and was drinking moderately (About 4-5 beers/wine per day) and they never bothered me that week. I thought I had got rid of them, but they came back another week later. I was so close. Anybody over 21 should give this a try.
Gosh.. thank goodness I have found this page.. I don't feel so alone and disgusting.. yet so helpless at the same time.

I only became infected for the first time with pinworms about 2 months ago. I remember how I got it too... I will never use public toilets again. I was recently on implanon which since I have had removed which after reading the comments here made me think that deprived my body of some defense. I was on the pill for 5 years prior though so I'm not sure.
Anyway, I've starting to panic as after taking a dose of Zentel and almost finishing a box of combantrin I can still feel them moving around. I am lucky that the itching has never been intense for me.. as I think I am not that sensitive around my vagina and anus, but just the feeling alone makes you want to cry. All I can picture are these maggot looking things (I know they are smaller than that but I remember seeing the first worm.. and to me it looked like a maggot) crawling around inside me.

I've always thought I was a healthy person, but this just makes me feel rotten. My social life feels like its halted completely.

I don't want to go back to the doctor!! Like most people on here I had a horrible experience going to 2 doctors. The first one looked at me like a leper and proceeding to admit he doesn't really treat worms anymore and gave me zantel. The second doctor I went to when I wanted a second opinion determined me also to be filthy and wouldn't let me touch the door to let myself out.
Mind you, by this stage, the skin on my hands was peeling from the vigorous scrubbing habit I have picked up. When I went and picked up my percription, the girl told me 'we don't sell these' and that was it. Embarrassed I tried another pharmacy where at least he was very helpful and could tell I was ashamed.

Sigh.. sorry, I needed to get that out of my system. And hearing all your stories has eased my mind a little.. and preparing me for the battle ahead with these parasites.

I'll be trying everything I can buy online or in secret. Being from Australia makes it that much harder because some stuff may not be aloud in the country.. I shall see.

With love xx
Ok, so I have had pinworms for 5+ years now.  I have tried all of the OTC meds like Reese's, prescription meds, etc to no effect.  I decided to try a Diatemaceous Earth (DE) and clove oil method.  I bought the Red Lake Earth Diatemaceous Earth with Calcium Betonite from Tractor Supply CO.  

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-health/livestock-wormers/red-lake-earth-reg-diatomaceous-earth-with-calcium-bentonite-20-lb--1019864

The Red Lake Earth DE is HORRIBLE!!!  I tried to mix it with coffee, berry juice, etc but its taste is just overpowering!  I am also worried about kidney stones because of the calcium betonite and I have a history of kidney stones.

PLEASE, any ideas on a DE product that tastes better and does not carry the kidney stone danger.  Thanks guys!!!
Have any of you tried vinegar/warm water enemas?
im 13 and i have pinworm.i am in 3 sports and it KILLS. my docter gave me Mebendazole....yeah didnt work...they came back like 3 months later...i cant sleep.my mom cleans like crazy when she finds out i have them AGAIN.when im older im going to invent something that KILLLSSSS them forever!!!

--i also have this wierd rash on my back theres red dot like thing and there close together and when you touch it it feels like spikes sticking out and its dry and it itches and it reaaallllyy hurts. any clues on what it is.. i got it after i was at a party we went throught a corn field..( if that helps) she lives in the country so there were lots of bug.. maybe its bug related? ...i dont know please help!!!!
Hi...sounds like chiggers to me   here are some google images  http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=539&q=chigger+bites&gbv=2&oq=chigger+bites&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1734l4016l0l4203l13l12l0l3l3l0l250l1609l0.6.3l9l0
hi i dont know if i have pinworms or not but i had dirrhea for 3 days and when stool needed to pass i had stomach pain each stool. so shrugged it off and went to bed i had a unbarible itch on my anus. i then hopped in the shower. and cleansed the area. it was fine. i began to so research and pinworms showed up. i go to check my under wear nothing was on it. i thrn had no itches since then. but the painful dirrhea returned, this time with mucus! i looked and there was no white thread looking things anywhere in my stools. also i havent itched since that night. latly i have been eating junk food frequently. could this be pinworms or my colon having issues? could i have IBS? if you have pinworms does it itch every night?
my son has been having pinworms four a year now. i'm going to try some of the remedies on here i hope it helps. no luck from the doctors they think they know everything but they are not the ones suffering from this he keep getting them and and everybody have to be treated my other 2 boys me and my husband. so thanks for the tips
I am 14! I'm so scared :( I got pinworms like three nights ago... and vomited when i saw the white worms in my poop... I cried ll night and didnt sleep... I went to the doctor the next day and she gave me 100 mg of mebendezole... I still see the worms and have itching.... they wont go away... im so scared! I feel like a loser and like i have a problem... if my friends knew they wouldnt get near me.... I'm so scared im going to have these things for the rest of my life! I feel so gross... all I have done for these past few days is cry!!
im 13 years old! =((((((((( been through by this.. pinworms getting out at night. my anus hurts!! at 5pm - i can sleep. NIGHTMARE. =/////////
I dont know what to do. Im a girl. =(( im really scared of what might happen to me.. ;(( im not that dirty girl eating everything.. =(( please help :(( im really scared of what you and other's are commenting.. =( hayy thanks guys:(
I've been battling pinworms and wanted to share some things i've noticed that help and general comments.  
diet is huge, the worms love carbs, especially sugars.  Althought the hydrochloric is interesting i believe our own defense is the key.  for over a year i've been focusing on killing but not enough on strengthening my own body.  the key is to rebuild the friendly flora in your intestines as the worms cannot surge when the intestine is in control.  i only use renew life probiotics, huge difference, i use 50 to 80 bil count, these have enteric coating, walmart prob do nothing.  you need the strains that live in the large intestine.  can't stress enough, have used almost every brand.  
i also like lactoferrin, i believe this and probiotics the parasite cannot gain resistance to.  i don't like diamatous earth as i felt i was getting too many heavy metals, contains bad ones (although seemed to help).  i like oxy-powder intestinal cleanse also.  bowel movements are crucial with parasites.  oh, and for the kill, i rotate herbs daily to prevent resistance, the best herbs i have found are samento capsules (cat's claw), olive leaf capsules (natures way standardized), neem leaf, clove, cumanda (awesome), cayenne.  rotate daily!  Oh, and i mix clove oil with olive oil (to dilute) to apply topically to the anus area, it burns for a few seconds but takes away itching and hopefully kills eggs.  
I don't believe I for certain have pinworms, but I saw these terrible posts and had to comment to add another voice for this ginormous, disgusting battle that is SO unfair to all of us. This is such a heartwarming thing to see, so many people coming together supporting each other. If only I had seen this years ago.

