Gastroenterology Community
elevated ALT and ASL

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

elevated ALT and ASL

Hi ,
I am a 38 year old woman about 5'7" 190 lbs
I was just told that my liver levels were out of normal range.
My ALT is 95 (normal for this lab said 10-50) and my ASL is 57 (normal is 10-50)

They want me to have an ultrasound... These levels seem so high.
How concerned should I be?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kim

This discussion is related to high ALT level !!!!!!.
Don't be too concerned. My AST and ALT levels were in the 600's and 700's last year. Have you been drinking alcohol or on any medication? Both alcohol and or medication can cause the levels to become elevated. Just do the ultrasound and do whatever the doctor wants done. I am glad your doctor is on top of it.
I am new to all this.  I just discovered - toady - that my AST is 42 and my ALT is 72.  The only med I take is Asephex (?) for my stomach.  All other blookd work came back normal, except for the cholesterol, which was through the roof - 288 with an LDL level of 208.

It appears my physician is more concerned with the cholesterol levels than my ALT / AST scores.

Being the type of person that I am, I did some digging online and found out that marginally high ALT scores are not a good sign.  

Any advise?

Thank you for your help,
Frank
If you are worried about it then I would talk to your doctor about this again. He/she needs to know you're concerned. Have you done any research online about the medications you are taking? These can cause elevated liver enzymes too, so can Tylenol and aspirin.