difficult colonoscopy
I underwent a colonscopy this week, which was only supposed to be a screening, only to discover that the dr. was unable to perform the procedure due to the amount of twists and turns, being able to advance only a few centimeters. I was then sent for a barium enema xray, which showed spots high in the colon.  Now the dr. wants me to have a surgeon perform a colonoscopy under general anethesia.  I don't understand how that will help--how will they be able to get through the twists any easier?  So I'm worried about the procedure, as well as what the spots may be. (I'm trying not to think about that.)  I have tended to have irritable bowel syndrome in the past, and even though the prep for this time went well, I'm worried that my nerves will kick my bowel into spasms during this prep, and it will be bad.  OK, take out the word worried and put in scared.  Has anyone had this, or heard of it?
a lot of people have colonoscopies done under general by a gastroenterologist - i assume that's the surgeon to whom you are referring.  i've had two gone by a gastro, and i can't imagine having it done any other way.  i'd rather be completely out :)  it's probably because it would be too uncomfortable doing it without you "knocked out". just think about that tube having to stretch out a kink - no thanks!  you'll probably be fine.  good luck.
Some people who have intestional problems have a lot of intestional spasms.  These spasms can make the gut move around and get "twisty".  The scope used in outpatient colonoscopies isn't that flexible and if used in a twisty bowel has a high risk of puncturing the bowel. When you are asleep under general anesthesia, they can give you meds that will relax the bowel.  They can use a more flexible scope combined with a sort of ballon that will help to straighten out the bowel and allow them to see what the spots are and treat the problem.  Hope this helps.
I too have the same scenario...unable to do colonoscopy due to invasive endometriosis. I had the barium enema to confirm. He told me come back if you can't go! I believe my leg pain problems are due to this. Nothing was spoken about clearing the invading endo tissue. It's been 5 yrs now and I guess I'll seek out testing and my options. Probably at a big facility like Mayo Clinic or Shands here in Florida. I see your post was some years ago....so how are you fairing now? Did you get a resolve to your problem? Your comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Susan