Gastroenterology Community
cat scan prep can upset stomach?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

cat scan prep can upset stomach?

I am needing to do a cat scan of the pelvis and abdomine.
they said I need to drink some contrast before hand and get an iodine injection.
My stomach is so upset already i am worried that this stuff will upset it more.
anyone had experience??
Hi there,I also been having chronic abdominal/stomach pain for 9 months.Within the 9 months I have had 6 catscans ,and not once did the drink upset my stomach or  make the pain any worse than it was. Drinking it with a straw helped me than just taking sips.Hope you start to feel better soon,
                   Stephanie
I am absolutely awful with medical beverages... I get so stressed I vomit at the thought of it because colonoscopy preps have traumatized me so much... that being said... the CT scan prep was absolutely handsdown the  easiest one I have ever had to do I didnt even gag. tastes like nothing. didnt upset my stomach.
Makita:
How could you have so many cat scans in 9 months?
For what?
pumpkin, how did you do with the iodine injection?
how long does the scan take?  I am having the pelvis and the abdomin (abdomen).
thanks to all.
Usually you have 3 hours to drink the contrast:  One bottle per hour hour.  Contrast solutions have improved greatly over the years, and they're even available in flavors like bananna and mixed berry.  I find it much easier to drink than the nasty colyte for a colonoscopy prep.  If you really think you won't be able to keep the contrast down, you might check with your doctor about an anti-nausea med to take while you drink the contrast.  Perhaps a phenergan suppository might work?  Also, I would keep the contrast in my freezer for an hour or so before drinking - makes it a bit easier to get down.

Since you are also having a pelvic scan, the technician will have to adminster the contrast rectally.  OK, I can hear you recoiling in horror already, but really, it isn't that bad.  They just have to make sure the contrast coats your entire system, and simply drinking it usually doesn't get it all the way down in the colon.  The enema is the very last thing they will do during your scan, and it is really very quick.  Try to remember the techs do this every single day and don't be embarrassed about it.  They will do their level best to suction out all the contrast before you get up from the table so you don't have to worry about a huge mess.  :-)

The entire scan will probably take no more than 10 minutes.  As with most things abdominal, the prep takes longer than the actual test!

The iodine injection doesn't hurt, but it does feel odd.  As it passes through your circulatory system, you will experience something similar to a big hot flash.  When it hits your bladder, you may feel the urge to urinate, but it only lasts maybe a minute or less.  I just deep breathe my way through it and it's over.

Please don't be afraid of having your CT scan done.  It really isn't that bad, and the info gained from it just might enable the docs to cure what ails you.
I had been in the hospital so many times within last 9 months for  severe abdominal pain, and 100lb weight loss they did catscans thinking it was gallstones or appendix,well oct'06 my appendix almost ruptured,had it out,still having problems/pain now with ovarian cyst's and possible endometriosis.
  Last time in hospital they wanted to do another catscan but I refused and opted for ultrasound because I'm concerned of over exposure to radiation now.That is alot of catscans in a short time!
     Hope you find an answer to your pain,keep me posted, Peace & Prayers!
                           Stephanie
the contrast makes you feel like you've peed your pants. You won't but it feels like you do. It made a friend of mine panic because she thought she peed