contracting spasms under left ribcage
I have been having contracting spasms under my left ribcage for about two weeks now.  They are very uncomfortable and last anywhere for 2-10 minutes.  They cause some pain.  I was diagnosed with IBS at 17 and have not had a flare up since 24 years old(I'm 36 now).  Does anyone know if these are just muscle spasms or is it something I should get checked out?  The frequency of the spasm attacks are increasing.  Thanks for any input.
do you take medication for the IBS....i am just starting on 10 mg of Bentyl before i eat and just before bed.  The doc said that this will stop my spasms which are in the same area as what you have stated.  I do not know yet if this will help but just wanted to let you know.  Good luck!
I have had these for years. to me it is like a charly-horse spasm. I get them under my rib cage or even in my stomach. It will bulge into a knot like a snake sometimes.
If I am near some BenGay and can rub it real fast into the spot it does help after a bit. I have asked doctors about it. they do not know what to tell me. It can start when I twist around to reach for something. Or just no reason at all.
I think it must be muscular.It can last from a few min. to 15 min. But I will tell you it is disabling at the time. The pain is fierce and I hope it doesn't happen while I'm driving. It's very sore afterwards just like when you get a charley-horse in your legs.
Joanie141
I have Fibromyalgia, which is horrid ~ I have spasms in my ribcage for 20+ minutes and must lie flat on my back.  I feel like a twisted pretzel during the 'attack' ... and the pain is unbearable.