Gastroenterology Community
elevated lipase, peptic ulcer and back apin.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

about two years ago I had a peptic ulcer. had an endoscopy and that is when they found it. I took previcid for a while and it went away. I fely good for a long time. Now about two months ago I vomited in the middle of the night. The next day I felt the same pain I had when I had the ulcer. I went back on my previcid and it didn't go away. I went to the doctors. Had some blood work done. Lipase is elevated. 419. I was put on nexium and it is starting to get some what better but my back as before is a little sore after I eat. Should I be concerned. I am going to see a specialist soon but I always get anxiety over this. The pain in my stomach comes and goes. I sleep well at night with no pain. I am not jaundice, Fell fine other than my back and my stomach. My lipase was elevated two years ago as well so I think I disrupted things when I vomited. What do you think.
I don't drink I don't smoke I exercise 5 days a week. I am not over weight. though I have lost a few pounds due to the fact that I don't want to eat because it hurts at times.
Any sujections. I always worry about cancer. Seems like so many people have it these days.
Thanks.
Gastro might want to check
- trypsin, and CA 19-9 to see if it is pancreatitis, or pancreatic cancer.  
- H. pylori that is a common cause of peptic ulcer

He will probably prescribe you some anti-acid drug..., so what you can do until then, is that you avoid alcohol, acidic food, aspirins.. and everything you know that harms you.
H Pylori is negative amylise is negagtive as well. It does feel better from time to time. I hope this is a good sign. I am think that I desturbed the ulcer by the vomiting. It is the same pain I had  two years ago. What is a CA 19-9
CA 19-9 is one substance that is often elevated in pancreatic cancer.

Beside gastric ulcer, it can be a small tear in esophagus due to vomiting, or esophagus was irritated by acid. If anti-acids drugs, even in elevated dose, won't help, then it is an endoscopy that may show what is actually going on in your stomach or esophagus (or duodenum...) Blood in stool can be detected in stomach ulcer by Hemoccult test.
yeah i do want an endoscopy that is what they did the last time. it's an easy procedure you are sleeping basically. I am beginning to feel so much better though.Pain seem s to be less and less. Could this be a good sign.My back still hurts some but i remember it did the last time as well. Poops are very normal urine is as well. i go for more blood work next wednesday and they will check the lipase at that time.I hope it goes down some. I get anxiety over this kind of stuff.
Thannks for replying so quickly it helps me lots
Maybe your esophagus was "only" irritated by acid, and inflammed - and now this is resolving...lessening of symptoms is surely a good sign. Don't want to make any final conclusions at this poin though.
I am calling today to see why it is taking so long for the appointment. I asked for the specialist I saw before. He is in Dartmouth Hitcock hospital. One of the best hospital around. The best is always better for me. I'll keep you posted.