I am a 17 year old female, currently battling anal irritation. When I was 13 (2007-8 or so), I found a worm and showed my mom. She quickly confirmed it in our health information book and said it was a pinworm. She took me to the doctor and I don't believe they ran a test to confirm before they handed me the medication. What medication, I don't remember. It was the generic one all the doctors give for pinworm treatment that never works. This was the first time I noticed anal itching and irritation. Shortly after I took my doses, I noticed the irritation was still there and very obvious. We went back, and ran a tape test, which came back negative. None of my family members got pinworms either, and we went through all precautions to clean our home. Either way, the doc gave me the pinworm med again, since it's "not harmful" to take a second time, apparently. Again, didn't help and the 2nd test came back negative. Not only did this not help, it never reduced the symptoms.

It's 4 years later, and I have received absolutely no good treatment for this issue, and I have not found any worms since that night when I was 13. I saw one worm, one time, and have never felt the sensation of "wiggling" or any movement. I have a insane need to itch and am EXTREMELY uncomfortable in the anal area (not inside, on the outer skin). I have examined myself with a mirror, and never found adult pinworms at night. I have taken 2-3 tape tests since that initial two, and all have come back negative. My boyfriend and I are sexually active, and he knows about my condition openly and supports my fight against it without being rude about it--he has also never had any symptom or worm, along with friends who have spent the night in my bed/had me over to their house.

I have seen numerous doctors, naturopathic, gastroenterologist and dermatologist (which helped the most). I have tried worm pills, grapefruit extract capsules, numerous topical creams and wipes, the list goes on and on. A steroid cream I used to use immensely helped, however, that's dangerous if you use it for topical application day after day for a long period of time. That hints to me that it's not pinworms, but I'm certainly not 100% sure. I have given a stool sample, and it came back negative at gastro. for any blood diseases/abnormal bleeding in the rectum. I'm SOOOO fed up and want this to end. Right. Now. Currently, I'm trying Desitin, which is the diaper rash cream for babies. My dermatologist says she thinks it is a skin rash (due to the tearing of the outer anal skin and nothing internal). Worth a shot.

Have any of you considered the possibility that maybe the pinworms transmitted into something different, like the broad diagnosis "puritus ani", which can come from a variety of different things? This question goes to those who haven't found worms, but still have symptoms. My best guess for myself and those with sensitive skin is that a skin rash has developed ever since the pinworm infection. There have been psychological studies that prove humans who have had parasite infections have formed patterns (almost like OCD) that make it seem as if the worm is still there and that they need to scratch, even when the infection is gone.

I have experienced absolutely no abdominal pain, restless sleep or lack of appetite at any point during this process. The only pinworm symptom I have is itchiness and the intense desire to scratch. I also have a shaky digestive system - sometimes harder, sometimes softer stools is common for me. Hardly ever regular. Also a high level of flatulence and stomach cramps come and go. I have found what look like pieces of skin, and when I touch them, they can resemble a worm. They never move and never "frolic" like the worm I found did. Is it possible I'm finding every worm that could be there, dead? I don't think so. And why are they so visible? As you all describe, I think I would be finding them alive much more often after 4 years of multiplying. Any suggestions for my situation or for getting a clearer diagnosis? I DON'T want to have a gastroenterology examination of any internal kind.

