Gastroenterology Community
chronic stomach issues for over a month

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

chronic stomach issues for over a month

I have had chronic diarrhea for over a month now. Everything I eat comes out of me. I have had 4-5 loose stools/diarrhea everyday now and do not know what to do. Went to my doc and she did stool sample to check parasites, bacteria, etc and all came back normal. Earlier this year I had an upper endoscopy done to check for possible celiac, because I had positive blood test, and that was even normal. The chronic diarrhea is totally new and I want to know what anyone thinks I should do. I do not eat gluten though and haven't for over 6 months. Was on nystatin for a while for possible candida, but never had issues on it. I have stopped everything, even iron for anemia to see if it helps and it does not. Did a blan, blan diet for 4 days and it helped a little. Any ideas?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The best diet (at least temporarily) for diarrhea is the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).  Also make sure you are drinking more than usual for the diarrhea.  Have you seen a GI doctor about this?
If the blood test for celiac was positive, despite the fact that the biopsy came back negative, you're probably celiac. There are far too many people who end up being told by their docs that they don't have celiac when the biopsies are negative. That's unfortunate, because the biopsy isn't always correct and those individuals continue to suffer.

Have you cut ALL wheat, rye, barley and oats out of your diet? And have you made sure that there is none of those products in anything you're eating - hidden gluten? Gluten can also be used to coat rice for fortification with vitamins. And it's found in a lot of other things that people don't think about.

If you want to double check on the blood test, consider checking with enterolab.com and doing the fecal antibody test and the allele (gene) test. Those tests picked up my husband's celiac when everything else said nada - including the doc. We changed his diet and it changed his life. Also consider checking for casein cross-reactivity. Many celiac's do cross-react. This is also an autoimmune issue - not just an allergy type of issue and it can continue the diarrhea.
I tend to disagree with you on this.  Biopsies are way way more effective and accurate than the blood test.  There are many cases of false positives on the blood test.  A biopsy could be negative when the person has celiac disease has not been eating very much gluten before the endoscopy was performed.  However, there are gluten sensitivities which mimic the symptoms of celiac disease but it is a sensitivities/intolerance as opposed to an allergy.  I tend to think that there is no reason to go chasing down tons of blood tests for celiac disease when you can easily try a gluten free diet and see if it helps.  I found the celiac diet (and I did it 100%) for 2 months not bad at all, and I was doing that as a lactose intolerant vegetarian too.  Sadly, it didn't help my problems.
It's good to have a number of opinions on this. However, I have seen this happen in medical practice a number of times. It's worth spending a few dollars to find out whether or not the biopsies are correct. Biopsies are not the 'do all and end all.' The fecal antibody test (since the IgA may not immediately go systemic - despite all the current theory on how the immune system works) and the allele (genetic) test may be more sensitive and specific than the biopsy any day. Carry the major genes, or one major and one minor? If there are symptoms and even if that 'gold standard biopsy' is negative there are going to be issues somewhere along the line. Spending a few extra dollars on a fecal antibody test and allele test - even when the 'gold standard biopsy' is negative - could stave off wierd symptoms resembling MS, brain dysfunction, peripheral neuropathy etc. that are often seen with 'silent celiac' or 'adult onset celiac' that is showing up more often these days.

Furthermore, there are celiacs who do not unfortunately respond to the diet. So just trying the diet may not give a true answer, despite the fact that it is what I often suggest people try.
So, I had the upper endoscopy done and a genetic test that said no celiac. They did say that I am probably just sensitive, like an allergy. When I ate gluten though, I had more of the gassy/bloating thing going on. I have never really experienced diarreha except on a very rare occasion. I am doing a very blan diet and it does not work. For like 4 days I really cut everything out and it only got a little better. I really do not eat any gluten, even my shampoo is gluten free. I am more thinking, maybe a new auto-immune. I already have Hashimotos. I see a gastro doc on Friday. Just hoping it is nothing real bad!!
I had a positive IGG test in my blood. It really does explain a lot that I was gluten sensitive. This is just really throwing me off and I have no idea why this is happening!!
What did you end up having that caused issues for you? I am very good at gluten free, but I am having new issues for the last month. I see a gastro doc on Friday, do you suggest any tests I should ask to be ran? I am a little freaked out, my stomach does not stop turning. I have anywhere from 5-6 loose, watery stools all day. It starts in the morning and does not stop. It is getting worse too regardless what I do.
I would say that 4 days is not enough to try out the diet for.  I would say to give it 2 months.  The genetic test for celiac disease only increases your risk for celiac disease, it doesn't make you have celiac disease.  I have gastroparesis and an intestinal motility disorder from autonomic dysfunction.  The only test you might want to think about is a colonoscopy.
The diet I did was a candida, lactose, gluten free diet for 4 days. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. I am trying to eliminate foods that might be causing stomach issues. Like I sadi before though, I have never had this before the last month. Overall, I eat pretty good and avoid gluten. I already have an autoimmune disorder, so who knows maybe it could be another one. I will ask for further testing on Friday...Thanks!
So trying gluten free for 4 days (or just avoiding most gluten but not avoiding 100% of all gluten) will not show you whether or not you have a gluten sensitivity.  You need to try it for a lot longer and avoid every single little bit of gluten.  I've been vegetarian and lactose-free for years and years and I did that plus 100% gluten free for 2 months and it does take some getting used to but it can be done.  I forget, are you seeing a GI doctor or just your primary care physician?
No, I have been totally gluten free for 6 months (completely)! I was lactose, candida free for a few days. Anyways, I will let a doc check me out. Thanks for your help! I see a GI doc too.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood.  That's good that you were able to do that for that long.  Good luck with your doctor appointments.
Have you tried doing a lactose free diet too?