Gastroenterology Community
different color bowels

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

different color bowels

I'd like to know why sometimes my bowels come out in two different colors.  First dark and then light.  Also why when I urinate does it create bubbles is that normal ?

Thank you.

Fred
Tags: bowel
Bubbles in your urine possible come from the rectum. If your rectum is inflammed, a fistula may create between the rectum and your urinary bladder. Other posible cause would be infection with some bacteria which produce gas.

Light stool (if yellow) means lack of bile acids (which normally give brown color of the stool). The cause may be liver disease or stones in the biliary ducts. If the stool is pale (whitish), foamy and sticky, this means fats in stool due to their inappropriate absorption in small intestine, due to infection or inflammation...
Bile is the component that 'colors' the fecal material. It's secreted as a kind of yellowy-green and as it travels through the digestive tract it turns brown. It's possible that you may have different amounts of bile mixed with the 'left-over' food. So you could have one portion of fecal material that is darker than the next part, and it's perfectly normal. But if it goes from very dark, to almost whitish you should talk to your doc.
I agree with boron that the air in your urine is probably due to a fistula allowing gas from the intestines to infiltrate the bladder.  A urologist would be a good place to start to check out that possibility.  Of course, there are plenty of other things to consider as well, and you'll ultimately need to see your doctor to get to the bottom of it.  Please don't wait because if you do indeed have a fistula, letting it go untreated can result in a far messier surgery to fix it.  If you have any other symptoms like low-grade fever,abdominal pain, pain during urination or burning, be sure to tell your doctor.
Bubbles in the urine can also be due to the presence of larger than normal amounts of protien in the urine known as proteinuria. The presence of protein changes the surface tension of the water in the urine, and result in bubbles or foamy urine. You may want to check to see is the protein loss is significant and 'means' anything. Sometimes it does, other times it may not. A quick check with a urine dipstick can help assess for significant protein loss in the urine.