Gastroenterology Community
diarrhea in elderly

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

diarrhea in elderly

my dad is 62 yr. old ,,, 3 days ago he experienced watery diarrhea once per day for three days and no other motions reported ,,, he tried luminal amoebicidals  and charcoal but showed no effect

how should he proceed ?
Your dad may have an obstruction making it so only the watery diarrhea is able to come out.  Because this is a possibility, he should go to the doctor TODAY and not wait longer to get this symptom he's having checked out.
If your dad is not having any pain or bleeding I would ask the pharmacist what would be best for him to take.  There are several anti-diarrhea medications but you need to check with the pharmacist if he is on any prescription medications.  Make sure he stays well hydrated and that he eats foods high in fiber.  If this continues then he needs to be seen for an evaluation, but it may just be a stomach bug.
Tranzor states their dad is having diarrhea just once per day, which does not sound consistent with what typically happens with a stomach virus.  However, intermittant diarrhea can be a symptom of a partial intestinal blockage.  Anti-diarrheal medication would not be indicated if this is what Tranzor's dad has.  It having been three days already, he really should go in to the doctor today about this.
thnx guys for replies ,, but he didnot report any type of pain ... i think it is inconsistent with I.O. , isn't it ?!

could it be a serious problem ?

P.S. he is anti-doctors :D he refuses to get checked by any physician , so can i proceed ? plz help  
Without knowing for sure what the trouble is, it is difficult for you to know what to do.

A well-respected website I've been looking at says it may cause severe pain that comes and goes- it doesn't say it always will cause pain.  (See private message.)

If it turns out he has a partial obstruction owing to a fecal impaction, he might need an enema.  But there are other cause for bowel obstruction, including cancer, and he really should see a gastroenterologist about this situation to get properly evaluated, diagnosed and treated.
Another thought- has he been eating solid foods or is he only taking in liquids?  If he has only been taking in non-solid food, this could wind up causing bulk not to form in stools.
thnx a million LivinginHope ,,, you just guided me to tell you something important ,, he has problems in his teeth and as i said he is anti-doctors so he refuses to see a dentist and he tends to eat semi-solid food as he told me ,,, so it may the cause not taking bulky food ,,, but could it end up in no stools at all ?!!!
I have FAP in my family and have dealt with many "blockages" and this is not the typical symptoms of a blockage, impaction maybe.  Diarrhea for 3 days is not a big thing to be concerned with except for staying hydrated.  However, with your dad not wanting to see a doctor and probably hasn't in many years there's not much you can do.  You need to convince him that if he doesn't go now his body will force him to go eventually and it may be too late.  By nipping things in the bud we can prevent any serious problems in the future.  You should also get him on probiotics either a supplement or yogurt enriched with it.  We are more apt to develop polyps after the age of 50 and that's why they suggest we start having colonoscopies at age 50.  A polyps can grow large enough to cause a blockage but your dad would have pain and possibly bleeding, he really needs to see a doctor for many reason.  Having bad teeth can lead to heart disease and he needs to address all of this.
You're welcome...not eating solids can lead to diarrhea, yes, but semi-solid is not the same as a liquidy diet, so I'm still uncomfortable with this..  

This reminds me that people with irritable bowel syndrome (I.B.S.) who have diarrhea (which would tend to happen more often than once a day in the case of I.B.S.) or constipation are instructed to take something like daily Metamucil, which is called a bulk-forming laxative.

But with your dad, even if he were on a pretty liquidy soft diet, there still would be an amount of fecal waste that would go along with how much he's eating.    Are you saying he now is having NOTHING pass- not even diarrhea type of stool?

Fecal impaction is one of the causes of a partial bowel obstruction.  There are some soft foods that though soft, can still be constipating- cheese, for example.  But if there is a fecal impaction (or another cause of a partial obstruction as the private message I sent you had information on), diarrhea may be all that can pass through the narrowed portion of colon.  Today, I found that Mayo Clinic suggests  a guideline of a change in bowel habits that lasts longer than a week should be when to see a doctor.  But if he has gone from diarrhea to no type of stool at all, the time to go in would be now!

Staying hydrated with diarrhea just once a day should be a fairly easy feat, but the cause of once a day watery diarrhea is what I hope you can discover quickly.

Regarding bad teeth- I have a cousin who had a defective heart valve.  He developed a tooth problem that he did not get taken care of in a timely fashion.  Sadly, the infection from that went right to the leaky valve, he had a massive stroke and died a short time afterward.  He was in his early sixties, so please do encourage your dad to see a reputable dentist!

Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers