Gastroenterology Community
digestive

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

digestive

Hello.
I have a problem I need help with, My husband has not been able to digest certain foods for a few months now. If he eats things like, pizza, salads, green vegetables, they never seem to digest.
He won't have a bowel movement for about 3 days after eating such, but then he will begin vomiting and only the pizza, veggies, or salad he had eaten 3 days prior will come up, but anything else he had eaten during that 3 days, will not.  His doctors only gave him meds for heart burn or acid reflux, I don't believe this is the case! We need some answers, he is loosing weight constantly and not in a healthy way. Please help!! He was a diabetic for years, but since a major weight loss over the past 3 years, he is no longer.(But the damage is done) He has hepatitis C, hypertension, and also has had to have an implant for dialysis. ( He needs a kidney transplant, but they won't do it because of his liver enzymes.) I am at my wits end trying to find a way to help my husband and make him feel better! Do you have any suggestions on what it may be or if there is something he can take that will help him get over this?? Thank you.
***@****
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would recommend seeing a gastroenterologist and asking for a gastric emptying scan to check for gastroparesis (slow emptying of the stomach), which is common in people with diabeties.
I totally agree with the advice given above. Those were some of the first symptoms I had of gastroparesis. And for YEARS was told I had GERD. All the usual GI tests kept coming back normal so that gastric emptying scan is necessary for diagnosis.

In the meantime for relief, I would suggest your husband follow a GP diet. You can find a lot of them on the web but the bottom line to most of them is to decrease the amount of fat and fiber in your diet. So NO raw veggies or fruit. If he is wanting those...try pureeing them, juicing them or baby food (not quite as bad as it sounds). Whole grains are out for the most part as well. Some of this is trial and error as some people with gastroparesis (GP) can tolerate more fat or fiber than others but he could give this a try and see if he feels at all better.

Also there is an herbal supplement from Germany (Ibergast) that is available via amazon. It increases gastric motility and would help if it is GP or GERD. No prescription is required but I would make sure it doesn't interfere with other meds. I have previously taken Reglan and domeperidone for GP but am now taking Ibergast and am impressed with how well it works. If it is going to be awhile before he can get in to see a GI doc it might be worth trying from some relief. Just make sure he mentioned that to the doctor as they usually prefer to be completely free of all meds that may alter stomach emptying.

Good luck! Hope he finds some relief soon. Sounds like his plate is full!
Thank you so much for your input! I will definately try that! Will post back with results when
they come in! Thanks so much!!!  Have a great week!!! =0)