constant rectal bleeding & severe pain
We have a long time friend, Michael 38, who has a big problem but is too stubborn to ask.  He has had rectal bleeding for a couple of years.  Enough bleeding to where he can soak a pair of pants.  Was told it is red blood.  He is 6' 2" and has gone from 264# to 183# in less than 2 years.  He is an alcoholic, heavy smoker & has epilepsy since childhood.  (Sadly he has to drink 2-3 beers if he feels a seizure coming on.  Even more sad is that it works for him.)  He can soak in a tub & the pain eases.  As far as I know he is not anemic.  He has used Prep H to some relief but it always returns.  He described the pain to be worse than a "Charlie Horse" in the calf.  He is struggling & has no insurance so he is afraid to see a Dr.  Do you know what it might be?  What do you suggest I tell him without having to drag him by the hair to the ER?

Rectal bleeding is never normal and medical advice should always be sought.  Type in rectal bleeding to google/yahoo etc to find out causes etc and thus become better informed for his (hopefully) forthcoming medical consultation.  You will see that causes can range from minor (anal fissure, haemorrhoids etc) right through to colon cancer.

One of my Wife's uncles delayed seeking medical advice for rectal bleeding although the symptoms were plain for all to see.  When he eventually sought medical advice the doctor said "...if only you would have come to see us sooner....".  He died about a year later from colon cancer.

How to put it more dramatically:-

well, some people jump off the Empire State Building and some people ignore rectal bleeding......

Hope that this helps to catalyse Michael to do the obvious

regards
Morecambe
Morecambe said it best!!!