Gastroenterology Community
chronic gastritis and severe reflux for over a year....help!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 27 year old Canadian woman who has been living and working in Japan for the last 2 1/2 years.  For the last year and a half I've been having a lot of problems with gastritis and reflux and I can't seem to get rid of them.  I first noticed the symptoms last year when I felt a terrible burning in my stomach and had a lot of belching and heartburn after I ate.  I had an upper GI X-ray done and there wasn't anything wrong except for excess acid production.  I was given Zantac to take twice a day (75 mg at a time).  It seemed to help at first, but then a few months later the symptoms got worse.  I had an endoscopy done about 10 months ago and I was diagnosed with having gastris and some acid reflux. I was also tested for H-pylori at that time, and the results were negative. I was given famotidine (20 mg twice a day), but then when that didn't help I was given lansoprazole (30 mg after evening meal).  I took lansoprazole for about 6 months and it seemed to be helping, but in the last couple of months I noticed it wasn't nearly as effective as it had been at first.  The doctor changed my medication to omeprazole (20 mg twice a day), but I found it didn't help anymore than the lansoprazole.  In the last month or so, the symptoms have become very uncomfortable and distressing.  I'm continuing to take lansoprazole along with antacids the doctor recommended(Gaviscon and Maalox), but I still have trouble.  After every meal I have terrible burning pain in my stomach just below my ribs and I feel nauseous but never vomit.  Sometimes I have heartburn all day and my esophagus and throat feel really raw and painful from all the acid.  I am reduced to eating bananas and bread becasue any food with even a little acid or oil causes terrible discomfort. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night from the pain of reflux, and often the pain radiates up into my left shoulder. The doctor here told me that lansoprazole or omeprazole should have cleared things up, but I've been on the medication for more than 6 month and things are worse than ever. The doctor says my problems are caused by stress from my job and life in a foreign country, but I don't feel particularly stressed. I can't understand why none of this medication is helping me.  Can stress be a main cause of gastritis and reflux? Since the discomfort has been getting worse, I've started to worry that maybe I have a more serious condition like gastric cancer. My endoscopy was done about 10 months ago, but do you think I should have another one done? Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.  I'm so frustrated with this problem and I can hardly eat anything.  

Thank you!
Hmmm.. Sue..I posted something below you, and in doing alot of reasearch on my own troubles, I have come across many many Americans living in Japan with the same problems you describe.
It makes me wonder if its something in the food there?
Maybe you should think on that? Like maybe sushi? the rice? There has got to be something that American people are eating or drinkiing in Japan that is causing this.
I just find it interesting that there are so many Americans in Japan, complaining of this. Coincidence maybe? I don't know. But maybe you should look into it some how, some way.
or Canadians.. LOL sorry hun...
Sue,

I'm sorry to hear about your undiagnosed problems. Just want you to know that my wife and I are with you, as my wife has been experiencing undiagnosed gastric symptoms for over a year now. She had her gallbladder removed Aug 1998, was treated for H-Pylori in Dec 1998, had bile duct stones removed and a sphincterectomy in Jul 1999. Her weight has dropped from 140 to 116 since May 1999. The most persistent remaining symptoms are upper right-side pain, itching, reflux, fatigue, loss of appetite, and sleeplessness. Her GI still has no idea what her problem could be. Amazing. Isn't he the one who has been trained to diagnose and treat gastric disorders? Every test that he has ordered has been negative. We are nearing the end of the line as far as our expectations go. Hope things go better for you.
    Jack
Sue,
My 13 year son has suffered for chronic acid reflux for almost 2 years. Two weeks ago today, he had his 3rd endosopy. He also takes up to 80 mgs. of prilosec daily plus malanta. He was diagnosed after this last scope with Barrett's Esophagus, a
very uncommon condition for someone his age. We have to meet with his dr to discuss the treatment for this which will possibly be surgery. Maybe you should ask your dr. if you could possibly have this. Good luck.
I was battling major digestive problems for over a year.  I thought I was dying!  I recently was referred to Bio-Flora from an herbalist.  I've been using it for just a little over one week and I feel like I've been cured!!!  The Flora I bought cost me approx. $30.00, but it's worth every penny.   Go to a reliable nutrition store and get this stuff!  It's a miracle enzyme!  If you have any questions, feel free to email me at ***@****.
Are Prilosec and Prevacid the same drugs as you mentioned?
Yes, the drugs are the same.  Prevacid is lansoprazole and Prilosec is omeprazole.  The drugs have different brand names in Japan, so I was using the names of what the drugs contain.
I was reading about your chronic problem and find it hard to believe that with no medication help, that the Drs. aren't checking further for esophagial problems such as a weak LES muscle or for signs of Barrets Syndrome which I have after suffering for too many years with GERD. I am currently having a procedure done to help me called a Nissen Fundoplication, as I cannot take the medications, Prilosec and Prevacid without side effects, such as polyps in the esophagus from meds.
I had to have an EGD done for 5 years to monitor my Barrets and it should be done more frequently if you are suffering like you say you are.

I hope this helps you a little and you can e-mail me at ***@**** if you need to talk further.
Karen
dear sue,
I have been dealing with the same symptoms as yours for 6 months
it is driving me crazy some of the things i have tried is pepsid
gaviscon,tums, I also had a upper gi and was told it was normal.
for the longest time i thought it was my heart and I even was rushed to the hospital because i thought it was a heart attack thay did every test you could think of and found nothing I to can only eat bread if I want to be symptom free. I feel like I am at the end of my rope it really has had a effect on my life and I feel bad for others who suffer if you come across anything helpful please write good luck
Dear Sue,
We often evaluate patients who provide a similar history to yours.  The initial treatment and investigations includes H2-receptor antagonists, proton pump inhibitors and endoscopyto look for other causes for the symptoms.  If your endoscopy was carefully performed by an experienced endoscopist, it is very unlikely that you have developed a new condition.

In sutuations like yours, it is necessary to have a better understanding of the cause of the problem.  We would do an esophageal motility study and 24 hr pH probe tests to assess the frequency/duration of the esophageal reflux.  If there was still uncertainty regarding the cause of the symptoms, we would consider other possible etiologies e.g. gastroparesis, gall bladder problems, small intestinal pathology, infections.  the nature of the evaluation would depende on the history that we obtained.

Before your symptoms are labeled as 'stress-related' it is necessary to exclude all the likely treatable conditions.
Dear Sue

Consider your diet..And your life style. Look to your emmune system, you might consider more exercise. If you are not drinking water, In addition to your regular regimen, you might consider hyro - therapy and more exercise.  My research denotes our emmune system is the best for curing any disease. But it must be given time to work...I also suggest drugless therapy
as drugs according to research have side effects...Look for the cause of your condition...

