Gastroenterology Community
constant gnawing pain below sternum and burping

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had constant ganwing discomfort below the sternum area, I would say its about two inches below it the area where if you were punched it would leave a dull ache discomfort.  I burp alot more than i used to.  I have taken lots and lots of pain killers like ibrubrofen etc and wondered if this has caused a problem.  It is really uncomfortable.  I have taken tablets to reduce stomach acid but its still there.  I sometimes feel quite nauseas and constantly full.   I am 37 years old and relativley quite healthy.  I am a very very anxious person and worry all the time.

What i do know is this is not in my head and the discomfort gnawing pain is really getting me down.  I am due to have an endoscopy tomorrow morning and was hoping for a reply today so I could be reassured. Do I have an ulcer, do I have gerd, do I have an inflamed Esophogus Sorry if spelt wrong) or do i have cancer.  I am so scared.  I have five children and it must be affecting thm as i am so moody worrying about it.  There is no blood in my stools, I have had Liver function test and also ca125 test and all is ok.  Please please please please advice as this is muchly appreciatedc. XXXXXXXXXXX from England
Tags: scared
I was wondering how your endoscopy went? I have an appt. with an ENT for some of the same symptoms and was just wondering if you found out what might be causing them? Thank you and my children have been affected by my issues as well (I also have five). They are tired of mommy not being able to do the things she used to do. I have been having breathing issues with this as well and it all started around the same time, about six months ago. I pray for everyone dealing with this or anything else for that matter, as it is terrible.............Anyway, I hope you have your answers and that they are easy to take care of.........:-) from America
Oh my, how weird coz mine started 6 months ago.  I had my endoscopy and it showed up I had a small hiatus hernia.  Do you feel full up all the time and i also had breathing problems, it was not like i could not breath, coz i could but more of did not feel like i could take a deep breath.

I am so relieved now I have had it checked out.  I was in a state for months thinking it was cancer and even though I read so many similar symptoms that were not cancer I was convinced that it could be nothing else.  Now that I am calmer and relaxed I am amazed at just how many other possibilities that my symptoms did relate too that were nothing to do with cancer.  So i think what I am saying is please please do not worry as the chances of it being something sinistar is remote and to go and get it checked out.

I will pray for you and think of you and please keep me updated.  You will be fine. XXXXXX
yes, my breathing is more of trying to take the deeper breaths and being out of breath so easily, even when just talking. Also, my sternum area is sore, like I've worked the area too much or something. I also have weird sensations that rise up, like being on a roller coaster when it does a sudden drop and takes your breath away. That happens during really bad stress. Thank you for the support and soothing advice. I have an ENT appt. on the 3rd and a gastro appt. on the 13th. I just want to feel normal again. I also feel like I have a lot of trapped gas and when I move my body certain ways it releases and I burp. I have the full feeling that comes and goes as well. Sometimes I will be really hungry, but then only be able to take a few bites before I feel full.
hya, just wondered how you go on at the docs.  Good news i hope.  Keep me posted.  Take care xxxx
Im having similar problems im 16 and i play football, i am having trouble breathing and it feels as though only half of my lungs are working. At first i thought i just caught a bad cold because i was coughing alot. But now my sternum is frequently in pain and i burp 10x more than i usually do, when i burp i feel a sharp pain in my sternum. Im in the best shape ive ever been in but still i run out of breath during practice very easily. Some of my symptoms would be if i blow out for long enough; by the time I start running out of breath the air coming out of my mouth makes a wheezing almost crackling noise, the kind of noise someone dieing of lung cancer would make when breathing. I do smoke weed alot but i dont think that its because of that... maybe its because i ate dinner alot faster than i normally do a few nights ago because i was in a rush.
im also coughing up alot of phlegm
wow this is amazing. i feel out of breath sometime when talking and i have this annoying fullness like a ball below my sternum and feel the neet to burn all the time.. i also get the same symptom where you feellike your on a rolercoaster and it takes your breath away.. i am glad i have came across this i have a appointment tomoro at the doctors it has been worrieing me but i feelabit better reading this