I hope some of you have found relief. Stay strong and keep fighting!
Im 13 years old. And Im suffering this illness for 3-5 years i think.. i did not tell my mom before because i taught its normal that PEOPLE have worms in ther tummies.. and a small worm in my STOOL/FECES.. Im seeing them.. and NOW MY ANUS? or RECTUM HURTS. I dont know if this is a part of being in a PINWORM illnes.. My story is EVERY NIGHT.. uhmm 6 pm - 10 pm.. my ANUS hurts.. super.. and pinworms are gtting out of my anus then sometimes im getting them and throw them by my hand.. im really scared. I told my mom that i am having a pinwowrms but she doesn't believe. we need check up first  , told my mom. AWWWW. any suggestion? im scared. AM I GROSSY? I feel like im EWW. Im eatng Vegetables sometimes. and I drink water and i eat fruits..
and one of these. when my anus hurts.. I THINK i want to POOP always even though  my POOP when its getting OUT its only SMALL .. ?? I dont know.. ;(( Help me please. Need advise.. am i gonna die here? HAVE AN SURGERY IN MY INTESTINE? SHIIIIIIIIIT =(( HELP ME. IM A GIRL, so i thnk pinworms is getting inside of my crack? :// sometimes i put a tape on my anus so they wont go to my..VAGINA:( hmmppp help me guise... and im scared because some of you are telling that MEDS are not EFFECTING? is that true? IS THERE SOMEONE USE MEDS THAT are EFFECTIVE AND pinworms are gone? thanks .. 13 years old from asia..girll:((
Hello, i'm 19 years old, going on 20 in 5 days and i have had worms in my poop as early as i can remember, from around age 8 onwards, i always thought they would just go away, but like you all know they didn't, when i was about 16 i decided to tell my mum about it, she had no idea as no one else in my family had them, not my 2 brothers or the pet dog i had at the time, anyways we went to the doctors and he gave me some tablets for them, they never worked and we would keep going back to the doctors and he would just keep giving us the same medication saying thats all he can give us, i sort of gave up hope but just recently i have been browsing forums like this one and decided to try a trick i read which was to insert garlic just slightly in your anus when you sleep and the number of worms seem to of died down a lot, but sometimes i notice loads(100+) in my poop, i never get them crawling out of my anus, or never notice it, i use dog poop bags and some vasaline and insert my little finger about half an inch into my anus when it starts to itch but i've never actually seen a worm there, neither have i seen them in my underwear there just inside my stools, sometimes just a few, sometimes litterally hundres is this normal? Might i be infected with a different type of parasite?
Simplest thing to do is get a small enema bottle (about $3 at drug store), empty what's in it, put about a teaspoon of vinegar mixed with warm water; use a strainer ($1 store) and see what is in you're stool.  You're right in that it is likely not pinworms.  I went for an Avatar test and it showed 9 types of worms.  Slowly getting rid of them but now I see very little evidence.  I still do the vinegar enemas and take liquid wormword.  Also, since I'm a lot older than you, have had to do a lot of colonics and detox cleansing (like ION, etc).  You should have no problem if you use the vinegar for a while.  Good luck and best wishes.  Let me know.
Hi,   If you have not felt any wiggling since you took the medicine 4 years ago I would assume that the medicine got rid of the worms.  You can definately feel worms wiggling if you have them. There is no doubt. You mentioned puritus ani so I looked it up and found a very informative website (please ignore the picture on the site because it's pretty disgusting) http://www.hemorrhoid.net/pruritisani.php . The fact that your intense itching started after you got the worm could be because of ointments or different things that you used and could have changed the skin around your bottom. I can't use hydrocortizones because it makes me itch so bad down there and it takes days for the itching to go away after i stop using it.  I have permanently damaged myself because of excessive washing which i had to stop.  I always said I would end up permanetly damaging myself and I did. Now I have hemorhoids that never go away and are painful to sit on. I wonder if you might be allergic to something or have you ever been checked for a yeast infection.  Have the acidity levels checked in your stool and check for yeast.  The website mentioned Vytone that is an antifungal antibacterial.  Anyways, I'm sure you've done alot of reading on this.  If you find a cure let us know :)
This post needs more positive feedback, too many posting plans that do not work!  

The one thing you can learn from reading these posts is that pin worms are much like a dandelion.  You will read someone getting rid of the worms then they come back and you have to wonder if they simply did not carry though with a proper and full treatment cycle!

One natural treatment called “Parasites & Worms” says: “Recommendation: Take 2 capsules (two hours before each meal when possible) three times a day, for 21 days. Then stop taking them for 14 days (which gives the larva time to hatch). Then repeat the 2 capsules three times a day again, for 21 days. You will need 3 bottles to do the complete cleanse.”  So to get rid of this problem were talking of a plan that will take several months… don’t stop the treatment too early!  And you’re going to be better off mixing it up, i.e. don’t continue to use the same prescription over and over, try at least 2 cures  http://www.amazon.com/Parasites-Worms-Natural-Cleanse-Capsules/dp/B003GWVWPQ/ref=acc_glance_bt_ai_ps_t_3

On cleaning, yea, you can go nuts on cleaning but don’t burn yourself out; hit what is most important!  It’s super important to clean the dishes, silverware, kitchen counter and table and wash your hands very well before you eat.  When you are done eating put everything in the dishwasher or if hand washing let everything soak in very hot water 1st.  Keep underwear and sheets in a separate laundry basket, wash that stuff with bleach, maybe even run it though twice.  Keep the hands away from the arse, unless your adding something to sterilize the area.  Hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, and vinegar are good for cleaning and you can also put it on your TP to cure the itching… it seems to work for several hours so try it before you go to bed.