I hope you feel better, all the best
Ahragon
Sue,
Your symptoms sound just like mine.  I have had recurrent "heartburn" for several years, but in the last 6 months has gotten increasingly worse.  Usually pain at nite which feels like a knife stabbing me directly in the middle of my abdomen and pain radiating up over the left shoulder, also around the sides and into my back; lots of gas too.  I thought it was "stress" and reflux.  I was taking Prevacid for about 5 weeks with minimal relief and went to a GI specialist.  After listening to my symptoms, he told me he thought it was biliary colic--related to gallstones.  He ordered some blood tests and an ultrasound of the gallbladder, liver and pancreas.  My liver enzymes went up after an attack and my ultrasound showed gallstones.  I am scheduled to have a laprascopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) tomorrow.  I was looking through anything on the internet gallbladder-related because I'm a little nervous.  But with my tests, it seems pretty clear what the problem is.  If you want to contact me, my email is ***@****
Good luck and I hope you feel better!
My oldest daughter has been treated for gastritis with prescription strength Zantac for one year, based on physical exam only.  That is, the doctor talked to her.  Without the Zantac, she cannot eat....I thought perhaps she had anorexia the doc's first impulse was diabetes because she lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.  At five foot two she had gotten to weigh only about 89 pounds....she complained that she wanted to eat but eating made her stomach hurt.  The Zantac was given as a trial and it did help.  She regained the weight she lost and more....to 112 pounds.  Every time we stop the Zantac she starts losing weight again....I'm going to have to start it again since her weight has dropped again from 112 to 103....she says she cannot eat.  She does not seem to have the typical behavior patterns of anorexia, and she claims she wants to eat.  When on the Zantac, she does eat!
She has never had any tests done, just the doctor talking with her.  Since she has had ot use the zantac long term, should she have some tests done on her stomach?  She has no other symptoms....just the pain with eating that causes her not to eat even when hungry....the tendency to lose weight when not on zantac, adn the improvement in symptoms while taking zantac.  What are your suggestions?
hi sue, i am sorry to say this but you seem to have joined that perrenial group of unfortunate sufferers around the world.(keep this in mind) WHAT WORKS FOR ME WILL NOT NECESSARILY WORK FOR YOU.Having suffered with gastro-intestinal problems since 1980 or there abouts i have noticed a few things.(1) the onset of my symtoms (symptoms) were and are always stress related.(2)i had to modify my diet during each course of treatment,which have included zantac, losec all types of antigas and antacids.(3)I only had to take the treatment for 4-6 weeks.(4)OH i have had peptic ulcer, gastro this gastro that you name it, included the dreaded ACID REFLUX.  THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY REAL CURE ONLY SUPPRESSION OF SYMTOMS (symptoms)
1) I TAKE GRAVOL 50MG FOR THE NAUSEA. IT WORKS.
2) I TAKE LOSEC FOR 4-6 WEEKS. IT WORKS. MG WILL VARY
3) I GO ON A BLAND VEGETARIAN DIET(NO MEAT) SMALL MEALS OF SOFT FRUIT AND VEGETABLES (PAPAYA,MANGO,PEAR(NO CITRUS)BOILED PUMKIN, IRISH POTATO,EGG WHITE(NO OIL,NO FAT)WHOLE WHEAT BREAD ONLY,AND GENERALLY ANY FOOD THAT MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE IN ANY WAY IS OUT. I ALSO TAKE PREPULSID TO ASSIST WITH PERISTALTIC MOVEMENT.SPICES AND NUTS ARE OUT AS WELL.AS WELL AS ANYTHING THAT TAKES MORE THAN THE USUAL 3-4 HOURS TO DIGEST. PLENTY OF REST AND I IDENTIFY THE SOURCE OF THE STRESS AND REMOVE OR MINIMISE IT. HAVE FAITH AND PRAY A LOT WHILE YOU EXERCISE AND PRACTICE WHATEVER RELAXATION TECHNIQUES YOU'R COMFORTABLE WITH.I ALSO FIND THAT ANXIETY INCREASES THE SYMTOMS (symptoms)  ALSO A FEW DAYS OF A LIQUID DIET ALWAYS HELP AT THE BEGINNING.IN THE ABSENCE OF SYMTOMS (symptoms) I GO ON A COURSE OF TREATMENT EVERY THREE TO FOUR MONTHS.DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR WHO KNOWS SOME OR ALL OF IT MAY HELP YOU LET ME KNOW. GOD BLESS. nove.d@batelnet .bs
I was diagnosed with moderate esophaegitis, mild gastritis in February 1999.  He put me on Prilosec 40mgs and said it should be cured in 6 weeks.  Well now after several months, the taste in my teeth and mouth is terrible.  If I don't chew gum it taste like putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue.  Is there anyone out there that could help?  I am very healthy otherwise, and do not have the classic symptoms like pain in the stomach or anything but the acid taste.  Please enail at ***@****
My husband suffered from the same problems for a long time.  The reflux was unbearable at night.  One of the many things we tried was raising the head of the bed.  Not by adding pillows but by actually raising the bed.  My husband used pieces of 2x4's.  He cut one piece about a foot long and another shorter one say six inches.  He nailed the shorter one on top and we placed these under the headboard on the bed.  In the beginning the headboard acutally had to be placed on the top of the top piece which really brought up the head of the bed.  After the reflux was reduced by about 90% we lowered it to the bottom board where it still is today.  I'm not saying this was easy.  It's a little uncomfortable to sleep on (actually pretty uncomfortable) in the beginning but you do get used to it.  And it really seems to have helped him.  Try it.  At least it isn't another thing taken internally so it can't hurt!
Watch those symptoms.  About 5 years ago I took my husband to the hospital thinking he might be having a heart attack and it turned out the pain was from the reflux.  Two years ago he was making a 3 hour drive home from Connecticut and thought he was having trouble with reflux.  He drank Maalox and chewed tums and rolaids and didn't tell me when he got home.  The following morning we had to rush him to the hospital with a heart attack.  He never had the pain in the left arm just what he thought was reflux.  So stay on top of it.
DEAR JACK'S WIFE, I READ YOUR HUSBAND'S LETTER ABOUT YOUR ILLNESS
AND I ALSO HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED. I GAVE BIRTH TO MY SON (9.5 LBS.} AND THE WEEKS FOLLOWING I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE, I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME! I HAD PAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CHEST,UNDER MY RIBS AND IT FELT LIKE LABOR ALL OVER AGAIN. SO 4 WEEKS TO THE DAY I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED. I FELT BETTER FOR THE FIRST 4-5 DAYS THEN IT STARTED ALL OVER AGAIN AND IT WAS WORSE,I HAD TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AT LEAST 10 TIMES A DAY AND IT WAS LIKE WATER NOT EVEN LOOSE STOOLS. I WAS NEVER ILL AS A CHILD, AND AT THE TIME WAS ONLY 24. I WENT TO MY DOCTOR AND HE SUGGESTED TRYING A DIET WITHOUT ANY DAIRY, DID NOT WORK! THEN I TRIED NUMEROUS DRUGS AND A FEW SEEMED TO WORK BUT ONLY FOR A SHORT TIME ( 4-5 DAYS}. THEN I WENT TO SEE A G.I.SPECIALIST.I FIRST HAD AN UPPER G.I. THEN A ENDOSCOPY AND FINALLY A COLONOSCOPY. ALL CAME BACK NORMAL EXCEPT HAD A SMALL POLOP REMOVED(NON-CANCEROUS.                                           IN BETWEEN ALL THESE TEST THEY HAD ME TRYING ALL THESE DRUGS PRILOSEC,ZANTAC,CIPROFLOXACIN,PREVALITE,LEVBID,FIBERCON,DICYCLOMINE AND I AM PROBABLY FORGETTING A FEW! I COULD NOT WORK AND HAD A NEWBORN TO TAKE CARE.MY WONDERFUL PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT DROPPED MY INSURANCE,I GUESS THAT IS WHAT I GET FOR BEING A LOYAL EMPLOYEE FOR 4 YEARS. AS SOON AS THE G.I.S. HEARD THE WORDS NO INSURANCE , I NEVER HEARD FROM HER AGAIN!! SO I WAS ON MY OWN !!
I WOULD WAKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WITH ACID IN MY THROAT AND FELT LIKE SOMEONE HAD A ROPE AROUND MY RIBS!! I WOULD DRINK ICE WATER THAT HELPED ALOT!!I FELT THE DOCTOR'S SOMETIMES DIDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS TELLING THEM BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG !! NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT WAS IN 1996 AND IT IS NOW 1999 ALMOST 2000 AND I HAVE TO SAY I FEEL 97% BETTER !!! I CAN ACTUALLY FUNCTION ON A DAILY BASIS. I HAD NO CURE FROM A DOCTOR. I FELT ILL FOR ABOUT 2- 2 1/2 YEARS IT WAS A VERY LONG TIME BUT I AM MUCH MUCH HAPPIER!! I CAN ENJOY MY SON WHO IS ALMOST 4 !!
I GUESS MY BODY HEALED IT SELF AS BEST IT COULD . I WISH I HAD RESEARCHED THE SURGERY BEFORE I HAD IT , BUT IT WAS AN EMERGENCY SURGERY I HAD MULTIPLE STONES THEY ALSO HAD TO REMOVE.
ALTHOUGH I FEEL BETTER I AM STILL WONDERING EXACTLY WHAT WAS WRONG , AND I RARELY HAVE AN EPISODE. IT SEEMS THIS IS A COMMON AFTER EFFECT OF THIS SURGERY BUT THEY DON'T TELL YOU THAT IT IS! I ALSO WANTED TO ADD MY OWN MOTHER HAD HER GALLBLADDER OUT AFTER HER FIRST CHILD AND THEY HAD A BAG ON HER SIDE REMOVING ALL THIS NASTY STUFF OUT OF HER STOMACH, IT WAS THERE FOR A LONG TIME (1-2 DAYS). I KNOW THIS WAS IN 1968 , BUT WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY THEY DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE ? DO THEY THINK THE BODY CAN HANDLE ALL THAT STUFF GOING THROUGH YOUR INTESTINES? OH! I FORGOT WE HAVE EVOLVED SO MUCH MORE SINCE 1968!! I BET THAT GARBAGE IS WHAT MADE ME ILL !! WELL I HOPE YOU GET A DIAGNOSIS AND SOME MEDICINE THAT MAKES YOU BETTER!!!! I WISH I HAD A COMPUTER BACK WHEN I WAS SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS !! I REALLY WISH YOU WELL! I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR BACK FROM YOU OR YOUR HUSBAND !! I AM STILL LOOKING FOR ANSWERS MYSELF
I have been suffering with alot of the same problems for over 9 monthes now.  Nausau upon wakening, some reflux, terrible heartburn every 3 days or so that lasts all day and a pain in my upper right quandrant that flucuates between severe and just a gnawing feeling. Have had too many tests to mention.  Had my gallbladder removed a few weeks ago.  Still feel the same.  Now my doctor is thinking maybe it's the sphincter of the oddi.  Does anyone have any information about this?  Any comments are truly apprectiated.  I am so discouraged and really feel bad about anyone else going through this.  
Also, Peggy, if you are reading this....tell me about this Bio-Flora.  Is that a supplement of good bacteria?  Did you have some of the symptoms I'm experiencing and how do you feel now??
I was diagnosed with severe esophageal reflux about 6 years ago. I had what is called the "Hill Repair", where  my doctor strengthened the stomach valve so that stomach fluids wouldn't back up into my esophagus.  It has helped a lot, but I do have to watch my weight, and eat smaller meals, etc., otherwise I go into coughing spasms.  Instead of Heartburn, I get a real itchy feeling at the bottom of my rib cage and to the left just a fraction,where the opening of my stomach meets the esophagus.  Then my whole esophagus gets itchy and inflamed and I cough for about an hour, until the itchy goes away.  I also experience terrible bouts of belching and flatulence.  This occurs every night and most every morning.  Does anyone else have the cough?  I know its quite rare, but I can't be the only one.  I can't tell if my esophagus is swollen or dry, constricted or expanded.  I haven't been back to the doctor, he's out of state.  All the other doctors really keep me going, but none of them has been able to help. Please email me at ***@**** if you have similar symptoms.
i was having severe migranes (migraines) for a few months.(i know, what's this got to do with stomachs)i was taking excedrine migraine all the time. sometimes i would take 6 pills a day.i noticed i had massive heartburn and reflux after i ate.i went in and got scoped a month or two ago.they found numerous ulcers in my stomach and esophagus.my doctor said it is most probably caused by something in the excedrine.is this possible?if so,why does this happen?
I don't know whether to feel happy or sad... there are so many of us with this undiagnosed problem. I also have the pain around the ribs, heartburn. I had my gall bladder removed at 19, but still often have "attacks" of what feels like gall bladder pain, but milder, under my ribs, going through to my back. Am taking 40 mg (20 mg 2X day), but still get heartburn. It was very bad recently and I almost went to emergency... but... you get tired of hearing that there's nothing wrong.

