colostomy reversal pain - possible relapse?
I had a colostomy performed on Oct 6th due to diverticulitis and a perforated bowel.  The reversal was performed on Dec 12th and so far seemed successful.  I did find the second surgery to be more painful and still dealing with a little soreness.  My question is about a recent development of pain starting yesterday that feels a lot like the symptoms I had before going into the hospital for the first surgery.  A slight case of constipation and a sharper pain in the middle of my stomach area.  Pressing on the area causes more pain and it feels like my stomach is a little swollen.  The reversal was about a 7-8 hour procedure due to a lot of bleeding and legians (sp?) that had to be removed.  At this point the pain is very manageable but because it is similar in nature to the original symptoms I don't want anything to develop.
I'm worried that a relapse is possible?  Is this a cause for concern?  I won't be able to see my doctor for two days.  Should I be going to an ER?
Call your doc. It's possible that the resection could be closing down a bit during the healing process and you need to have it ballooned. You're right in being concerned, but don't panic. However if you start to run a fever, then do go to the ER.
Not a Doc but it sounds like the pain of another inflammed diverticulum that has developed.  Keep a blend diet going, slow down on the food, increase water.  I take Ionic Fizz (a magnesium supplement) to help my bowels stay soft and helps me relax to sleep.  Contact your GI Doc and let them know too.  I had one develop after my first operation.  During a colonoscopy  the Doc saw the new pouch and told me to stay on the bland diet so it did not become infected.  I have found the reversal to be going the same way as you but am only 2 wks post-op.  and feeling the pain!
I had a piece of my sigmoid colon removed due to a perforated diverticuli on Aug. 9th, 2010. The surgeon promised to reverse it 10 weeks later. I have no money or insurance. His office will not even talk to me without money or insurance. I went back in the hospital with a skin infection due to the adhesive. They put me on antibiotics and kept me in there for a week but refused to reverse it without funding. I applied for a grant more than 3 months ago and since then its been nothing but red tape and no answers. What can i do?  ***********@**********.***
Please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.