constipation after gallbladder surgery
I had gallbladder surgery almost 6 weeks ago and have had severe constipation ever since.  Is this something that is going to continue due to have my gallbladder out or is there something I can do to fix this?  In the first few weeks I would go about 3-4 days without having a bowel movement and then on the 5th day I'd have diarreah.  In the last 2 weeks I've had an occasional small bowel movement every few days but nothing like it should be and no diarreah.  I had to take a laxative twice because I always feel like I have to go and am so uncomfortable in my lower abdomen.  What can I do?
Renee, check back with your doc about this. In addition, check to see if your stool is a much lighter color than normal - more on the whitish side than the 'normal' brown color. If the color has changed, be sure to tell the doc what's going on in addition to the lack of more regular bowel habits.