elevated liver function tests
I recently had a metabolic panel done, resulting elevated AST (58) and ALT (72).  Should I be concerned and do I need to stop drinking my evening glass of red wine?
Yikes, I just heard back from my doctor today and my AST is 229 and ALT is 161.  Those are severely out of order, I know.  Troubling, especially since I don't drink alcohol, or smoke, or take anything except Effexor XR (antidepressant) and Ritalin (for ADD).  What could cause those levels to be so high?  I feel fine, nothing wrong that I know of GI wise.
Did your doctor mention anything about it?  Those are just mildly elevated.  That is where mine normally are and my liver is normal.  I had to go through a ton of tests though, including a liver biposy.  Do you exercise?  That can cause them to be mildly elevated, becuase ALT/AST are in your muscles, as well as your liver.  If you are really worried you can always consider asking for a referal to a gastroenterologist.
looks normal to me . my ast was 30 alt15 . Have been low for about 8 months they've been checking them because my ammnia levels have been high and the last ggt was high but ammnia level ok. Anyway they did a biopsy to try and figure out the mystery of the amonia. OOPSSS got results today. Found out they didnt get any liver only part of a lymph node. No wonder I was in so much pain
Now they want me to go through it over again. I"m doomed by Dr.s. A glass of wine sounds good.