I am seeing a internist, who will refer me to a GI person. Wish me luck.
I am having the same as the rest of you.
My doctor gave me a prescription that is called: BENYTL, this has worked for me for several years as I go thru these stomach pains. I lost weight and got rid of my stress and the stomah pain went away for a couple of years, but guess what? I am having stomach,side, reflux again, but I am under a lots of stress again, so I am back on Benytl. helps the irratible bowel syndrome also. Use olive oil in cooking, also garlic, for that helps the bowels. Good Luck and God Bless to us all this Season!!
I am 46 years old and for fifteen years I have suffered from chronic reflux problems.I also have food and chemical intolerances which severely restrict my life. I would be interested to know if any other reflux sufferers gone on to develop these intolerance problems.
I suspect I developed these problems because my oesophagus and
stomach were constantly inflammed and this has damaged the
delicate lining.
I need to get information on Barrets' Esophagus cancer.  I need symtoms (symptoms), treatment, how to be tested etc.  My husband has been bothered with severe reflux for almost two years now.  He is being treated with medication, but has developed high blood pressure.  He has severe headaches, stabbing pains in his chest,dizziness besides the regular reflux.  I'm not sure if the blood pressure and other symtoms (symptoms) are related.  He also gets very red in the face and at times turns a greenish color around his temple. Do you think all of this is coming from the same source.
I had my first episode with reflux in 1992.  After trying several medications I saw a GI doctor who put a scope down to see what was happening.  I was 22 at the time.  He concluded I had gastritous and irritable bowel syndrome.  He prescribed pepcid and carafate.  My axiety level came down after this and thus I feel helped me get better.  But, now since Aug. 1999 I have had severe "attacks"  I have taken previcid, carafate and now aciphex (20mg a day).  I was once again at the specialist and he put a scope down me again.  Unfortunately, he feels a long with my reflux I have now contracted Barretts esophagus, I will get the biopsy back soon to confirm this.  I have been taking this aciphex for 3 days with no relief, and I actually feel worse than I did before my scope due to the anxiety level I am at.  This second episode I really feel like was brought on by stress.  Does anyone else out there have Barretts eshopagus?  What does this mean for me?  Will I suffer forever?  I am 30 now and can't imagine having to suffer the rest of my life.  I am also wondering if this can be cured?  Most of all I am scared to death of cancer!
In July after a bout with a pinched nerve, and being on my back during that time I developed HEART ATTACK symptoms! :) On the 18th of July I was given the diagnoises of esophigitis, gastritis and a hiatal hernia YEE HAW!! So starts the road to healing! I was completely niave I thought I was gonna take the PRILOSEC, CARAFATE and MAALOX and be cured over night,HELLO! As you can see I'm here and it's December! I need support!LOL:)
I don't want to say the meds arent working but "I THOUGHT" I was geeting a cure! HELLO AGAIN! No I dont live in denial everyday!LOL What I found out is that it can take up to a year for this to heal if not longer and because I worry well that explains it too! Stress is a BIG part of this! We have to learn how to use other things in our lives to reduce stress! We have to learn to relax! It's hard but I had to start stress management counseling and I'm only a housewife and mother of 2 elementary students! But I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse on top of the gas things! So remember stress and yes it does cause problems! It's hard to accept something like stress can make you really ill! Thanks,God Bless!

I HAVE DIABETES AND SUFFER WITH NEUROPATHY
(BURNING OF THE FEET)  THEY BURN ME SOMETHING
AWFUL WHEN I HAVE MY FEETUP IN A RECLINER OR
IF I AM WALKING  THEY DON'T BURN ONCE I GET
IN BED THEY BURN TO A POINT THAT I WANT TO
TAKE SOMETHING TO STOP THE BURNING PAIN
PLEASE SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Cindy,
Have you read my Q of 12-15-1999 and comments by others on BARRETT'S ESOPHAGUS? Send me your email addr if you want more info.
Yes, I too have similar problems.  I was diagnosed with GERD about three years ago after being to many ENTs who kept insisting it was my tonsils that were causing my pain and swelling the throat area, it turned out to be my espohagus.  I was put on Propulsid for 2-3 weeks and then took about one bottle of Prevacid (very expensive).  I was better for a while but now am having flare ups again.  I do not think my esophagus ever got back to normal.  Even the back of my throat is always red and irritated looking.  And now I have chemical sensitivities that can sometimes cause irritation in the throat area.  Some perfumes make my throat swell to the point where I think it is going to close.  I have seen an allergest(am getting allergy testing Friday) and seen a gastro specialist who I am also seeing again next month.  Sometimes it feels like something is stuck in my throat (like a hairball):) and other times it feels like someone is choking me.  Does anyone else have these symptoms.  

