Gastroenterology Community
effects after gallbladder surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

effects after gallbladder surgery

I just had gallbladder surgery Friday and since then have been feeling horrible. Sharp pains in center of my upper abdomen and right side, extreme nausea, constipation. Are these normal effects and if so, how long does it take before I start to feel better? I don't seem to be getting better at all even after 5 days.

This discussion is related to After Effects of Gall Bladder Removal.
I know the pain medication can cause the constipation if you are still on that. The pain medicine can also cause the nausea and so can the surgery itself. The sharp pains could be from the gas they pumped in you to remove your gallbladder. Usually the pent up gas that wasn't completely released will cause pain or discomfort. I don't know how long it is all supposed to last for the average person. With my surgery last week I was constipated for the first like 4 or 5 days and then it got better when I laid off the pain medicine but then for some reason I started to get a lot of nausea but it is starting to get better and it has been about 8 days now. I did not have any gas pains but I did have a little gas. I think that all just depends on how well it was drained from you at the end of surgery, just my opinion there.  I am sure some of it just gets trapped in your body too.  I don't know the exact answer to that.  

I would call your surgeon and let them know you are still having a lot of pain and find out if that is normal. Tell them what and where your pain is.  Esp. tell them about the constipation.
Hope this helps.
Magnesium is all natural safe way to get your bowels moving. My doctor recommended a product called Calm to me...you mix it with a little warm water and take at night. It helps greatly!! I am a thyroid patient and get constipated a lot.....since taking this product every night, I am moving my bowels every day easily. It tastes great as I got the lemon-raspberry flavor. I get mine at the vitamin shoppe, but most health food stores should carry it.
I had my gallbladder removed 5/5/09. I had one attack of biliary colic before the surgery. After the surgery, I took a while to feel better, even had another attack of biliary colic - post-surgery. I have to be extremely careful what I eat. I had an upper endoscopy today. I have erosive esophagitis and will start taking Nexium in the morning. This is all very frustrating. My gastro gave me Miralax to try and I ended up with a severe reaction to it. They called it hypocalcaemia(?) and my muscles in my jaw, neck, arms, hands went into spasms. I think some of us just take longer to recover than others. So many people have said to me that "I had the surgery and I was fine right away!" Well, bully for them. Some of us have other health issues that are getting in the way. By the way, I found out the hard way to stay far, far away from tomato based pasta sauce. Way to much acid. Good luck, don't give up. We'll both feel well eventually.