Gastroenterology Community
colonoscopy pending

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

colonoscopy pending

hi i am a 27 year old female that has noticed mucous in my stools for the past 8 mths. when i drink an alcoholic beverage my stools become loose and i feel nauseated. my doctor wishes that i get a colonoscopy but i suffer from extreme anxiety and am so terrified of this procedure that i cant even find the appropriate words to describe my fear. i was wondering if for this it would be best for me to go under general anesthesia and not be conscious throughout this procedure as the thought of that calms my axieties? and also do you think it is a necesary procedure for me to have considering my bloods came back normal and my doctor hasn't even taken a stool sample?
your response would be greatly appreciated
I don't think you need a colonoscopy yet.  You should get a stool sample first.  For me, I have had general anesthesia and sedation, and I remember nothing of the procedure for both of them.  Some people remember the procedure and others remember nothing.  The colonoscopy is not as bad as you would think.  The worst part of the colonoscopy by far (and almost everyone would agree) is the prep to get you cleaned out the day before.
Hi there

Same problem my wife is facing, but its important first to test your stool and get blood tested, if any bacteria found get it treated, if anything changes then get colnoscopy.