Gastroenterology Community
dumping syndrome after gall bladder removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my gall bladder removed last year. I have talked to several people who seem to have the same issue of having to run to the bathroom shortly (usually within 5-15 minutes) after a meal with some fairly explosive results. I have tried changing my diet. Even ate completely vegetarian for two months. This has not seemed to help. I ate a snack on the way home one day and had an accident in the car (sorry TMI). I am scared to eat out. I can't seem to find which foods trigger it. Just when I think I have figured it out, I will eat the food in isolation and nothing happens. It is like my bowels have taken on a mind of their own.

Anyone else have the same issue? If so, what have you done that has helped with the problem. I am currently almost 11 weeks pregnant so, I am interested in hearing about less invasive ways to deal with the issue. However, I won't be pregnant forever, so if there is something prescription or otherwise please let me know.
Tags: questran
It can be the ingestion of fatty foods that can trigger some of the problems. So if you can maintain a low fat diet it might be of help. After the baby, you may want to talk to your doc about using a bile-binding resin like questran to see if it's of help.
I, too, am pregnant. I empathize with your situation. I had my gallbladder removed in 2004 and began taking Questran about 3 months later (after living a miserable life for those 3 months!). I took my vitamins while trying to become pregnant at opposite ends of the day from the Questran. Questran has been my lifesaver! However, my Ob-Gyn does not want me to take the drug while pregnant, but my family physician and fertility doctors okayed it. So, to be safe, I stopped taking the Questran  the day after I found out I was pregnant. I have not completely conquered the situation, but I found a "diet" from the University of Pittsburgh Hospital. The diet mainly asks you to avoid sugar. However, the big help comes from some basic common sense info: (1) immediately lie down for at least 20 minutes after eating and (2) do NOT drink liquids with meals. I wait 1 hour. My stomach still gets upset, sometimes, but not as urgently and violently as before. The key, for me, has been SLOWING the emptying of the stomach contents. Gravity and liquids are the enemy, as they speed things up waaay too much. Here is the link:

http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/DumpingSynDiet.pdf

I hope this helps. Everyone is different, but this is helping me manage the problem better. However, as soon as I finish nursing the baby next year, I will immediately go back to the Questran!
I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago,  I am having sever issues ever since also.  When I am eat, I am so in the bathroom.   Stopped eating messy except for chicken and fish. Go a few days then starts up again with diarrira. My tummy is in knots all the time.

What can I do than stop eating all together.
   I had my gall bladder removed in 2012 and it has been a nightmare ever since! I can relate to all of your pain. I have no cure or suggestions sorry
      However, my gastro doctor tested me for Chron's disease stating that the symptoms were extremely similar.
   If anyone comes up with anything that will help lease email me the info.

Laura
Hi Laura I have a low fat, no meat diet and that helps.