***@****
nerves an related anxitey,turn the body into the state you are in . no drug you are using now will help deal with anxity.
Like you others, I suffered a severe case of acid reflux from November 1998 through much of 1999. I am a runner, and the most severe symptoms occurred while running. I have completely reversed the condition by taking supplementary salt and by completely avoiding the use of basic food supplements and basic antacids. In other words, my acid reflux seemed to be a symptom of salt deficiency, and more specifically of chloride deficiency.

You can find more about my thoughts and experiences on this at
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~rmcotton/gerdsalt.htm
I AM HAVING A BERNSTEIN&A 24HR PH PROBE THIS WEEK TO SEE IF SURGERY WILL BE OF ANY HELP. I HAVE HAD CHRONICGASTRIC REFLUX 9 YRS. I HAVE HAD SCAR TISSUE REMOVER 3 OR 4 TIMES A YEAR. LET ME HEAR FROM ANYONE THAT HAS WENT THRU THESE TEST & WHAT TO EXPECT & IF THE SURGERY THEY ARE WANTING TO DO ON ME HELPS. THEY WILL PUT SOME KIND OF RING WHERE MY STOMACH IS ATTACHED TO MY ESP. I HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEM GETTING MY FOOD TO  GO DOWN & THE ACID IS GETTING WORSE. I AWAIT YOUR REPLY >>>. THANKS
Dear Sue,
I am a 42year old woman who has had burning in my upper stomach for the past five months.  I do not have acid reflux like you had mentioned but I have the burning and also some pain sometimes after eating a meal.  I am presently on Prilosec 20 mg two times a day.  I have been taking it for a month now and have noticed some improvement as far as the acid is concerned.  I notice that any kind of stress makes it worse and have tried to control any negative emotions so that it will help in healing this condition.  I will tell you that I developed this after I had ended a relationship and a job.  I worked for the person I was having a relationship with for three years.  This person also had two children so it was a stressful situation to be involved in.  I did not realize this until I was out of the situation.  The stress was cumulative.  It eventually did a number on me but it is slowly improving and I believe it will eventually be gone over time.  I think it is very much connected with your emotions.   You may want to take a good look at your life and what is going on with it. Try not to get discouraged.  You are not alone with your condition.  Maybe it has taken longer for it to heal because you were not given a strong enough medicine.  I should also mentioned that I went to a nutritionist who put be on a good multivitamin, B-12, B-6, B-complex, C and E.  I also take digestive enzymes after each meal and aloe vera gel orally.  You can get all of this at the health food store.  The aloe vera helps to heal the stomach.  I also have one-half of a lime squeezed into a glass of water in the morning before breakfast.  This helps balance the proper amount of hydrochloric  acid.  If you notice any improvement I would be hopeful.  It may just take some time to get better.  I found that I had to really get a handle on any anger or resentment I had for people. I hope I have been of some help to you.  I'd be interested in knowing how your doing.  Good Luck and Be Well!

Hi Sue.  I am a 38 year old at-home mom and just read your note and am suffering from the exact same thing you described.  I began having similar problems back in October '97 after taking antibiotics and was actually getting very sick to my stomach and began losing weight rapidly.  At that time I was put on an antispasmodic (Librax) and the doctor labeled me with irritable bowel syndrom (syndrome) but I continued to feel sick on and off too and had constant belching and heartburn.  For several weeks my diet consisted of bland food .. mostly bananas, rice and bread and by April '98 I had lost 40 pounds!  Finally my weight stabilized but I still had indigestion and suddenly in July '98 I began to have a terrible pain in my esophogus, was given an upper GI which didn't reveal anything, and was given Prilosec (20mg) which helped eventually but not entirely because I continued to have a lot of belching and heartburn.  By October '98 my prescription for Prilosec ran out and within a few days I was feeling very sick again and the pain returned in my esophogus so I was finally given an endescopy which revealed a hiatal hernia which they told me causes an acid reflux and gastritis (H-pylori was negative) so I was put back on the Prilosec and took it for an entire year along with the Librax .. but like you I have never felt entirely well and have constant belching and discomfort almost everyday.  I feel very frustrated and upset about the entire situation too and was told that once you get an attack of gastritis that it can become a chronic condition.  By August '99 my Prilosec ran out so I decided to just watch my diet and then in December '99 my new doctor insisted that I get off the Librax (antispasmodic) because it can become addictive so I slowly weened myself off of that and was was doing pretty good until January '00.  I not only had the usual daily belching and heartburn I've had for two years .. but also started to feel nauseas and had violent dry heaving episodes more and more frequently until I could actually taste the acid in my mouth just one week ago from today so I knew my stomach was inflamed again and I'm back on Prilosec.  All week I've only been able to eat very bland food items again (bananas, rice and bread) and it is very frustrating and depressing.  I don't know where to turn at times and feel I may develop gastric cancer eventually and it seems like no matter how careful I am I never feel that well.  In addition I started to have some problems female-wise too with monthly spotting and feel I may be perimenopausal at this point too .. although everyone says I am too young since the symptoms all began when I was age 37.  I feel perhaps it is all related and hope one day it will just disappear as fast as it all began but am not sure it ever will since nothing I do or take helps that much.  If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for me it would also be appreciated .. and hopefully Sue my note will at least give you some comfort that you are not suffering alone!
I recently posted a reply about my own experiences with the same problems most of you have described.  Just recently my husband found an article written by a woman in our area experiencing similar problems that we've all encountered and she discovered that she was MSG-sensitive.  Apparently MSG (monosodium glutamate) which is a flavor-enhancer is found in hundreds of food products and she discovered that she has become very sensitive to this additive and after eliminating it from her diet has been feeling much better.  The news article noted a web site -- www.nomsg.com -- and it may be worth checking into.  It may not be the culprit but again who really knows.  Her doctor's were unable to pinpoint the cause of her condition for years and she came upon this information herself and says she feels 20 years younger now that she found out what the culprit was.  Now she focuses her time and energy on helping others who may have the same problem so visit her website (www.nomsg.com) and maybe you'll find the answers in there!  Good luck everyone!  I'm going to give it a try too!!
I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A WAY THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THESE MEDICATIONS. PRILOSEC, ETC. FOR STRESS OR WHAT EVER ELSE THE PROBLEM MAY BE.
Do you smoke?  Smoking can increase the acid in the stomach, including stress.  If this isn't the factor, drugs can help the problem but not make it go away.  Have you seen a holistic medical advisor?  Perhaps you might want to try the health store for natural remedies.  I have also read recently about Americans having more gastic problems when they are in other countries.  Your body may be accustomed to the American way of food and built up a tolerance since childhood, eating foods in another country could have caused an allergic reaction to the body or it could be autoimmune.
It sounds to me like you may have a condition called GERD - Gastro Esophogial Reflux Disease. My mother had a surgery for this condidion. It is rare to have it so bad that it requires surgery, but it sounds like this is what you may need. Ask your doctor about this and try Prilosec. This is a more powerful antacid than what you have been given. It may relieve some of your symptoms. There are many sites on the internet about GERD. You should try to research them and talk to your Doctor.
I am 40 and developed the symptoms of nausea, ulcer-type pain between meals and at night,stomach soreness and bloating after eating on Dec. 6. My primary doctor said it was probably gastritis and put me on Axid 75 mg twice a day. After consuming a cornish hen for Christmas, symptoms became even worse. The doctor told me to stop the Axid. My abdominal ultrasound was normal. Blood tests were normal except the RBC's were 407 instead of 421.H. pylori was negative.  Since the primary did nothing else, I went to a gastroenterologist. He performed an endoscopy on 1-13 and found two stomach polyps and distal irritation of the esophagus and stomach. I began taking 2, then 3 and now 4 75 mg Zantac a day.  On a few days the symptoms seemed somewhat better during the day. I always get the gnawing ulcer pain in the middle of the night. I have -"relapsed" on 3 occasions after eating 1 piece of pizza, an under ripe pear and two hamburger patties made from ground sirloin.  By relapse, I mean the pain between meals returned and the odd , sore , bloated stomach after eating. I am also drinking 2 cups of chamomile tea per day and 1/4 c. aloe juice in the morning. My gastro doctor has now prescribed Prilosec if the Zantac don't seem to be helping.

