Gastroenterology Community
constant burps and persistent sharp pain below right breast

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi all!
Hope someone can advise.
After four days, I am continuning to experience an unusual combination of pain, burping and sleepless nights!
Firstly, I have a permenant pain just under my right breast (it feels like it runs along the gap between the ribs there) and it gets so severe during the night that I can't sleep.  It is usually much better during the day, but if I move in a certain way, the pàin makes me gasp for breath.  At night, I usually sleep on my left side, but I can only cope with this now for a few minutes as it feels as though the weight of my right arm is "crushing" whatever is in my ribs, likewise if I lie on my right.  I have to resort to sleeping on my back and have even noticed that if I try to turn to one side or even move a leg, it seems to "pull" at my ribs and causes emmense pain.  On top of this, I have the constant need to burp, and although it feels like I have trapped wind and that the burping will help, it never seems to stop the pain.  Also, my right arm feels weaker than normal and the is a dull ache between the shoulder to the elbow.  I also feel like I have "butterflies" in my stomach at time, but perhaps that is me worrying about the rest?!  I have taken ibuprofen, tried gaviscon and drank coke / lemonade, which all help at the time, but as soon as they wear off, it is back to pain & belches and sleepless nights :-(
Any help gratefully received.
Thank you
I forgot to add that I'm a 32 year old female.  I have a healthy diet, walk twice a day (every day) and don't usually have any complaints at all :)
Sounds like it could be gallbladder disease symptoms.  Make an appointment with your doctor to find out.
Cheers sickboy61,

I went to the docs and typically was feeling much better.  Turns out I had somehow damaged one of the upper rib joints and that was causing the burping reflex and of course the pain.  Not sure quite what I did or when to cause the damage but feeling fine and dandy since!

Thanks for your advice and keep well ;-)