One other very important fact, maybe the most important, is a strong immune system.  What’s the best defense verse dandelions?  You have a lawn full of strong healthy grass!  So how do you get a strong immune system?  You eat right, and for those of you on a typical American diet you’re simply not getting it!  There’s an awesome movie called “Food Matters”; it’s a mind blower!  Here’s a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyi2j8iuR8 There are other movies like this worth watching: “A beautiful truth”, and “Fat sick and almost dead”; on Netflix you can stream them for free.  Build up a strong immune system and then you will find it’s much easier to rid your body of unwanted parasites, viruses and other sicknesses, in fact it’s the best preventative medicine!
I too am so confused  if I'm having hemorrhoid reactions or if it's parasites.  I've had a stool sample done but it came back negative~yet it was between my out breaks.  I was allergic to wheat products in 2001 and it does seem that I tend to have these side effects when I start eating wheat/carb related foods.  Also It has just been found that I have gallstones so I did a natural flush and taking many things for liver support.  So between hemorrhoids, gallstones and my wheat allergy I have no clue what to contribute my itching to.  I too have a rash all around my **** but put a yeast cream on it which seems to help.  I'm eating pumpkin seeds and pineapple like crazy.  The burning sensation is finally subsiding.  Doctors are useless!  My Reiki gal diagnosed the gallstones~I did a flush and low and behold...I have gallstones!  ;P  Something my primary, gastro, gyno AND urologist couldn't figure out when I went to them all with swelling in my lower abdomen and pain in my upper.  I've had thousands of dollars of testing done.  My $75 reiki appointment finally put me at ease.  So one last note... I just did a gallstone flush by Dr Hulda Clark which highly recommends doing a parasite cleanse and a kidney cleanse before doing the gallstone flush. ( I didn't do it since my stool sample came out clear)   I'm wondering if this triggered parasites. ?? I also have tiny little skin tags on my body.  Barely recognizable.  Clear in color.  Any advice?
I tried the diatomaceous earth and it certainly works one problem the rest of the house gave up after a couple of weeks.So I carried on (with the dog)for 30 days totally worked.The grey stuff for worming mammals is what you need not the very fine white powder it's got it's uses parasite killing isn't one of them.Any ways one month later they returned due to the kids not continuing with treatment so the three week cycle of eggs to worms continued.Any how if u live on your own this is the way to go.But with a family it's not worth the effort.
Take the meds Combantrin is best like someone posted earlier its one of the few that uses Pyrantel take three doses 3 weeks apart to be sure.They come in chocolate squares really tasty actually after one day all symptons were gone will post back with results.
I wanted to say thank you for starting this discussion and giving comfort to those that are dealing with this problem.  Everyone feels alone when dealing with pinworms...it's just an ugly problem to have. I can honestly say that I feel better knowing that i am not alone and that just because we have this does not mean we are worth less.  Thank you for starting the dialog.  I am going on two long years and have felt the weight of it on my mind almost everyday.
Have you gotten rid of them?  Ar the time of you original post, it had been 8 years, now it would be 10. Any relief in the last two years?
Hello i am a 21 year old female i have been having for two days a pain on the low right side just in the area of the liver excuse the lack of accuracy for i don't have that much of knowledge of scientific facts. and a fact to indicate is that this pain started just after i had my lunch even though it was a healthy lunch. what do u think is the cause of this pain (like someone is hitting me with a needle)?  i am sorry im posting it here but its necessary for me to know!
I have been dealing with pinworms on and off for 30 years.. I frst had them as a kid and now I still have issues with them.. I have found some information about Diatomaceous earth for the treatment of pinworms

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

scroll down to where it talks about parasites and DE ( Diatomaceous earth)

I started to get itchy again last night and I went out this morning and bought the OTC treatment until I can find food grade DE here and I will start taking it and let you all know how its working
Jojo:
You should see a doctor if this "needle like" pain persists.  It could be appendicitis or it could be gallbladder disease/stone.  Could be other things.  Good luck.
Like others, I am also very grateful for everyone on this website because this type of infection can make you feel so alone and so helpless/hopeless.  Maybe that is the problem:  no one is talking about it openly.  Maybe we are all infecting co-workers, classmates and then reinfecting ourselves from them?  Think of all the things you touch in a day and how often we put our fingers/pencils/food/stuff in our nose/mouth.  It's a wonder we all don't get sick more often.

My biggest question is:  how can you live in the same house with someone but they don't get pinworms?  What is it about them that prevents infection??  I've heard these things may increase susceptibility:  bloodtype, HCl deficiency, zinc deficiency, birth control pills, immune system.  I started taking zinc tablets and vitamins daily along with no sugar & high fiber diet, and Ojibwa tea. Some days are good, other days are depressing.  But I'm getting better!

Like others, I've read that the eggs are resistant to cleaning fluids, can become airborne and can live on surfaces for >16 weeks, not to mention indefinitely in the refrigerator and freezer.  As far as I can tell, only DIRECT sunlight (UV rays, not thru the window), and dry/hot conditions will kill the eggs.  So I use my laundry dryer -- sustained heat for 20 mins at least. Pillows, blankets, anything that will fit in there.  All other things (my purse, etc.) I put in my car and let it stay hot for at least one hour.  The vacuum cleaner just blows the eggs around I think, so I used the carpet cleaner for a couple of months instead.  

Now I feel like I've gotten control of every space in the house/office except the obvious areas (anus and vagina).  I shower 1-2x/day, wash bedding almost every day (but not less than every 3 days), cover furniture with sheets (easy to throw in washer or dryer), treat underwear like hazardous waste, wash hands constantly, etc.  Pay close attention to things you might miss:  hairbrushes, phones, toothbrushes (god forbid), keyboards, mattresses (use waterproof cover, wash regularly), bathtub, pets -- notice EVERYTHING you touch and assess the probability of eggs being present.

Bottomline:  this is something that must be fought over long periods of time once you get a bad infestation.  Doctors (in my experience) are NO HELP.  But the meds do help some people, so go to the doctor first.  Better that than suffering in silence and potentially infecting those around you and your entire environment to the point where it will be very difficult to fix.

I've done EVERYTHING by the book and live alone, so there is NO reason why I still have them.  I have had them for 10 months now and fought them hard in the last five months:  numerous rounds of PinX (even douched with it twice, not recommended), mebendozole, albendozole, herbal cleanses (Parasitin seemed to work, but it takes many weeks, and you must be persistent), Ojiwa tea (very good, drink it daily), castor oil internally (gives relief for a day or two, as does an alcohol hangover!), raw cabbage (pretty good, Edgar Cayce remedy),  Ointments: hydrocortizone cream, hand sanitizer (burns like hell, but gives relief for sleep), tape over anus.  Persistence.  

