Gastroenterology Community
epigastric pain radiating towards back

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

epigastric pain radiating towards back

somebody tell me this is not serious... I have panic attacks really easy and I have already had 1 yesterday and today because my stomach right in the "pit" under my rib cage is hurting, tender to touch, feels hard and the pain is radiating towards my back.. with sharp intermittent pains in the lower back and flank... severe nausea, but no vomiting... yet... freaking me out!  help!  thanks
Hm, stomach pain may be from intense muscular spasm. It could be just from anxiety, but, if you have some of below symptoms, it may be "organic".

Gastric disease goes with belching, burning sensation, heart-burn, dull pain in the miidle upper abdomen, often "spreading" upper, so also felt under the breastbone, it is worse after acidic food, wine, fruit juice, spices. Vomiting is not usual in gastritis or peptic ulcer.
Pain from gallbladder disease is located more to the right.

Upper endoscopy (gastroduodenoscopy) is the only investigation to tell, what's happening inside your stomach or duodenum.

well I am going to see my GI doc monday.. I have GERD and was taking AcipHex but had to stop when I found out I was pregnant.. so I am hoping it is just severe GERD related to that.. however, my lower back (flank, both sides) )is hurting more this morning, where the kidneys are.??? I am just wondering if the 2 can be related.. took pepto bismol last night and that seemed to help the stomach pain a little, but not completely...  thanks for input!
Pepto-Bismol can help in gastritis or gastric ulcus; it covers the mucosa and protect it this way a liitle. I guess your doctor examined your kidneys today, so you can tell about the findings.
Hey.. didn't seen my GI doc yet as the pain went away.. but I am definitely going tomorrow as it came back.. but after I took Tylenol... so I think I it is an ulcer.. just like you said.. because that week  that I had the pain I was taking a lot of Tylenol for dental pain..... I have read online that acetaminophen does not aggrivate ulcers.. but there must be some exceptions.. my mom cannot take Tylenol as it upsets her stomach... she has to take aspirin.. that is backwards for most.. so I will find out tomorrow mostly  because maybe takign my AcipHex again will help with that.. (may have had a miscarriage) so this way I can get GI doc to check to see if I am still prego and if not.. will start taking the AcipHex again... thanks for all your help.. I think you are right on about the ulcer..
Maybe this can be of some help:

You can ask the doctor if he (or the one who diagnosed you with GERD), knows, what is actual reason for your GERD - is it an anatomical change in your stomach/esophagus, or is it due to increased acid secretion (or both).

Anatomical changes may be treated with surgery.
Acid hypersecretion is treated with H2 blockers (Ranital..) or with antacids (Tums).

AcipHex is also an option. There are quite some drugs which block acid secretion though.
I agree with boron, if the doc who diagnosed the GERD didn't perform any type of tests to properly diagnose the reason I think you should definetly press for that.  My GERD is related to my hiatal hernia and it caused some esophageal erosions so I frequently get the acid sensation in my throat.  Have them perform an endoscopy, they should be able to diagnose the origin of it with that.  I had an upper GI done 5 years ago and it showed nothing but my endoscopy last year showed the hernia and the erosions.  I asked if the erosions were new and he told me no, but he couldn't say if they had been when I had the upper GI.  He did tell me that the endoscopy is a much better test to perform than the upper GI because you get a much better look at everything.