Gastroenterology Community
colon resection

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colon resection

I had a colon resection just a little over 3 months ago. I am recovering well, except for pain when I over eat. The biggest problem I have is that I have some pretty extreme pain during intimacy. Is this normal and why does this happen.

This discussion is related to pain after colon resection.
Hi.  I had a colon resection in Jan 08.  By 3 months, I was still having a lot of pain ( I am a big baby about pain).  They took out 7 inches of my sigmoid colon due to multiple episodes of diverticulitis that were not going away after being on different antibiotics.  My surgeon told me it takes about 6 months to "forget you had the surgery".  Well in my case, it was a lot longer.  I am not a doc, but I think that it is pretty soon for you and feel that having pain after 3 months is normal.
I had 18 inches of my colon removed on Jan. 7, 2011 and still have a lot of pain at the site of reconnection on the lower left side of my abdomin (abdomen). I figured something was wrong and that I should be past the pain by now, but by everthing I have been reading it sounds like we are not alone in this. I don't like taking addictive type drugs so I have just been "dealing with it". I was told to expect it to take 8 more weeks after my staples came out to be fully recovered. If it wasn't for the mound of medical bill that I have aquired for this over the past 3 months I would be running back to the doctor for answers.