Does gastritis take this long to heal in most people? How much longer can I expect to have it? Also, other than possibly being caused by Baycol, which I now quit taking, what could have caused this?  I never take NSAIDS. I take 50mcg levoxyl for hypothyroid, but if it's treated, you can't get pernicious anemia, can you?

Does anyone else out there  have similar symptoms?
Sue,

Lansoprazole has an interaction with Antacids.  this can reduce the effectivness of the drug.  You may wish to try another PPI
I have had a similar problem for about 6 months. A bland diet and 15mg. of Previcid seems to be helping. I have exactly the same symptoms and pain as you do. I believe stress is a major factor in controlling acid in your system. I hope this works --- i am on my third week of drugs and there seems to be some relief
especially at night I take 15mg right before bed.
I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THREW  I HAVE HAD SOME OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS FOR THE LAST 8 MOUTHS OR SO SOME OF MY SYMPTOMS ARE BELCHING OR GAS PRESURE IN STOMACH AREA SOMETIMES I FEEL A LUMP IN MY ESOPHAGITS I HADE A SCOPE IN OCT 1999 THEY SAID I HADE ACID REFLEX HIATUS HERIA BILIOUS GASTIC FLUID I ALSO HAD MANY OTHER TEST DONE OVER THE LAST 3OR4 MOUTHS THEY SAY IT COULD BE STRESS IAM ON SOME MEDICATION CALLED PREVACID 300 MG IT HELPS THE ACID REFLEX BUT IT IS NOT VERY HELPFULL FOR TREATING THE GASTRITIS I HAVE LOST ABOUT 10 POUDS  BECAUSE SOME DAYS I CAN NOT EAT SO IDRINK LOTS OF POWER DRINKS LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT MY EMAIL IS ***@**** IAM A 43YEARS OLD MALE
I empathize with you. I was just diagnoses with gastritis and i tried Tums, Mylanta, Zantac and then I was rushed to the emergency room because I felt as though I was going to have a stroke. They took an EKG, monitored my heart, and took blood and urine samples. Everything came out normal, so they gave me an IV of sodium chloride (Pepcid). As of now it seems to be working. In your case, I pray you dont have can and that you will soon find a remedy to your problem.
I have just been told that I have gastritis. Over the past year Ihave had pain below my rib cage. Plus naysea,vomting, Diarrhea, not much wanting to eat. I have notice a alot of gas pain to and bloating. I have had to go to the doctors many times. I am tried to this feeling. I will be going to the stomach specialist 4-13-00. I hope she can fine a way to keep this pain in control. I am taking prilosec,gas-X,gavsion.
I have had similar symptoms that you describe although with less severity.  Today I was given my first endoscopy; the diagnosis was mild gastritis and esophogitis.  My doctor prescribed 20mg. of Aciphex for 30 days plus one refill .  I understand that it takes 4 to 8 weeks to eliminate either of the diagnosis'.  The Dr. also took a biopsy to determine if Ive got the bacteria H.pylori.  Results in one week.  Re: your situation I would ask for a second endoscopy and any other test to determine the cause of your discomfort.  I saw recently of the Knowledge TV Channel that the world renowned Cooper Clinic in Dallas, TX has been studying the effectiveness of using MRI procedure to detect all kinds of diseases including early stage cancer.  According to the report the procedure is much more effective in diagnosing early stages of many diseases.  The two examples they gave happened to be cancer cases where the individuals had  no symptoms! Hope this helps. Good Luck.
I'm having the same exact problems.I've been having this problem for over 3 years and its not getting any better. I wish i could help you. please if you come up with solution to our problem let me know.
I have had similar symptoms for almost three years.  Along with the burning and acid reflux (I have been on Prilosec for a year and a half) I have pain in my stomach and a lot of gas.  I have had an endoscopy, upper GI, sigmoidoscopy and am scheduled for a colonoscopy in April.  I have some fairly good days and some which keep me home from work.  I have missed about 50 days of work in the last two years.  I really feel no better than when I first went to the doctor three years ago.  The only slight improvement has been a reduction of acid reflux.  It is depressing to be nauscious every day and also in pain most of the time.
Have u tried cayenne pepper pills or cayenne in water. Cayenne pepper will cure most anything. Even ulcers.
HI Sue,
    How are you feeling?  Are you still in pain?  Well I went through almost the same thing and I had this problem ever since I was 17 years old and now I am 20 years old and I just stopped having this problem a month ago. I went to doctors, took pills, I remember they put me on 200 pills for two weeks...that was the most terriable thing I had to go through.  I spent thousands of dollars and nothing helped, some doctors said that I was just fine and it was all in my head and it's all the stress at school.  About a month ago I wen to this old man in Kentuky (by the way I live in NJ, USA) and it was Spring Break, like all normals college students I was suppose to be at some resort having fun, but I was in pain and it would not go away.  My uncle knows this old man in Kentuky who gives you a thereputical kind of a massage and tells you what's wrong with you.  So first he asked me if I had ever been in any car accidents..I answered yes about three years ago when this whole thing started.  So he checked my spine first and said that I had a disc that popped out.  Then I layed down and he was pressing on my stomach and kind of massaging it and he was like you have an ulcer forming and if you don't get it treated then it will be as big as a lemon.  Then he said that my stomach was lowered and one of my instestents were inflaminated.  What he told me to do is to make this drink out of Congnac, Honey and Aloe juice.  I will have to e-mail you back and let you knwo how much of everything you have to put it and what oyu have to do with it.  But if you are intested in finding out please e-mail me at ***@**** and I will be happy to help you out.  I just have to wait till my mother comes home to ask her what to do.  And I will e-mail you back with it.  Let me know what is your e-mail address and I will do that for you.  It helped me so much and I am not in pain any more and I don't have to worry about will my stomach hurt or not and now I am just living liek a young adult should live...WITHOUT ANY PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.  Take care and God bless.  ELaine

How do you read the posts, I have the same symptoms with no relief...I am interested to see what others have said in response...Maryann
I take 1 gram of Colestid twice a day after meals
I had heartburn all the time also. I had a bunch of tests done and they came up with reflux,hiatal hernia and gastritis. They put me on previcid and it has been wonderful. No heartburn. But still bothered by severe uncomfortable pressure on my left side under my ribs. They have done almost every test and still have no solution.I am very upset over this and sometimes feel like a hypocondria but know better.
I often feel as if I am going to vomit but do not.  What is the name of this condition and why may I be feeling this way?
I sympathize with your condition, and I do think stress has a ton to do with any stomach conditions that are not easily diagnosed with tests.  

I have been suffering from some undiagonosed becoming-chronic colon cramping.  It is basically trapped gases that don't flow and because so cause this intense hardening of the colon.  I have to massage it out and it is not always effective.  When it's occurring in the center of my stomach, it must be pressing on my diaphram, because it feels uncomfortable and like I have to clear my throat (but it's the colon I want to clear).  Disgusting, all of it, but I'm now convinced after clean tests, that it is stress AND for some reason, I am hyperaware of that part of my body -- perhaps my nerves for that area are charging more often.  

