Gastroenterology Community
elevated liver function tests
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

elevated liver function tests

I recently had a metabolic panel done, resulting elevated AST (58) and ALT (72).  Should I be concerned and do I need to stop drinking my evening glass of red wine?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Yikes, I just heard back from my doctor today and my AST is 229 and ALT is 161.  Those are severely out of order, I know.  Troubling, especially since I don't drink alcohol, or smoke, or take anything except Effexor XR (antidepressant) and Ritalin (for ADD).  What could cause those levels to be so high?  I feel fine, nothing wrong that I know of GI wise.
Blank
160332_tn?1207766145
Did your doctor mention anything about it?  Those are just mildly elevated.  That is where mine normally are and my liver is normal.  I had to go through a ton of tests though, including a liver biposy.  Do you exercise?  That can cause them to be mildly elevated, becuase ALT/AST are in your muscles, as well as your liver.  If you are really worried you can always consider asking for a referal to a gastroenterologist.
Blank
looks normal to me . my ast was 30 alt15 . Have been low for about 8 months they've been checking them because my ammnia levels have been high and the last ggt was high but ammnia level ok. Anyway they did a biopsy to try and figure out the mystery of the amonia (ammonia). OOPSSS got results today. Found out they didnt get any liver only part of a lymph node. No wonder I was in so much pain
Now they want me to go through it over again. I"m doomed by Dr.s. A glass of wine sounds good.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank