Gastroenterology Community
colonic inertia

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colonic inertia

any one had surgery for this..they remove the colon and reconect the small bowel to the rectum..I have had trouble with sever constipation and extreme pain for many years and have deoleated all my other options. three surgeons advised this surgery..would like some feed back from anyone who has had this..I will probably get the surgery done mid february. any input would be helpful. thanks judy

Hi - I underwent a total colectomy almost five years ago.  However the cause was torrential diverticular bleeding.  In response to another Medhelp patient's question, I described my experience on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

You may like to print this off and show it to your surgeon in order to check whether (broadly) it is what he/she would expect you to experience.

Please have a look at the posting and do feel free to revert (either via this forum or, if you wish, via the Medhelp email link)

Good luck
Morecambe
Hi Judy - just another couple of thoughts - try to have the operation performed at a hospital with a dedicated G.I. team where they are carrying out several total colectomies per day/week rather than several per year.  I don't live in America but I believe that the Mayo Clinics G.I. Departments are "leading edge" in this respect.

Also it may be possible to perform this operation laparascopically rather than "invasively/surgeon's hands inside you".  Ask the surgeon about the pros and cons.

regards
Morecambe
Avatar n tn
thank you for your input. I found an excellent surgeon in mommouth nj and I also spoke to one of his patients that had the exact surgery for the same reason. it will be a sub-total colectomy. The hospital has the most updated tests to determine this type of surgery. I feel reassured that I am in the right place with the right doctor. He has an excellent reputation and a good surgical team. I am sceduled for feb 26.  will try to keep you updated how things go after..thanks  judy
This is my story...
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/Undiagnosed-Digestive-Issues/show/1739309?personal_page_id=2196886

So had a special doctor visit after hours with some of the staff (gi specialist and colon surgeon) at a hospital I have been having all these tests done at. They talked to me about all the results and all that I have told them and they feel I have 2 issues going on

1.) Colonic inertia = constipation/slow transit
2.) SIBO/IBS

they told me that the only way to be sure if the large intestine is working is to do a temporary ileostomy for about 4 - 6 weeks. Test the waters and see if I feel better without use of the large intestine. If I do then we know the large intestine is to blame and they can remove it. They told me that they would remove the jpouch and the large intestine and then connect my small intestine to my rectum.

Did anyone else go through this before having their large intestine removed. It means 2 surgeries for me.
.