Try not to overly irritate the anus because it can lead to other problems.  Internal hemorroids can be caused by pinworms and the meds/wiping (I had them = intense itching!!). I do not see the worms anymore, but can feel the wiggling.  It only takes one to drive you insane!  But one is better than thousands.

I don't think they can live in the vagina long, but I could be wrong.  I read they can infest the appendix. This sac is a good place for them to hide and avoid any medicinal treatment within the colon.  They can live in the colon for five months.  Egg to adult takes about one month.  I'm not sure how long it takes the egg to hatch, but obviously you want to get rid of it ASAP. I know it takes body temp and ~moisture for them to hatch.  The worm itself is easy to kill with just about anything, but also I read that the early stage worm is difficult to kill with meds/herbals.

Again, I think it may be possible that MANY people have these things and either don't know it or can't get rid of them, and we are all reinfecting ourselves.  Possible?

BTW, I love the humor ("I will get immense satisfaction when I am cremated and watch them burn." "I'm thinking of naming them." "Move out of the house naked...").  I'm going to read the "Zinc Deficiency ... Parasitic Infections" research paper and get back to you.  I think there may be something to it.
JoJo,
After giving it some thought, the pain in your side near the liver could also be a tapeworm.  I had severe pain on the right side many years ago, went to several doctors and the ER.  I was told "see a psychiatrist," "it's just a pain in your side, here's some pain medication," "it's the flu," and "some infection, here's some antibiotic, go away."  

Five years later, the tapeworm came out my rear end because I had a hangover.  I took the worm piece that I pulled out to the doctor who was able to diagnose it (gee, ya think???) and give me the right meds, probably albendazole.  The pain had subsided by then, but the worm was still growing.  One dose got rid of it, I hope.  
Last night, I read the research paper that was referenced in this blog thread called "Zinc deficiency impairs immune responses against parasitic nematode infections at intestinal and systemic sites," Journal of Nutrition, by Scott and Koski, 1998.  It is an outstanding and well-written but highly technical paper in a well-respected scientific journal.

I learned the following:  
The research experiment evaluated parasitic infection (a type of roundworm was used, not pinworms specifically, but it is very similar), zinc deficiency and malnutrition ("energy restriction") using mice.  The paper also referenced several studies done on people with various types of intestinal parasites.  Some of these other studies evaluated kids in third world conditions who often suffer from malnutrition, and concurrently, zinc deficiency.  

The conclusions indicated that zinc deficiency and also (separately) malnutrition increases susceptibility of the host to the parasite, increases the maturation rate of the parasite, decreases the immune response to the foreign antigen (the worm), changes the mucosal thickening of the colon, depresses the production of eosinophils (which can be measured in blood tests and is generally decreased when you have a parasite/virus), increases the parasite survival rate, decreases the rate of epithilial cell formation (for repair and sloughing of colon mucosa layer which naturally helps to rid the gut of the parasite) and disrupts T-cell formation.

I think we can assume that many "well fed" people are also malnurished, not to mention zinc deficient.  If you eat a typical US diet, are obese, or if you have had parasites for a long time, you are highly likely to be malnurished.  Poor nourishment can make you hungry all the time and give you a big belly.  Parasites can decrease your appetite (pinworms did this to me, and I've been losing about a pound a month due in part to their taking nutrients from me).  However, I think some parasites can also increase your appetite, particularly for sugar or quick carbs.  Anyway, the point is that all of us here on this website are likely malnurished and zinc deficient.  Before I got the infestation, I remember feeling "run down" for several months prior.  

Zinc has been shown to decrease inhaled viral infection, so it makes sense that it would affect the colon mucosal layer also, which is where the worms reside until they are ready to lay eggs.  

So!  Let's all start taking zinc supplements and vitamins, and eat better. More fiber, no sugar, no white carbs, etc.  Supplements are somewhat inefficent at getting the vitamins where they need to go, so you will have to take extra zinc for a while before you may notice any improvement.  The time it takes will be dependent on how deficient you are and how large of a worm infestation you have.  It will also take time for your gut to heal, so give it time.  Take a multivitamin also.
...[continued] I also suggest that we all get some aerobic exercise.  This likely changes the pH of the blood, among other things, and will probably help with immunoresponse.  Ingesting probiotics is not a bad idea either.  Most yogurts have active cultures, but you can go for the more pricey products if you prefer.  The kind with fruit has a lot of sugar, so it's better if you get plain and add fruit.  

Eat raw cabbage on an empty stomach, as much as you can eat as often as you can.  You can use any kind of dressing on it.  Just eat it.  It's cheap and it will help.

Ojibwa tea bags cost about $3 for 30 bags at health food stores.  Get the kind that also has dandelion root, wormwood and red clover blossoms if you can.  "NOW" makes this kind, but the other kind is OK too.  Get the water real hot, let it steep for at least half an hour, then heat it again and let it steep longer.  Reuse the tea bag until the bag is used up and there's no more taste to it.  Drink a lot of it.  It WILL decrease the numbers of worms in your gut.  Drink it religiously every day as often as you want.  The slippery elm bark thickens and helps repair the colon lining and has been used for ages for intestinal parasites.  Wormwood too.  Dandelion root is a good colon/liver cleanser, and so is burdock root (which is one of the four main ingredients in Ojibwa tea).  

Someone asked if a dry cough is a symptom of pinworm infection.  The answer is yes, if you have other symptoms.  It is indicative of inhalation of pinworm eggs, which would mean you've got it bad and the eggs are everywhere, especially in your bedding which can release any eggs there if you fluff the sheets or move around much in bed and don't wash/dry the bedding very often.  The worms can't live in your lungs, but they may be able to hatch there if they get that far.  Most of the eggs will be caught in the mucosal lining of your throat and end up in your stomach, so don't worry that you have worms in your lungs.  You don't.  The cough is a reaction to irritation in your throat.  

About two months after the initial infection, I developed extreme lethargy to the point where I didn't have the energy to shower for days, didn't wash my clothes regularly, didn't eat well, didn't care at all.  This is also a symptom, and a really vicious one.  I also couldn't think straight, couldn't sleep well, sometimes felt nauseous and sometimes developed a slight headache (which is unusual for me).  I also had all the other symptoms, but it didn't occur to me that it was worms for about three months.

Another person asked if itchy nose and ears are a symptom.  The answer is yes, if you have other symptoms.  Again, this would mean you have them bad or that you have them on your fingers anyway.  The eggs get on your fingers and into your nose and ears and elsewhere.  At body temp with a little moisture, the eggs will hatch.  They won't live long in your ears, and the ones in your nose will end up in the stomach unless you blow your nose.  Unfortunately, one of their primary mechanisms is making you scratch, which puts them on your fingers which can put them in your mouth/stomach which is where they want to go.

I noticed eggs hatching on the backs of my knees because I got the eggs on my feet, then layed on the couch with my knees bent, then sometimes would straighten my legs which put the backs of my bare knees where my feet had been.  This caused extreme itching on the backs of my knees after about 30 mins to an hour.  I've also got the itching from underwear and other clothes that I washed but didn't dry THOROUGHLY, thus reinfecting myself from my own clothes.  

Also, clean your dresser drawers thoroughly, especially the pants and underwear drawers, physically removing all of the eggs (use disposable/washable rags once then wash them or use paper towels).  Moisten the rags/paper towels to keep the eggs from flying around.  Don't just move the eggs around, but physically remove them.  Most cleaning fluids do not kill the eggs.  You might try Enddust which might make the eggs cling to the rag.  

You must clean every surface that possibly has eggs on it, or leave them completely alone for more than 16 weeks, or heat it with sustained heat for more than 20 minutes, or put it directly in the sun for a while. I suspect that vacuum cleaners just blow the eggs around, even the ones with HEPA filters, but I could be wrong. Don't breathe when you load the dryer, change the sheets, change the vacuum bag, dust the house or handle contaminated clothes. One healthy worm can lay up to 18,000 eggs....

You won't be able to get rid of all of them.  Don't get paranoid.  Once you fix your immune system, it's likely that the rest of them will just run the course or you'll expel them with cabbage and tea!  You CAN do this!  

Couple other pieces of advice.  Continue to be a germ-o-phobe for at least a month after the symptoms disappear.  Washing your hands thoroughly for at least 40 seconds makes them red and raw, so I put castor oil in my hand lotion and put it on after my shower(s).  It makes a nice water barrier but isn't so sticky that the eggs would stick to my hands, and it lasts for a while through the day.  Clean your nails THOROUGHLY, brutally, and continually or cut them real short.  Don't eat with your bare hands unless they are very clean.  Clean the TV remote and phone often.  Assume that the people around you at work have them too, so clean up after them for things that you use too.  Not all the time, but just be aware.  Keep your fingers away from your nose and mouth unless they are very clean.

Persistence WILL win the day.  You can do this!
I have not tried Noxema as a topical, but that sounds like a good idea.  I've tried Neosporin (basically vaseline with zinc, some have antibiotics).  But this didn't always stop the worms or the itch, and it creates a slime that is difficult to clean off and probably contains eggs.  I mostly used a dilute solution of PinX as a topical wipe.  This seemed to work very well and it doesn't burn.  It will kill the worms but it will not kill the eggs.  Even a dead worm can contain viable eggs.

I bought some baby wipes to keep by the toilet designed to wipe away the eggs.  Don't assume you get all the eggs this way, but at least you can reduce the number.  

Hydrocortizone also worked for me as a topical ointment and it seemed to get rid of the internal hemorrhoids which also cause extreme itching even though you cannot see them.  I found the hemorrhoid when I pressed so hard (trying not to scratch that ITCH, but it was driving me insane!) that it burst like a blood blister.  I felt it pop and saw bright red blood on the toilet paper.  After that and after the hydrocortisone, the itch was not so bad and only occurred when the worms came out, usually between 4pm and 10pm.

Use cayenne in your food.  It's a great anti-inflammatory (Weird, right?  But it's true.)  I doubt the worms like it, and your gut needs some serious healing if you've had these worms for any length of time.

OK, that's enough of me for a while.  God bless you all, and thank you for the support you've given me just by posting your innermost thoughts here.  It helps to "talk" about it, doesn't it?  There's lots of good information here.  Be brave, be persistent!  You can do this!
BTW: Vicks Vapor rub is amazing!  Way better than Vasoline.  It has a nice cooling effect and I think the smell keeps the lil buggers away.  Last night I combined it with a fresh garlic cloves in the V and A and I slept like a baby.  I'm on day 10 right now~ seems to be calming down but I'm worried...I have laminate floors and an entire wall of windows~the dust build up in my place is crazy.  If these things fly then this might be a disaster!  ;(  I have one of those single washer/dryer units...It's having a hard time keeping up with all the laundry.  I received the DE in the mail yesterday and have both myself and my cat on it already and have dusted the house with it.  Will keep you posted.  
Vicks is a great idea, I never thought of that.  It's best not to irritate the area as much as possible.

