Gastroenterology Community
constant nausia

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

constant nausia

I'm 34, my boyfriend was just diagnosed with h piluri.  My question is, could he have given this to me?  Is it contagious?  I have been constantly nausious and throwing up for the past few weeks.  I have no appetite, and when I do try to eat, I can only eat very small amounts.  I have constant heartburn, especially at night.  Did he pass this to me and if he did what do I need to do?  Can I get rid of it?
From National Digestive Diseases
Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) site -

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/#4

"How is H. pylori spread?
Researchers are not certain how H. pylori is transmitted, although they think it may be spread through contaminated food or water. People may pick up the bacterium from food that has not been washed well or cooked properly or from drinking water that has come from an unclean source.

Points to Remember
A peptic ulcer is a sore in the lining of the stomach or duodenum.
Most peptic ulcers are caused by H. pylori. Use of NSAIDs—such as aspirin and ibuprofen—is another common cause.
Neither stress nor spicy food causes ulcers. Smoking or drinking alcohol, however, each can worsen ulcers and prevent their healing.
The abdominal discomfort of peptic ulcers
– feels like a dull or burning pain
– occurs when the stomach is empty—between meals or during the night
– may be briefly relieved by eating food, in the case of duodenal ulcers, or by taking antacids, in both types of peptic ulcers
– lasts for minutes to hours
– comes and goes for several days or weeks
A combination of antibiotics and acid-reducing medicines is the most effective treatment for H. pylori-induced peptic ulcers.
Testing after treatment is needed to be sure the H. pylori infection is gone.
To help prevent an H. pylori infection, people should
– wash their hands after using the bathroom and before eating
– eat properly prepared food
– drink water from a clean, safe source
Other research is exploring how infection spreads from an infected person to an uninfected person. Studies suggest that having contact with the stool or vomit of an infected person can spread H. pylori infection. And H. pylori has been found in the saliva of some infected people, which means infection could be spread through direct contact with saliva."