Gastroenterology Community
diverticulitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

diverticulitis

Hi, I am new to this site. I've coped with diverticulitis for a few years now, living with the pain and its limitations. Now I've hit a wall and my G.P. has signed me off work. Can't believe how poorly I feel and the pain is constant. Having tests to eliminate anything sinister. Thing is I never lose time from work and have had 3 weeks off so far which is worrying me. At times I think I should just battle thru but know I need help so I just feel like I am going mad. Does anyone recognise what I am saying?
Hi there!

I understand what you must be going through. Diverticulitis can often be a debilitating condition. Aside dietary modification, medications to reduce inflammation may be helpful in decreasing the symptoms while with the development of complications such as abscess, fistulas etc, a surgery may be indicated. During the acute phase, a low fiber dies is preferred till inflammation subsides; while if the symptoms are severe/ excruciating a visit to the ER may be warranted. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating gastroenterologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I'm sorry to hear this. I have diverticulosis too. My life is sh*t because I have that and a hiatal hernia causing internal body pain as well as anxiety and severe depression, bad dental problems most likely gonna need dentures. I'm only 27 too. Hang in there. Know exactly how you feel. I have all these goals and things I want to fulfill but probably won't get to ever grow up and accomplish much of anything due to this trash i'm dealing with. Know exactly how you feel. I guess we can only do so much though right? So please never feel bad about yourself. I've dealt with it...." So you're 27? Why don't you have a job"? Others out there don't have any idea of what it's like to live in hell with debilitating issues like these and it helps to remember that many others wouldn't be able to handle it so well or do a whole awful lot either if it were them in our shoes yet they are very judgemental seemingly due to pride of their accomplishments due to not having these issues;as well as they can't fathom the pain or have any clue what it's like to try and function with these conditions... just need to remember that. Hang in there though. Think the worst is not being able to ever eat popcorn at the movies again or enjoy eating a burger due to the seeds they put all over the bun. No nuts, no seeds, no popcorn for life. :( I guess you get used to not getting to eat those things ever again eventually. ***** for me 10 fold due to my dental issues I cant even enjoy a steak so I'm extra forsaken into extra misery. :(