Laminate floors would be easier to clean than rugs, I think.  Using a damp mop that is frequently rinsed out and the water changed should cut down the "disaster."  Dump the water outside in a sunny spot where you don't go.  It's probably not as bad as you may think.  Once you get a handle on the possible egg areas, you don't need to clean the floors/surfaces/pets constantly.  

Dust buildup can be caused by not emptying a vac bag often enough.  I tend to change the bag and filters frequently, but I hold my breath when I'm doing it (outside) and do it just before I take a shower.  Also it wouldn't hurt to change the furnace filter.

Pets do not harbor human pinworms, but may be carriers of other worms that can infect humans.  It would be better to use a dewormer if you're concerned.  The pinworm eggs can be on their fur tho.  Brush them outside and don't breathe, or wash them once in a while.  Wash the brush in hot water afterwards.

I wonder what the mechanism of eradication is for diatomaceous earth, but if it seems to help some people, it's worth a try.  DE is a crystalline substance, so I would think it might scratch your gut.  Kaolin would coat and soothe and is a similar substance (it's mostly clay actually, DE is like limestone -- the settled skeletons of little water creatures, also used in toothpaste).

Every once in a while I'll have a "flare up" after days of no symptoms, and I try to think back to a month ago -- often it coincides with fixing a broken belt on the vacuum cleaner (ew!) or other slip ups that occurred, or a time when I got particularly lazy.  Sometimes the flare ups occur just after I've had a very salty or sugary meal.  Flare ups can be explained by something I took that is causing them to want to get out -- more power to them!

I use the dryer to heat up bath towels, blankets, pillows, sheets covering the couch where I sit most of the time, shirts -- things that are not especially dirty, just a possibility that there are eggs.  Saves on laundry.  I don't particularly think that washing in hot water kills eggs as well as the heat from the dryer.  Nor do you need to use anything extra in the washer like pyrethrins (these are pesticides BTW).  You could potentially dry some on the clothesline (UV kills eggs), but I don't like to handle the wet clothes that much, and I would still put them in the dryer after the clothesline.  

I sometimes just use one sheet and a blanket folded over to sleep in, then put the whole thing in the dryer the next morning.  I have a queen bed and the laundry was ridiculous.  I also keep a second set of sheets on standby for during the week if I'm too exhausted to do more laundry that day, but had symptoms the night before.  I use only old towels or rags for towels now so I don't ruin my good towels.  

I also got rid of the small area rugs, especially in the bathroom.  If they couldn't be washed/dried, I put them in the sun all day (both sides) and put them away to be brought out after I'm done with these pinworms.  There will be a day....

Also, you might want to wash off everything in the medicine cabinet and even in the kitchen (cans, utensils, utensil drawers, vitamin bottles, ice cube trays, etc.).  Depends on how long you've had the pinworms as to whether you really want to go thru the trauma.  Just doing it once will give you some peace of mind.

Watch your cleaning tool.  A sponge may harbor the eggs you just washed off, which is why I usually use paper towels or something that doesn't have lots of holes/texture that the eggs can get trapped in.
Before taking any meds the most important thing is a colon cleanse.Diatomaceous earth will do this taken for 21 days and will probably kill all the worms anyway.after that take the meds I only have faith in Combantrin its cheap if ordered at
http://www.wormtreatment.com/dyn/283/Pinworms-and-Threadworms.html

Take 3 doses 2 weeks apart tasty chocolate squares.
I know dogs and cats don't directly give us pinworms but those eggs will be all over them.Just another thing to watch for.
I honestly think everyone in the house has got worms.They are smart they don't give everyone symptoms so you don't treat them.The person with no symptoms is probably the one who keeps reinfecting everyone else.Not saying I'm right but its just a thought.
try Pineapple as sole nutrition for three days.
I going to tell you all on how I got rid of my pin worms, and which I believe on how obtain them.

I work at a Greyhound race track. So I am around dirty dogs, and folks that don't wash their hands. That includes my coworkers, and the dog trainers I am around. Do animals get these things? No, but they can carry the eggs on their fur.

I kept my finger nails long, and I washed my hands often as much as could when I was at work. Before every meal, and after I used the bathroom. The reason why I kept my finger nails long was because I use my finger nails to pry things or to get a better grip on things.

For the past month of August 2011, I was using a special kind of tooth paste that required to be put on by the fingers. I am sure your guessing how I got them now, with my finger nails being long. I believe long finger nails are the culprit to getting these eggs into your body. You can wash your hands, but if you have long nails, I believe it makes it harder to still get rid of them.

I knew I had them because when I had a bowel movement and I went to wipe my rear-end after I finished my business, I saw the tiny thread worm, on the piece of toilet paper. I took the worm out of the toilet paper, (yes I know nasty) and placed on the bathroom sink next to me. I watched the worm, and noticed it died after 2 minutes.

After that, I went out and went to Wallgreen's, and bought the stuff I used as kid whenever I got these things. Reese's Pin Worm Medicine. Used it soon as I got home. Now keep in mind on what I did, because I did get reinfected. After I took the medicine, I cleaned all my clothes, and bedsheets, and comforters. Vacuum the floor, without any face protection. Open the blinds for a day, and that was it. The next day, (not 24hrs yet), I had another bowel movement. Took a dump, and saw 4 worms in my stool. After 42 hrs, I had no more worms in my stool.

