Gastroenterology Community
constipation after colon resection surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My husband had 12" of sigmoid colon removed/resectioned 6 weeks ago due to a malignant tumor.  He is lucky that it was only stage I and needs no other treatment, but he is very constipated.  The surgeon told him to take Citrucel and more fiber in his diet as well as drink a lot of water.  It's not working.  He started taking some Miralax, which did help, but then caused him to run to the bathroom all day!  Is this something that will get better as time goes by?
Thanks so much for any help with his problem!

Normally after a partial colectomy, the patients experiences more liquid/more frequent motions rather than constipation.  Keep trying a high fibre diet (lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to which organic bran has been added). And drink~2 litres of water per day.

regards
Morecambe
I had a colon resection in July.  The first month I went a lot, but since then I've had severe constipation.  I've tried all kinds of fiber & I think sometimes it's been bulking me too much.  My dr said I can take Miralax for longer than 7 days (which is what the duration it says on the bottle) safely.  I had the same effect, though, which was that I constantly felt I had to go.  I almost think I have some scar tissue which is causing a blockage.  I called my dr today and found out she fell & will be out for awhile.  I may switch to another dr in the practice.  I thought after 6 months I would be back to normal.  Maybe I'm the exception.
How did it work out? I'm 7 weeks and I'm in the bathroom a lot with not much coming out. I also feel very consipated other times when I get "string" like movements. Also in AM I get a clear jelly like movement. I alos use the term" never trust a fart"
I am 3 weeks out of a 12 inch sigmoid resection with no bag.
From what I'm reading here I am doing amazingly well.
I am pretty active now and walk and drive probably more than I should.
I am taking fiber and drink plenty of fluids.
I was initially constipated for three days but I feel great now.
I think the painkillers are a problem with constipation. I have not taken any
After the second week and have had some strange pains but the drugs were what was making me feel weird and I would rather have some pain also I can better tell what my body is doing.
Good luck everyone!
My mother had a colon resection 2 years ago. She still suffers from constipation. She always does a high fiber diet and has teid laxatives, but end up spending the night on the toilet trying to go. She does this twice a week or she feels ill to her stomache. She is 83 years old and the doctor tells her this is normal. It is affecting her quality of life. Any suggestions?
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.