Gastroenterology Community
colon surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colon surgery

I have been sick for two weeks with my Fibro. My neurologist states that my colon is not working which means the nutrition from my food and my B12 shots are not getting into my blood stream. I am getting weaker and more tired as time goes on. My blood levels are showing no nutrients in my system even though I eat a strict healthy diet. No red meat, smoothies with coconut milk and fruit. He is suggesting that my Gastro Dr. remove my colon. Does this sound right? I'm waiting to speak with my gastro dr. tomorrow.
Diane, I'm a bit confused. It's the small intestine that breaks down and absorbs the nutrients. The major function of the colon is to extract the majority of the fluids that are passed through to it, and to 'compact' the 'feft-over' food substances into a stool to be passed out of the body. So I don't understand why your doc is suggesting removal of your colon. The colon is typically removed for reasons such as non-functioning and 'back-up' of fecal material; inflammatory states such as ulcerative colitis, etc.

What was your specific diagnosis?
I probably didn't explain it well. He said that my colon is non-functioning and is stopping my body from getting the nutrients it needs. So what your saying correct. I've had Ulcerative colitis on and off for years. Every 6 months I have to have a Colonoscopy and they always have to remove polps. My Dad died from Colon Cancer. Does that make more sense?
Non functioning colon.
Diane, you may want to check posts by Morecambe and Mammo. Both either have had their colon removed, or know someone who has had their colon removed. Both can give you very sound advice if you should consider having it done. Make sure you have ALL the tests done before you consider going through the procedure.

I believe there are some fairly recent posts by ng, who just had her colon removed.
The post to which CalGal refers can be found at:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Do please come back if yyou have any questions

regards
Morecambe

Thank you very much. I have since had another colonoscopy and they removed polps and I have severe Diverticulitis at one end of the large intestine and Ulcerative Colitis at the other. I am on two antibiotics and go next week to discuss IV Med's next. I have a great Dr. now and we are working on a plan to try and get this under control before any surgery is discussed again. Thanks so much for your advice and support.