Gastroenterology Community
do i need colonoscopy?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

do i need colonoscopy?

i have a dull ache pain unfer my right rib almsot 4 monts.
it is coming and going during day. my ct scan, blood results  and ultrasound results are  normal.
i have a lot of gas after meals and bowel movement, bowel rumbling. do i need colonoscopy?
what can be my problem?
I had that type of pain when my gallbladder was inflamed. Have you had a HIDA scan or endoscopy? They could help rule out some things, then think about a colonoscopy?
thank you very much for your answer. in fact, 4 months ago when i went to a
gastroenterolog  after ultrasound it was said that I had liver inflammation which was confirmed by blood test results: i had elevated ast and alt enzyme levels. after following 3 months diet and exercise, i did 3 more blood tests and the ast-alt enzyme levels decreased always and in the final blood test they were in the normal range. however, the dull ache pain under my right rib continued to come and go in an irregular pattern. currently i have ibs kind symptoms and in fact i do not believe it is ibs because ibs does not cause liver enzymes to be elevated. a few days ago doctor suggested to do a ct-scan on right hand side to be sure that there is no problem in other parts and the results were clear. so in addition to ct scan, do i still need hida scan?  as to you mains. was that a dull ache below the right rib? how long did it last? did you have also ibs kind symptoms?
My pain was an ache that came and went, under the right rib. I had other symptoms yes, like bad nausea then pretty much IBS and GERD symptoms. My ultrasound showed some gallbladder polyps, which if they grow large can turn into cancer. When my gb was removed it had adhesions all over it too, meaning it had been inflamed, and hadn't worked properly since.

Someone else will probably help you out a bit more with this, I'm no expert.

The clear CT I'm guessing means there is no liver cancer, or blocked bile ducts etc. Which is good! It could have been a simple infection that has passed? I don't know much about liver enzymes etc, my bilirubin is high for apparently no reason at the moment :)

The HIDA scan will show how your gallbladder is functioning, if the ejection fraction is under a certain percent it's recommended to have it removed.
A colonoscopy would show any cancers, polyps, infections or colitis in the large intestine so it would be a good idea if the pain stays.

You said blood results were normal, have you been tested for coeliac disease and lactose intolerance etc? If this is only after you've eaten try eliminating certain foods or even be tested for food allergies perhaps.
Hi Dear Doctor,
4 months ago I started to have a dull ache under my right rib.
my last blood results are as follows:

-Bilirubine direkt: 0.24 mg/dL (range: 0.2 - 1.3)
-Bilirubine totaal: 0.7 mg/dL
-SGOT: 34 U/L (range: 17-59)
-SGPT: 53 U/L (range: 21-72)
-Alkalische Fosfatase: 81 U/L  (range: 38-126)
-Gamma-GT: 28 U/L (range: 15-73)
-LDH: 480 U/L (range: 313-618)

The dull ache pain below liver continues: it is very irregular: it comes and goes during the day.
Recently, I have developed some other symptoms: there is bloating, constipation and a lot of wind after meals.
Also, bowel movement and rumbling. When I go to toilet, I feel a relief. Also, sometimes the dull ache region gets itching a little bit and the dull ache region
is a little bit hot. No vomiting, no blood in stool and no appetite loss.
A few days ago, my gastroenterologist ordered a CT scan for the right hand side and it was normal: normal liver, pancreas,  gall bladder, kidney and abdominal wall.
She said that she does not know the reason for dull ache pain below the liver.
What can be the reasons for the dull ache under liver and what should I do?
Thanks in advance,