Thus I went back to my old ways. Now 3 days ago after being 3 weeks free, guess what, "theirrrrr back", on the 21st of September. So what did I do this time?

Well I took the same medicine again. That night I had a meal of 3 cooked Garlic GLOBES. Not cloves, but globes. Yes the entire garlic, not just the sections. But I ate 3 of those and may I say. If that didn't get rid of them, it sure did get rid of my family. Garlic scented farts, can make nose hair burn, paint chip off the walls, and make your family run with their tail between their legs. I would eat 3 of these globes every other day, for 3 weeks. FYI, they make killer dutch ovens...LOL

Pet's were not allowed in the bedroom I slept.

Blinds remain open all day now, except at night. The eggs can't live from direct sunlight.  

Washed the bathroom, door nobs, parts of the doors I touch, the edge of the bed all with 70% rubbing alcohol, did all of this with a medical mask.

Kept my nails short as possible to where no substance could get under them. Now I keep them this way and I believe this is a bigger factor to getting these things.

Washed all my clothes, and bedsheets, and comforters again, all with a medical mask.

Slept in my room with a medical mask.

Now before I ate anything, or was going to make food, I washed my hands for 40 seconds. Before doing anything with food and afterwards.

When I used the bathroom, I would wipe the seat down with the 70% rubbing alcohol, and the little flipper. The thing you press to flush your waste down the toilet. I do this before and after using the toilet I would also wash my hands before I started my business, and after. Now if I had a bowel movement, I would do all the same steps, after I finish doing my business and wiping my self, I would wipe my crack, and anus with the 70% rubbing alcohol. Now this surely will make you wiggle, and it will burn, more like a warmth, for about a minute. The reason why I do this is because I believe some of the eggs from the pin worms come out from your stool, so when you wipe your self, your also spreading some of the eggs around anus again.

Before I would go to bed, or take a nap, I would wipe my anus and crack again with the 70% rubbing alcohol, then I would smear Vaseline on my anus and in between my crack. That way if the female pin worms came out to lay their eggs, they would die within the Vaseline by being smothered by it, and if any eggs were laid, they would be trapped in the Vaseline. So now what happens when I wake up from a deep sleep or a nap? Well I would go to the bathroom, wipe off the Vaseline with toilet paper, then I wipe my self with the 70% rubbing alcohol to kill any eggs left behind. After this, I would change my boxers.

10 days after taking the medicine for my pin worms, I would take another dose. And continue the garlic meals as well. I would do all of this for 3 weeks.

At work I started to wear plastic gloves all the time. People look at me weird and they always ask, "whats with the gloves", and I tell them, "don't want to catch anything" and they look at me like o.0....?

As if their butthole isn't infested with these things.

Now what can you do when you know your absolutely sure you no longer have these things anymore? Well it's simple. Keep those finger nails short. Wash before you use the bathroom, and after. Wash your hands before you eat a meal and afterwords. Wash your hands as often, think about all the things people touch through out the day. Money you receive back, salt and pepper shakers at a restaurant, silverware, door nobs, doors, etc.

Wash the bedsheets, and comforters, once a week. Keep the blinds open through out the day. Keep pets out of the bedrooms. Clean the toilet, and things people often touch every 2-3 days.

Now I think the major reason why most of you can't get rid of things has to do when you go to sleep. I think Vaseline helps most of all in all of this, everything else is little. By most of you rubbing clove oil or walnut oil, or something these worms don't like on your anus, your just keeping these things inside of you, no? So by keeping them inside of you, they are going to be more active not only through out the day even more, but also at night. These things can't live long inside of our bodies(due to their lifespan), that's why they lay eggs so often and in such quantity. So by you putting Vaseline on your anus and on your crack, your trapping any other eggs from reinfecting you and your family as well as others in the future.

Hopes this all helps
Hilarious post! I laughed out loud despite my despair. I am screwed - can't get My 3 year old to be still while dressing, or even keep clothes on. She is all over the place spreading worm eggs galore. I am very depressed- thought we would be taking a couple pills and that would take care of it. Thankful I'm not alone with my worms.
It's 12:30am and my five year old daughter is lying on the bathroom floor because every so often she awakens in pain. Today Is day two of knowing she has pinworms, and she has it bad. I think she may have had a mild infection for some time, because she has been itching her privates for a ling time. Now, when she yells because of the pain and discomfort, I can see several worms coming out. There are hundreds in her stool, but I don't know if that is a result of the prescription she took earlier today. She's pretty much having a repeat of last night, except my wife was home to deal with it. Last night she complained of it and went hysterical every few minutes (around her bedtime) and complained of itching and having to go to poop. Come to think if it, she was back and forth to the bathroom many times the night before that too. From what I've read on major infections, they can cause diarrhea and vaginal itching and increased/decreased hunger. She has been famished for the past few weeks. I just thought it was a growth spurt, but maybe it was these (insert strong profanity) pinworms. I am so angry at them because of the pain they are causing my little girl! And for all the pain everyone here has shared and endured for sometimes years on end! I was pretty shocked, to say the least, to read all the stories in here, and I've read every one, hoping someone would post a cure that worked. Did the people who found a cure just forget to come back and share what worked, or did they just give up in despair? My little girl is so tired that when I check her every few minutes for more, she barely complains. But there they are, almost every time. I tried using something called thieves (a blend of essential oils) directly on her anus. I knew it might be uncomfortable, but it's supposed to be some wonder worker for all your ailments. It broke my heart when she cried from this new pain, but I wanted to do something to keep them from coming out and bothering her. It seemed to work for a little while (I only put a tiny bit on), but they came back. Next I tried vicks