Gastroenterology Community
does crushing pain meds for the sphincter of oddi attack help

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I just finally realized I think I have the sphincter of oddi spasms after taking narcotics, I had my GB out 8-2010. and I hadn't put 2 & 2 together, it started with ultram, after taking it I would get these horrible attacks that sent me to the ER, once I had acute pancreatitis with amylase & lipase levels elevated. I finally thought I must be allergic to ultram now, but the same attack happened at the hospital after receiving morphine, I thought it was an ulcer, but yesterday I took 2 tylenol with codeine for lower abdominal pain and about 20 mins later I had that same pain, I described it to my husband as it felt like a GB attack or the same as when I had pancreatitis. My question is I thought I read something where somebody tried to crush their pain meds and mix it with food and it seemed to not cause the sphincter to spasm, can anyone correlate with this?

This discussion is related to Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction Questions.
Luckyace, I'm not sure crushing the meds would have any effect on SOD. The problem with SOD is that taking many of the narcotic-type meds causes pressures in the duct to rise and that rise causes the pain, unfortunately. Talk with your doc about managing the discomfort. In the meantime, if you haven't been evaluated for SOD and it seems to you and and your doctor that it could be the cause, you need to consult with a specialist who deals with that disorder since it seems that many any GI docs aren't that familiar with it's treatment.