I think beta-blockers would be good for must of the stress causing stomach problems....and I'm seeing another specialist tomorrow.....
Dear Sue
I found your letter whilst I was checking out a similar problem
that I have been diagnosed with (reflux esophaegitis).I have been taking prescribed medication for three years now (zoton). Which works very well.
It is a pump inhibitor, according to my GP. I have had an endoscopy which revealed damage to my esyphaegus caused by reflux.
The treatment only masks the symptons and does not fix the problem. Sress and wrong diet have been suggested as a possible cause for the problem. I tend to agree with that.
I have found that stress causes sudden flare ups and discomfort.
Fast food and that type of diet makes the situation worse.
Experience has proved that healthy eating, a little excercise and a little less wine can work wonders. Zoton assists when I need a little help.
My symptons have included severe prolonged heartburn, gas, pain in the chest, sleepness nights, constipation etc etc. It seems there is no cure at this stage.
I also have Bile reflux and acid reflux up into my throat. My throat swells up instantly when I get a spasm in my esophagus. Sometimes the spasm starts in my small intestine and travels up through my stomach and esophagus. The doctor says this is bile reflux from the small intestine.
I seem to have developed food and chemical sensitivities in my throat due to this. I had a severe allergic reaction to nuts and to a natural sweetener called stevia. I told the doctor about this but didn't get any reaction or feedback. Oh, well, I got some comfort from reading everyone else's messages here. I thought I was a hypochondriac but I see others have the same problem. I take Prilosec once a day, but I think I need to increase it.
My name is Tracey and I am 33 years old.  I have been suffering from Gastritis and delayed gastric emptying for three months.  The origin is inknown. I wanted you to know that I have been researching like crazy and have no answers either. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  Good Luck
I have very similar problems. The pain is in my lower abdomen and I have a lot of gas when it get severe.  I am a middle age woman not over weight and very active.  I don't feel over stressed.
I have tried alot of the over the counter drugs and prilosec which seemed to help for a little while but it would always come back after a week or so. This has been going on for years but on and off.

I have been on Prilosec for like 2 years or more
and I think it
is truly a wonder drug.
You should talk to your doctor it really works and I live
in Arizona and eat all the wrong really HOT spice food
drink way too much beer and I do mega caffine..

I have reflux and heyatal hernia get acid from rice and
water ...

Steve
Tempe AZ

Sue I have been on prilosic for 6 years and the last few months started to have episodes of very strong burping and gastritis.
It is as if I was taking nothing.  I was scoped 6 years ago and nothing showed up.  I am currently scheduled for a ultrasound of the gall bladder and an upper GI.  This is a miserable way to live never knowing what is going to bring on an episode.
my 4 year old son with autism has problems with a sore stomach I am sure that this is some sort of reflux as he still spills some of his food out of his mouth, then will double over. I have had doctors say it's only a tummy bug, yeah sure!!!!!!!!!. as my 3 year old had vert severe reflux that has spent numerous times in hospital with blood in his vomit. I can really relate to your ordeal.
I am a 63 old felmale and have benn on med for 30 years for'HEATBURN' Now nothing is working, I have had Laryngitis for 3 months. I hope you get  better.
I HAVE HAD GASTRIC PROBLEMS FOR OVER THREE YEARS.  I'M 28-YEARS OLD AND OFTEN FEEL LIKE AN OLD MAN.  I HAVE GONE TO SEVERAL DOCTORS AND THEY HAVE RUN NUMEROUS TESTS.  THEY ALL SAY ITS NOTHING.  AFTER, EVERY MEAL I HAVE SEVERE TRAPPED GAS, WHICH FOLLOWS ABOUT 2-3 HOURS WITH BELCHING.  I ALSO HAVE PAIN IN MY LEFT ARM AT TIMES.  I FEEL THAT THIS TRAPPED GAS PUTS PRESSURE ON MY HEART.  I HAVE GIVEN UP ON MEDICATION AND DOCTORS!!!!!
I have been having trouble with swallowing since March 2000.  Sometimes when I eat, I get this feeling as if the food is getting stuck somewhere along the line.  I also was having a pain under my breasts at times (this only happened about 3 times).  A visit to my doctor resulted in him prescribing Zantac.  After a while of still having problems with swallowing I went to the doctor again and was sent for a barium swallow.  The results came back as having reflux in the chest and my throat was normal.  Within the past few weeks, my swallowing hasn't been all that bad.  I still ocassionally get problems though.  I have tried to think if there is something that I did that might have started this whole thing as I had recently changed my diet to a healthier one and had begun to exercise on a stationary bike.  I don't know what to do next and to be honest, I'm afraid of getting any testing done.  I don't know whether this helps any but I had tried for a while (after consulting the doctor) taking over-the-counter allergy sinus pills because I felt congested in my chest area.  I got the feeling that it was helping but really don't know if it was.  I'm wondering if I could have allergies and not be aware of it as I have a family history of allergies.  I don't think that the Zantac is doing anything at all as I do not feel I have acid reflux.  I have not once had that bitter, acidy taste nor does it feel like acid (which I have had quite a few times when eating tomato based foods).  Would be interested in anyone's opinion on this.  Thanks!
My husband has had bouts with acid reflux from time to time and we are great believers on herbal medicine have you tried any herbs?  Garlic is good. Chlorophyll and aloe vera juice has know to heal ulcers in your stomach.  It wouldnt hurt to try it. Stress will attack your mind and your mind goes to the path of least resistance which is usually your stomach,mind and/or your heart. Stress will produce just as much acid as food will. You might be under stress and not even know it. Good Luck and God bless.  Please let me know how you are doing at ***@****
Hello, I saw your posting. I have Gastritis and Acid Reflux as well...All started a year ago, when I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis...supposibly the medications I was on have caused the gastritis and nothing seems to be working....I'm in tough shape too, and was wondering if your improving and if so, what did you do?
I'm on Prevacid, Asacol and just got off of Prednisone...
i dont have acid reflux.. got that cast iron stomach ..but have had a  lot of pain under left rib like it was broke or something.. did the ultrasound and they said gastiris... BUT!!!.... i have been under alot of pressure and stress lately.. just recently started a new job feeling better... been treated with prilosec and simithicon..gastrtix40 miligrams a day  over the counter ... also found more natural fiber seems to help .. sitting hurts me alot  at times and forget trying to lie down and get comfortable...like a constant pressure that doesnt go away ...  i have been checking into h pylori on net to see if i have symtom\s of that .. i think i do but we will just see... trust me .. i started a job after being laid off for 4 months ..(when problems started) and the last 2 days i feel better... also gained about 20 # since i have been off... and i dont need the extra middle!  so maybe stress does have something to do with it? not sure... i usually strive on stress at work (being a chef) but not when it comes to home life!  maybe together we can all work this **** out?   good luck mary ann   rabitdid68 @aol.com take care
Dear Sue

I am not a Doctor but am suffering with gastritis as well.  It's awful and I too feel nausea every day.  I have had the same tests and medication as yourself with no real improvement.  However why I am writing is because about 15 years ago I had my gallbladder removed and my symptoms were similar to yours.  Have you been checked for this?

Hopefully you are cured by now as you posted you memo last October.

From Dawn
***@****
HELLO...  I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY ADVICE THAT I COULD GIVE YOU OVER YOUR SITUATION.  I WAS HOPING THAT MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME LEARN A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT GASTRITIS.  MY BOYFRIEND CLAIMS TO HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS THAT YOU HAVE.  HE HAS GONE MANY TIMES TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM IN MEXICO DUE TO HIS CONDITION.  THE DOCTORS IN MEXICO THAT ATTENDED HIM SEEM TO have BEen CONFUSED ABOUT THE SITUATION.  SOME DOCTORS SAY THAT IT CAN'T BE CURED, OTHERS SAY THAT IF HE HAS AN OPERATION DONE THAT IT COULD GET WORSE (HE WOULD HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY EVERY 2 YEARS OR SO).  HE HAS COME TO THE UNITED STATES TO GET BETTER HELP.  HE HAS GONE TO THE HOSPITAL TWICE AND THEY GIVE HIM A MEDICATION THAT USUALLY ONLY WORKS FOR A WHILE AND EVENTUALLY THE SYMPTOMS COME BACK.  DO YOU KNOW IF HIS CONDITION COULD BE PASSED ON TO OTHERS THROUGH ANY SORT OF CONTACT.  I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE WITH THAT COMMENT, PLEASE DON'T GET OFFENDED.  I LOVE HIM DEARLY AND WISH THE BEST FOR HIM.  IS THERE ANY ADVICE YOU COULD GIVE ME ABOUT HIS CONDITION.  I AM PRETTY SURE BOTH OF YOU HAVE THE SAME CONDITION.  ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE REGARDING THIS SITUATION WOULD BE A GREAT HELP AND WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  I WISH YOU THE BEST FOR YOU AND MY BOYFRIEND... HOPEFULLY YOU WILL FIND A CURE BECAUSE NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS.  TAKE CARE AND I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.  

PLEASE WRITE BACK TO ME AT THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
***@****
To everyone that medication does not work on I would very much recomend having the Nisson surgury. I had it in '98 and have not had heartburn since. They don't have to open you up anymore just five little holes and back to work in about a month. If you have Barrett's the real danger is cancer so get checked at least once a year for the beginning sings

Good luck to all
I HAVE A LOT OF THE SAME SYMTOMS (symptoms) YOU HAVE. I AM FRUSTRATED AT MY CLINICAL DIAGONSIS OF GASTRITIS. ZANTAC HAS NOT HELPED MUCH, AND KNOW I'VE GONE HERBAL WITH SLIPERRY ELM TABS, IT HELPED FOR A WHILE BUT I FELT VERY BLOATED TODAY ,WHICH MAKES ME FEEL VERY BAD AND UNFOCOUSED ,IT HARD TO EXPLAIN ,BUT I'M TIRED OF FEELING LIKE THIS.

PLEASE CALL,
MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER
I was up at 3:00 in the morning trying to find some information on upper right side pain under the ribs.  I had this same pain a couple of weeks ago and it went away.  I dismissed it as gas, but, here it is again and I was just a little worried.  After reading all of your comments, I believe it is related to either gas or reflux.  Does yours hurt more when you lie down?  Mine seems too.  Also, when I inhale deeply, sometimes I get a sharp pain associated with it.  Thanks.

Todd

Todd
My daughter has been suffering from chronic reflux for four years.  This past October she started vomiting on a daily basis.  No medication has helped to stop the vomiting.  Their thinking of placing a picc line to give her stomach a rest.  If that don't work she'll have a j-tube placed for an undetermined amount of time.
Can you tell me if you have a bad case of halitosis?
I am having the same problem and I know that it is causing an odor. Nothing I do seems to help! and I have tried it all!!

Can anyone out there help?

Thanks.
I also have gastris, and it seems no medication is working and the symptoms are getting worse. I would love to feel better and not suffering from massive heartburn. Is there a MIRACLE Drug?
Dear Canadian Woman:

I would suggest the following changes in your food habits. Hopefully it should help you:

1. Avoid tea or coffee or chocolates or sweets or any alcoholic beverages - i.e., any thing that will produce acid,
2. Eat only freshly cooked food as far as possible. No two and three day left overs please,
3. As far as possible eat vegetarian food - they are easy on the digestive system,
4. Try to include a cup of butter milk/ bowl of yogurt after food,
5. Drink two table spoons of Ayurevedic medicine (ancient and time proven - i.e., 6000 year old Indian medicine) Jeerakadirishtam diluted with one cup of boiled and cooled water after dinner.

good luck

Please understand that I am saying this as service to a fellow human being. Please no law suits if the above does not work.
Dear Canadian Woman:

good luck

Hey there Sue... with all the new cases of hepatitis C and that being one of the common complaints of alot of patients (gastro problems).. you may want to just ask your doc for a hep c antibody test. It is missed often in regular testing for years before people find out they have it. It can't hurt to get tested.. i think everyone w/ any risk factor should.
good Luck whatever the result.
Hello. I am a 28 year old teacher. About a year and a half ago I got really sick for over a month. I had really bad lower abdominal pains. I couldn't eat and I  lost over 12 Lbs. I was out of work for the whole month. I was really weak and the only thing I could do was lay around and go to different doctors to try to find out what was wrong. After having numerous tests done such as blood tests, glucose tolereance test, x-rays, CT scans, sigmoidoscopy nothing was really found. They did say that they thought it could be stress related and recommended me to go to a therapist. I did for a couple of months and I got rid of a lot of stressors in my life. They tried putting me on a couple different medications to try to relax the lower GI Tract, especially at night so that I could sleep. After a year and a half I still do not fill myself. I still have lower stomach pain in the morning, before bed time and after I eat. Sometimes during the day I get really shakey (shaky) and light-headed I fill like I might pass out or vomit. I get so weak that I fill like I can't even lift my arms up. I have since gained back the weight and are able to eat more things, but I still feel horrible. I guess I am just getting more used to living with the pain. I don't know what to do and would welcome any suggestions. Every time I go to the doctor they never really do anything. Help
Hello. I am a 28 year old teacher. About a year and a half ago I got really sick for over a month. I had really bad lower abdominal pains. I couldn't eat and I  lost over 12 Lbs. I was out of work for the whole month. I was really weak and the only thing I could do was lay around and go to different doctors to try to find out what was wrong. After having numerous tests done such as blood tests, glucose tolereance test, x-rays, CT scans, sigmoidoscopy nothing was really found. They did say that they thought it could be stress related and recommended me to go to a therapist. I did for a couple of months and I got rid of a lot of stressors in my life. They tried putting me on a couple different medications to try to relax the lower GI Tract, especially at night so that I could sleep. After a year and a half I still do not fill myself. I still have lower stomach pain in the morning, before bed time and after I eat. Sometimes during the day I get really shakey (shaky) and light-headed I fill like I might pass out or vomit. I get so weak that I fill like I can't even lift my arms up. Also. I burp constantly even if I am drinking just water. I can feel and hear the gas in my lower stomach all the time. I have since gained back the weight and are able to eat more things, but I still feel horrible. I guess I am just getting more used to living with the pain. I don't know what to do and would welcome any suggestions. Every time I go to the doctor they never really do anything. Help
i am having severe burning in my chest almost every day now. it started a couple of months ago when i thought i was having a heart attack. i think that a lifestyle change may solve my problem, such as stop smoking and eliminate alcohol, fatty foods, and late-night food. if this doesnt help, i will see the doctor and try to get some medication.
Sue,
My sister had  identical symptoms as yourself for months.  She lost weight,had severe gastitis, felt sick to her stomach-especially after eating, no energy whatsoever, constant burning in her stomach, etc. She was on acid pills and nausau pills. (she too never vomited-but felt like it) The only thing they could confirm was that her stomach was inflamed and had alot of acid.  She had all possible tests, as you, that showed nothing.  Finally after exhausting all efforts, her Dr. put her on a strong anti-biotic that kills bacteria.  Keep in mind that she previously had the test for H-Pyloria (ulcer causing bacteria which was negative.)   This anti-biotic called Humatin I believe did the trick!!!  We think she may have either picked it up scuba diving in South America, or it could have been anywhere.  She now is still on the acid pills only as she still has gastritis from all she went through, but only for another couple of weeks.  All it took was about three weeks of the Humatin!  She feels herself again.  If you want more info, I will respond.  Good Luck.  I would not wish anyone to go through what my sister went through or what you are going through.
Sue,
For the past year and a half my doctor thought what I had was allergies because my symptoms were felt a lot in my head and throat and ears.  I didn't believe I had allergies but I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  Well, two months ago I developed what I thought was arthritis in my chest and it turned out to be the big red sign that finally got me diagnosed with acid reflux.  I tried Tagamet but it didn't help at all.  Then I was put on Protonix and it didn't help much really and I even got worse on it.  Of course, by this time I was stressing out pretty bad over the whole thing because I had heard about acid reflux causing cancer, and I was deeply afraid that because I had gone a year with this condition that I could have a severe problem by now. I think the stress of that alone really worsened my problem.  My reflux got way worse after medication failed and my doctor admitted he didn't know what was wrong and I would have to see a gastroenterologist. Well, I had a month to wait for my endoscopy, and I was so afraid.  But I think being afraid like this caused me to stop caring so much, and I started praying alot, just trusting God to help me.  I am still not completely cured, but I think there is much to be said about reducing stress and trying not to worry about it.  Sometimes when I let myself worry, my symptoms get bad again even when it seems I am healing.  By the way, the endoscopy showed I have bile gastritis and so far we don't know what's causing it, but at the time of the endoscopy it was mostly healed.  I am still taking Carafate and Protonix, and I sleep alot and pray alot and try my best not to worry.  I think that because stomach problems are so painful and frightening it is hard not to worry, but fear does cause changes in the stomach, like getting "butterflies", and so maybe prolonged worrying could contribute to the severity of the symptoms. I hope all of you will find relief from your conditions soon, and I will keep you in my prayers.
For the past year and a half my doctor thought what I had was allergies because my symptoms were felt a lot in my head and throat and ears.  I didn't believe I had allergies but I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  Well, two months ago I developed what I thought was arthritis in my chest and it turned out to be the big red sign that finally got me diagnosed with acid reflux.  I tried Tagamet but it didn't help at all.  Then I was put on Protonix and it didn't help much really and I even got worse on it.  Of course, by this time I was stressing out pretty bad over the whole thing because I had heard about acid reflux causing cancer, and I was deeply afraid that because I had gone a year with this condition that I could have a severe problem by now. I think the stress of that alone really worsened my problem.  My reflux got way worse after medication failed and my doctor admitted he didn't know what was wrong and I would have to see a gastroenterologist. Well, I had a month to wait for my endoscopy, and I was so afraid.  But I think being afraid like this caused me to stop caring so much, and I started praying alot, just trusting God to help me.  I am still not completely cured, but I think there is much to be said about reducing stress and trying not to worry about it.  Sometimes when I let myself worry, my symptoms get bad again even when it seems I am healing.  By the way, the endoscopy showed I have bile gastritis and so far we don't know what's causing it, but at the time of the endoscopy it was mostly healed.  I am still taking Carafate and Protonix, and I sleep alot and pray alot and try my best not to worry. I hope all of you will find relief from your conditions soon, and I will keep you in my prayers.
For the past year and a half my doctor thought what I had was allergies because my symptoms were felt a lot in my head,throat and ears.  Well, two months ago I developed pain in my chest and it turned out I have acid reflux.  I tried Tagamet but it didn't help.  Then I was put on Protonix and it didn't help much, and I even got worse on it.  My reflux got worse after medication failed and my doctor admitted he didn't know what was wrong and I would have to see a gastro-enterologist. Well, I had a month to wait for my endoscopy, and I was so afraid.  But being afraid like this I started praying alot, just trusting God to help me.  I am still not completely cured, but I think there is much to be said about reducing stress and trying not to worry about it.  Sometimes when I let myself worry, my symptoms get bad again even when it seems I am healing. By the way, the endoscopy showed I have bile gastritis and so far we don't know what's causing it, but at the time of the endoscopy it was mostly healed.  I am still taking Carafate and Protonix, and I sleep alot, pray alot and try my best not to worry. I hope all of you will find relief from your conditions soon, and I will keep you in my prayers.

I don't know how to began, this is my first time visiting this site,and i could not believe how many of you suffer from the same symptomy that i'm suffering, i was shocked to learn that even young girl have this kind of problem.
let me tell you my story, but before i began to tell you my story i want to mention this to you as i'm reading your comments i came across one letter i believe that it was from nikki, and she was saying that she was having cest pain week arm, and she end up in the ER many times and be tested for hart attack.
Well let me tell you my now i'm 50 year old woman and for many years i have suffered adominol pain on the left lo quadrom with simptomy traveling to the vaginal area it felt like stabing or bug bites. So i began to see doctors in 1987 excetly 13 year go well i went from doctor to doctor and no results i was send for test anything you can think of nothing showed, frustration began after ultrasound,urodinamic,xray cat scan, xray with contrast, nothing showed more frustration the pain was unberable, well my doc sugested laporascopy so we schedule that and when he went in he find out that i had endomitriosis. Felt better for a while and then back to square one, i went back to my doc and we began with more test nothing showed  back to suffering with acid reflex bloding stomach well the last test on MRI nothing showed well i could not take anymore the pain, me and my doctor decide to go for hysterathomy done by laporascope, when he began the surgery i began to loose to much blood he could not stop the bleeding  imediately my doctor had no choice to cut me open to find that one of the artery was bleeding havily finally they stoped the bleeding and went on with surgery it was successeful surgery. after i recuperate i felt better. six months went by and problem began again back to my doctor more test again with ultrasound nothing well to abreviated the story after the last test transvaginal ultrasound they found a diverticulires on the huretra so i had to go for another surgery since i was having problem with bladder i did blader suspension at the same time every think went well after i began to recuperate i began to have the same problem again adominal (abdominal) pain in the low left quadrom i felt that i had something in there the size of golf ball it began to ichy back to the doctor this time they have mix diagnosis they don't know what it is they feel the mass on the left side but they cannot figure this out who's telling me irritble bowel syndrome , spasam intesine , fistula, cyst,but nobady as come up with solution yet,! now what as hapening i began to gain weight from 130 to 160lb now back to 145lb and i bouce back and for in the mean time my stomach is blodding when i eat i pass out for 2 hours i feel that i want to throw up but never could i feel very sick i had few time rush to ER with irregular hart beat and they ketp me over nighth they give me a sleeping pill and many other good stuff following a stress test in the morning witch it came out normal the next morning. In the mean time the night before the nitreclicerin helped me slow down the hart beat but the next day they send me home since THE TEST WAS NORMAL SINCE then i have seen few more doctor and no conclusion of what could be i cannot eat or drink coffe' choccolate, anything with caffeine i cannot eat no left over food it  as to be made fresh by me no restaurant food but before i eat i have to make sure that i thake a pill that i have request  my self to the doc called Lorazepam 0.5 mg i take that before meal it seams to help to relax the intestine and help my digestion. but there is one problem some times i stop this medication not to get use to and the problem began my believe is if there is a bartolin cyst between the colon and the bladder, and empty's out maybe once a month this poison goes throw  my blod stream in the mean time it's cousing me a major problem in my intestine since it may be closed inn between two organ the colon and the bladderand it may be dificult for the study to showed. my raccomandation to all of you out there is go you your doctor told him you need on xray with contrast of you admon the test is called fluriscent xray and see what show up in the mean time eat little and lite, and no mc donald or burg king food cook home cooking meal no fry , bake only boil it's also good steam your food lots of boil escarole it's good for you if you're especially constipated, and finally i would like to give you a sugestion when you feel blodding after your meal  take 1 to 2 cups water put one  bay leave in it and boil for 3 minutes take out the bay leave put sugar in the water and drink it like a tea it should relive you from blooding stomach, acid, Gas, you will see the difference.
sorry if i wrote so much this is my first time so forgive me , if you want to e-mail me please do so to ***@****

and one more thing i appoligize for my english it's not the best, but i still try
A related discussion, Reflux and Nissen Fundoplication was started.
A related discussion, GASTRITIS??!!?? was started.
A related discussion, Heartburn - Prilosec - 0meprozal was started.
Hey sue

I have been hospitalized in bangalore manipal past two weeks wtout any diagnosis.have a hsitory of pancreatitis but ths time tats nt the case.severe gastritis.upper abdomen pain.epigastric region an pain is accompanied by nausea and an urge to throw up.after lots of diagnosis thoh its not final doctors are suuggesting eosinophilic enteritis.it might be a food allergy of some sort.everyone told me its stress but I wasn't particularly stressing either.let me know if it helps.some sorta rare food allergy.on my bad days I can't eat a thng.good days I ve been eating mashed potatoes n boiled rice.good luck.wil try keep you updated
Hello Peggy, where can I find the flora. ***@****